The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Change- Made 500,000 Sales

Do you believe I will accomplish my goal of 500k physical copies sold within the year of publishing?

• Yes. You will accomplish your goal.

• I should have voted yes earlier

• I think you're just going to flat-out fail.

• Get a job, moron!

• Nope. You can't even write well in this thread.

Results are only viewable after voting.
G

GuestUser113

6CeNMoL.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012

Change

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Mar 15, 2015
I am somewhat disappointed. You remind me of those who said I can't do something I've done explicitly, because they told me I can't.

What wasteful posts. Doesn't seem other threads are being spammed like this, but I guess I'm the frustrated chump on the block or laughing stock. It is my pleasure to be amusing, not so much to be laughed at- doesn't feel very welcoming here. Perhaps it was a bad thing to start this thread. Regardless... what starts has an end, fortunately for those making fun, I'll be around longer.

It is definitely going to take more than 1 hour, or the allotted time I noted on the first post to accomplish those few tasks.

So far- I have only chosen a title, and bounced around ideas/topics etc on this free mind mapping site I found. It definitely beats writing ideas down in a book or on my window with a marker.

---
Keep in mind, I do this as a young man who is to finish his last semester in college this May 2015, all while trying to start an internet marketing firm.

So ladies and gentlemen, pardon my failure in your eyes, for now all I see is success because a man can't rise if he's not at the bottom.

I will give an update soon enough.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
I am somewhat disappointed. You remind me of those who said I can't do something I've done explicitly, because they told me I can't.

What wasteful posts. Doesn't seem other threads are being spammed like this, but I guess I'm the frustrated chump on the block or laughing stock. It is my pleasure to be amusing, not so much to be laughed at- doesn't feel very welcoming here. Perhaps it was a bad thing to start this thread. Regardless... what starts has an end, fortunately for those making fun, I'll be around longer.

It is definitely going to take more than 1 hour, or the allotted time I noted on the first post to accomplish those few tasks.

So far- I have only chosen a title, and bounced around ideas/topics etc on this free mind mapping site I found. It definitely beats writing ideas down in a book or on my window with a marker.

---
Keep in mind, I do this as a young man who is to finish his last semester in college this May 2015, all while trying to start an internet marketing firm.

So ladies and gentlemen, pardon my failure in your eyes, for now all I see is success because a man can't rise if he's not at the bottom.

I will give an update soon enough.
Here's the thing.

I've only been on these forums a few months, but it seems like every week there's a new member who's never done anything like this before making outlandish claims about how they're going to make a billionaire dollars by the time they're 30 dropshipping or a million a month with their Teespring campaigns.

Usually those people are gone before their tenth post.

Change

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Mar 15, 2015
First steps:
1.) make a cover
2.) market the sh*t out of it - take 1 year and do massive marketing like Tim Ferriss did for 4hwwk.

Otherwise be prepared for this:
View attachment 9315
That book is in prime real estate in a website that gets 200+ uniques per day.
Dismal innit?

What are you going to do different?

I read 4HWW a while ago, I follow a lot of what he says. It saves a lot of time, he's a smart guy.

As to what I'm going to do different... should I write the book, and have it printed, to only start a bonfire with it? Metaphorically speaking...

If there is any tip I can give, with how "little" it seems I know on the subject it is that- Controversy sells. And that no one will promote something if it doesn't instil an emotion worth the strain to click a few buttons and share such ideas (in this case, my book) with their friends and family.

Change

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Mar 15, 2015
Here's the thing.

I've only been on these forums a few months, but it seems like every week there's a new member who's never done anything like this before making outlandish claims about how they're going to make a billionaire dollars by the time they're 30 dropshipping or a million a month with their Teespring campaigns.

I've noticed that as well actually. I've been readings things on this forum for some time. I now understand where these spammy posts are coming from, it is myself- still being put in the category of everyone else who failed at their proclamations.

I find that if something doesn't work, it must change, and should change infinitely until it does.

I chose "Change" as my username here because I want to change. I do not like where I am financially, mentally, physically and socially (I need income, I want to be muscular not lean, I want to be more social/not shy/more outgoing and a lot smarter or intellectual, filled with more wisdom and insightful). To change my life, and most importantly, change the lives of those I can reach is a bit more selfish of a desire than money to me.

