The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Can We Talk Tools for the "Maker Market"?

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
Is there a freelance platform for makers?

The closest thing I found was Etsy, but you can't post a job and let makers come to you (as far as I can tell). Seems like a potential "next big thing" in freelancing. Where can I go to just post what I want and have someone pitch me on their services?

"I need a leather worker to create 50 custom leather shark laser key chains. If that's you, please send past samples and your price."

Is this a thing yet or is this an opportunity?
I think there's something called "Makers Row" that does something like this.

karakoram

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Apr 9, 2011
San Antonio, TX
A DIY foundry could be used to cast jewelry like rings, broached , etc. You could get raw material (gold) from old, discarded PCBAs (printed circuit board assemblies).

Regarding the original topic:
Here's an idea given to me by another Maker: he designed a device (a PCBA) based on Arduino, for the IOT. It featured the ability to create a mesh network. He needed to assemble many hundreds of these PCBAs to meet his Indiegogo orders. He was going crazy trying to put these together by hand. They were all SMT components. He saw one of my 3D printers and asked me if they could be used to build a pick-and-place machine and the answer is yes. Programming it would be an investment though, as it has to work with PCB CAD systems.

rollerskates

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Jan 10, 2017
Texas
"I need a leather worker to create 50 custom leather shark laser key chains. If that's you, please send past samples and your price."

Is this a thing yet or is this an opportunity?

Etsy runs a weekly thread in the "Promos" section of their forums called "Post your custom item requests here". Alchemy was better, but like someone said, it was shut down.

One thing I like, that Tandy leather just came out with in a small version, is a clicker press:

Craftool Pro Clicker Press

For those who don't know what it is, it's like a big cookie cutter machine for leather shapes. For years, I've actually used a scrapbook die cutter called a Bigkick, because their dies can be used with leather, but you have to hand crank everything. I cannot tell you how many thousands of leather shapes I have manually cranked out on that thing. There are other versions out there, but this looks good for small scale desktop use. Would be a huge time saver! And speaking of selling shovels, it would be great for anyone who's looking to sell pre cut leather parts to other makers--that's a huge business.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Etsy runs a weekly thread in the "Promos" section of their forums called "Post your custom item requests here". Alchemy was better, but like someone said, it was shut down.

One thing I like, that Tandy leather just came out with in a small version, is a clicker press:

Craftool Pro Clicker Press

For those who don't know what it is, it's like a big cookie cutter machine for leather shapes. For years, I've actually used a scrapbook die cutter called a Bigkick, because their dies can be used with leather, but you have to hand crank everything. I cannot tell you how many thousands of leather shapes I have manually cranked out on that thing. There are other versions out there, but this looks good for small scale desktop use. Would be a huge time saver! And speaking of selling shovels, it would be great for anyone who's looking to sell pre cut leather parts to other makers--that's a huge business.

That looks super useful. Never considered how much of a pain it might be to cut hand crank leather slices. Sounds like a lot of work.

JunkBoxJoey_JBJ

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jul 9, 2018
...Maker Market...I was hoping we might have some "Makers" among us...What opportunities are there for tools or machines that haven't been scaled down yet?
Glowforge - Laser Engraver
Cricut - Cutting Machine
Carvey - Carving Machine

Ha! My brother searched "What can you do with old (insert appliance here)" last week because he was tired of seeing them on Craigslist and a ton of homemade items came up on DDG. He's making a plan to cut designs in them as a barn project and sell some things now known to me as "Maker Market" items.

Once again, great timing @LexDeVille

:cool:

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Anyone knows of wrapping machines? The kinds that you use to wrap furniture and goods before you put them in boxes for shipping?

I had to do F*cking ton of plastic-wrapping when helping to move house for family (so that the furniture won't be dirtied during shipping/renovation), but doing it by hand and shifting the furniture about was hard work!