Writing, I believe is a very inexpensive way to help people while helping myself. I see no reason why I can't help myself through writing and at the same time help those in similar situations as myself.

Change is infinite, and as such, it can be done. I can and will reach my goals in due time. And I say "due time" because yes, I do agree, the results I want will not come easily.

Edit: I would like to think...I am going to say, I am in the process of creating "the thing I wish existed."

Last edited:

Charmander

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Feb 20, 2015
Slovakia

Really, the only "easy" / best way to succeed is in my opinion this one :
First steps:
1.) make a cover
2.) market the sh*t out of it - take 1 year and do massive marketing like Tim Ferriss did for 4hwwk.

Otherwise be prepared for this:

That book is in prime real estate in a website that gets 200+ uniques per day.
Dismal innit?

What are you going to do different?

I have something to add : and that is that a huge percantage of books, are NOT READ ONCE BOUGHT!!! Which means that the MOST IMPORTANT THING to THE BOOK IS THE COVER.

Like 90%+ of books were bought, then the person who bought it read just the first few pages, and put it away.

But really,
the barrier to entry in this market is SO FREAKING LOW!!! that (as said elsewhere) - everyone just keeps hearing stories like some stay at home mom makes 100k $ / month(writing some shitty book), that THE MARKETPLACE IS OVERSATURATED.

SO if you want to sell something in a market with such a low barrier of entry you have to (as said in TMF) BECOME EXEPTIONAL AT IT - which (no offense) you clearly aren´t.(obviously)

Last edited by a moderator:

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
I want to change.

Then you have to stop focusing on you. Stop saying I want, say how can I help, how can I provide value? Sounds like you understand the forum's response to you initial thread, so be realistic, and help others. It's about your customers. Period.

Charmander

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Feb 20, 2015
Slovakia
I read 4HWW a while ago
4HWW is just a book for "selfish" people(and do not take this literrary, almost all people here have read it obviously), because people buy it for the reason to work the least, for the most amount of payoff - let me guess,

Maybe because they are
(as everyone else in the world-btw: huge market)
Lazy and OFTEN selfish?

Take this literrary: The 4 HWW - title - just SCREAMS : Do not work at all, work ONLY 4 hours a week(seriously, who wouldn´t want to work 4 hours a week, when they spend 50 hours a week at a job?)
It screams this in your head: THIS IS THE BOOK
I NEED TO BUY!
The truth is, the most sucessfull people work HUNDREDS of hours a week! I would say including the author of 4hww.(well atleast during the time he was not where he is now)
quote.jpg
I am in the process of creating "the thing I wish existed."
Does anyone ELSE wish it existed aswell?

Last edited:

Change

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Mar 15, 2015
I shortened your post- but I agree with you there on everything...

I wasn't really looking for something easy to do. Easy to me is...I can just start my own accounting firm as a CPA and get a hundred or so clients average for a small office and be fine doing taxes/payrolls and audits. But that's not what I want out of my life even if that is what I'm certified/a professional at- doing accounting work etc. In the average Joe's- be a slave to someone/time for money, I'm set...do I want that? No, I don't.

I know that these book sales are hard to come by. Your post has been the most helpful compared to everyone else. You're not criticizing my goals, and I thank you for that. Call me someone with low self-esteem, or whatever else people want to call me.

The cover- you're right, the cover is very important, and I will make sure to make it "perfect."

I may not be exceptional at writing. I admit that. But writing is only part of it...

4HWW is just a book for "selfish" people(and do not take this literrary, almost all people here have read it obviously), because people buy it for the reason to work the least, for the most amount of payoff - let me guess,

Does anyone ELSE wish it existed aswell?

I agree with everything on your next post. It is a book for selfish people. My book is selfish to people too, that's actually the 2nd thing I wrote on my mind-mapping spree for this. But aside from that- as I mentioned previously, controversy sells because it leads to people "doing" something about it. If you can get someone riled up, they will share it. If you can instill that kind of an emotion in someone they will definitely help your sales go up on their own.

I would say I'm not an imbecile with what I want to accomplish. And not being childish. I read a lot, what I do for "fun" is just that- read things that will help/contribute to my life one way or another. From subliminal advertising, and neuro-linguistic programming to sub-modalities, psychology etc. I know I can create and write to get people to actually take action and change.

That is the goal of the book- To get the reader to wake up and take action towards a new-found purpose created by themselves and for their selfish means.

There are plenty of people without a purpose, without goals, without anything to look forward to, without etc... I hope my book changes those things.

Your posts have been very helpful. I do appreciate it :)

Edit: I think a need is to be filled by reading my book, as per your question.

Last edited:

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
I want to change. I do not like where I am financially, mentally, physically and socially (I need income, I want to be muscular not lean, I want to be more social/not shy/more outgoing and a lot smarter or intellectual, filled with more wisdom and insightful). To change my life, and most importantly, change the lives of those I can reach is a bit more selfish of a desire than money to me.

As you can tell, everyone here is up to the eyes in bold, big claims that are going to write their name on the moon in 2.5 months.

Ambition is great, and required, but you need to actually have a plan.
And actually put in some serious action.
THEN you get results.

Once you do all that... you'll actually realize how much work it requires to sell 500k books.

How about you try selling 50 first?

Focus on the next step right, why you writing about your game winning play, when you need to worry about how to win the tip-off?

Get to work.

[HASHTAG]#Done[/HASHTAG].

P.s Ferraris are better in white. :)

EricZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 18, 2014
Germany & California
Here's the thing.

Nevertheless, I think it's important for people to publicly declare their goals. We shouldn't make it a circus here, this is the forum with quality executioners...right?

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
Nevertheless, I think it's important for people to publicly declare their goals. We shouldn't make it a circus here, this is the forum with quality executioners...right?
It's also important to tell people when their claims are ridiculous. Otherwise it's not a forum, it's what the kids these days call a circlejerk.

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA

It is good to publicly declare goals because it makes you accountable...but if your goal is unrealistic people will quickly enlighten you.

EricZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 18, 2014
Germany & California
I agree with all of you guys, I just don't think it's right to shoot newbies down and make fun of them (NOT directed at you or any specific). That makes them leave the forum and say "what a bunch of jerks, why did I go there anyway?"
Negative motivation works, for sure, imho Reality Checks are better and that's what we should give newbs who make outlandish claims.

Change

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Mar 15, 2015
EricZ, I appreciate trying to defend me. Thank you for that, but I don't mind the criticism. A reaction is always better than no reaction.

Update: I have found a purpose, a title to go in hand with it etc and have started writing today. Took me around 1 hour or less to write 491 words and fix/change things around but they are some dam good ones, at least I'd like to think so.

New sub-goals, keeping in mind that things are always 1 step at a time...

1. Write 1,000-2,000 words a day, regardless of how long it takes me. (This will not be spot on, depending on the momentum of the writing, If my words are flowing well etc, I will keep at it until they stop, everything else in life permitting.)

Much slower than I thought this would be. But oh well. I'm excited. I just hope this excited nature to get this rolling stays for longer than a few weeks. It definitely will take time.

Edit: Forgot to mention- I created a website for the location the readers of the book can discuss/communicate etc,. A place I can sell/promote the book through. Somewhat like what MJ DeMarco has done with the Fastlane Forum after The Millionaire Fastlane. Have wrote blog posts that will hopefully bring visitors through organic searches to the site. Will promote the site within the book as well.

Will also implement a monthly membership system, which will "hold the hand of readers" towards meeting what the purpose of the book is, I used to have my own membership program in the dating niche when I was in High School and have experience in this.

Edit again: All that Ferrari/Lamborghini talk...I don't want any of them. I bought a Mercedes CLS 550 AMG in November a few months ago :) Best car I have ever owned.

Also, I have experience in public speaking and motivational speech, if that makes a difference in thoughts bouncing around.

Last edited:

Berliner030

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 1, 2014
It's better to set high goals than low goals but you have to be realistic when you set your goals. And $1 million within your fist year is absolutely unrealistic. You have no idea of the market, no experience with selfpublishing, no stats, no team in your background etc. - it's pure reverie.