I remember seeing wrapping machines at airports, but they were pretty big and would cost too much to be brought into personal/small biz usage. I would love to see a mini-version of a wrapping machine.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
There are those rotating exercise pads which I'm sure could be used for a low tech wrapping application. That is - still requires 1 to 2 people depending on the item's size, but involves significantly less lifting. The film feed and lifting could be automated with a threaded rod.

That said - the use case of wrapping furniture doesn't exactly scream mini-version...
By mini-version, I mean machines that aren't as big as half a garage lol, which most factory ones are.

I like the low-tech concept. I think it already exists, but I never find them commonly. Perhaps the large plastic rolls we used WERE really for such a machine.

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
This is what radio shack was for back in the day, such a big opportunity here in my opinion

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
357%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
The breaker box says we have several around the house. I didn't see any outlets with the sideways hole though.
If it were me, I would trace the circuit to see what is on the 20 amp breaker, then I'd pull the outlets to see if it has the right wiring. If it does, I'd just replace the outlet.
But, I would not advise that most people do this.

I'll stop derailing now :)

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Facebook targeted me with this one. If they had an affiliate program I would've bought it already. Still might.

Snapmaker - 3D Printer + Laser + CNC (can't cut metal :()
Snapmaker.png

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
2. Wazer - Waterjet - $7,999
Wazer is on the high-end for maker tools. They replied to my email and said they offer "10%" for referrals, but they didn't specify if that is 10% in cash or 10% toward materials. I'm waiting on an email back about that. Also, you need a 20 amp outlet to use this machine which I don't think I have.

wazer-waterjet-product-shot_1_2048x2048.jpg

An update. Wazer emailed back this morning and confirmed a 10% commission per sale. So at $7,999 that's $799.9 each time someone buys using your affiliate link.

I know I want to buy at least one new maker tool, but I'm not sure which way I'll go. Wazer is cool, but for the price I could buy a Shapeoko, Snapmaker and several other tools from earlier in this thread.

But none of those other tools can do what Wazer can do, and none of them have referral programs as far as I can tell.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
3D Printers.

I'm printing something I designed on Fusion360 as we speak.

It will be done printing in a few hours. I'll test out the prototype and if there are no issues then i have to figure out my next step.

Manufacturing is the real hurdle isn't it?

China (cheap but a headache) or US (almost prohibitively expensive).

What kind of stuff can you make with Fusion360? Does it just print plastic?

evlttwin

It's A Long Way To The Top....
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Feb 13, 2013
Southern California
On another note, if anyone in here knows a reputable anodized aluminum extrusion manufacturer ...gimme a holler.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Awesome thread, looking forward to seeing what's out there. Fascinating as heck! Should be an easy GOLD/NOTABLE thread in no time.

Any vacuum packing machines for canning food?

There's a few out there. Looks like they're mostly manual operation. A few semi-automatic models around $800. They don't have reviews on Amazon though.

Semi-Automatic Can Sealer

evlttwin

It's A Long Way To The Top....
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Feb 13, 2013
Southern California

miraman

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jul 2, 2018
Do you think the 3D print market will be the next saturated market when everybody starts to own one and uses it to make products to sell?

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
How old is your house? You likely have some, maybe just not where you want them.
Check the breaker box for 20 amp breakers.
The outlets themselves are the ones that have the weird sideways line in them (radiant® 20A Commerical Spec-Grade Tamper-Resistant Receptacle, White | Legrand)

If you don't have them anywhere else, they can often be found in the kitchen, bathroom or laundry room

The breaker box says we have several around the house. I didn't see any outlets with the sideways hole though.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
There is 3d printer that mixes filament with carbon fiber making things lighter and stronger than steel. The problem is that printer costs about $3.5k PER YEAR. No sure if filament is included but i think its not. So additional costs.

This is closes to what i think a future could be where we could really print spare parts for anything including high workload things like bikes.

Technology is there. Economics need to be worked out.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
@Lex DeVille Just curious, still churning along with your glowforge side business?

Not really. Mostly it just collects referrals. I take one-off custom orders here and there but haven't spent much time making stuff lately.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.