No one wants to destroy your dreams but you expect too much. It's dangerous if you set your goals too high because if you're not getting the expected results you'll give up quickly.

A better goal would be:
- I want to publish 5-10 books in different niches within my first month.

Then you have real stats/numbers and you are able to set realistic goals for the next months.

-------------

When I started in May 2014 (10 month ago) I expected nothing. I wanted to be financial free within 12 month. I reached $1,5k in my second month and was financial free. Then I set my goal: "I want to make $5k/month until the end of 2014 (6 month)" and I made $7k/month. I read a lot about selfpublishing and personality development during this time and then I had the experience to focus on publishing. Actually I'm making about $13k/month after 10 month. I set new goals: "I want to make $25k/month at the end of 2015 and have $200k on my bank account." I also set long term goals: "If I'll make $25k/month from the beginning of 2016 I need 4 years to become a millionaire. But within these 4 years I'll keep working to make 30, 40 or maybe $50k/month. So let's say I'll need 3 years to become a millionaire. "

Do you see the difference between my dreams/goals and yours? My dreams are big but realistic. I have a plan based on numbers and they don't lie. Your dream is just pure imagination ...based on nothing.

You want to publish a book about "neuro-linguistic programming" and you've no idea about how to set goals.

Last edited:

Change

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Mar 15, 2015
There is a plan to everything I do and believe that what I have in store should be good if not phenomenal.

Your process is different, reach x amount, then reach y amount, then reach z amount...that's fine. Just because one person sets an end goal doesn't mean the goal in between those instances isn't exactly what you state.

I'm going to stop replying to things on this thread that are in "Defense" of myself and my set motions, think it makes me look weaker than I really am.

So...I'll only reply if constructive beside the point of- "lower your goals."

Thanks.

ChrisJTurner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Mar 13, 2015
UK
Go for it!
I think you`ll do it.

I think maybe some people are afraid of big goals because they have failed their own.
Misery loves company.

I've got massive goals and as soon as I have it all mapped out and fully researched (my previous downfall), I will post up on this forum.

Keep working and grinding

Wish you all the best

EvanOkanagan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Aug 2, 2013
"The 4-Hour Workweek would reach No. 1 on the New York Times bestseller list, No. 1 on the Wall Street Journal bestseller list, and No. 1 on the BusinessWeek bestseller list.[52] It has currently sold over 1,350,000 copies and has spent nearly 4 years on the New York Times bestseller list.[4][5][53][54]"

I'm all for big goals, but read the above stats from 4HWW. That's an average of 337,500 books a year, being #1 on NY Times, WSJ, and BusinessWeek and holding a spot on NY Times 4 years in a row. You'll need to do BETTER than that.

Godspeed, Change.

Change

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Mar 15, 2015
At the rate of my writing, and how many pages it takes to complete a mere chapter by taking into account how many complete thoughts I have per subject and how much chapters I currently have outlined to want to include to reach my full goal and offer a complete package for mankind... it seems my book will require around 800 pages.... Ermm I want to say yikes.

---
I have some questions if people would like to be insightful :)

If I were to split the book in half, do you think that would be a better option as opposed to a single book at such a length? I feel it would defy the purpose of the book to offer it in 2 parts... I wanted it to be the one-stop-solution...it can't be "one-stop" if its 2 books : / I don't have to figure this out momentarily but I like trying to figure out all the pieces before jumping into something or else I'm going to fail without a great plan.

Next, I also want to know your thoughts on- If I were to offer a mere chapter/introduction- what sales count would state "ok, there is the demand you want it to have" continue writing the rest.

No one really talks about membership programs as fastlane businesses on here (I don't think)...the insiders is a "membership" type of implementation- If the book is to offer mere guidance towards a purpose- the membership-part of it all, can be the "step-by-step" part accompanied by the membership program/class/instruction and so on. When I was in High School I ran a membership program in the dating niche for a similar concept- Not at this complexity of course, but from those who read my article in the school paper, I had a very sizable group of kids join, and I walked them through everything, it was incredibly fun, I loved it, until the school closed it down. I want to use the sales from a chapter/testing group- to start a membership base and to start in it's self-promotion before the book is even fully written.

Thoughts on this would be great.
Thank you!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!