• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Can't Hurt Me by David Goggins

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it, discussion begins soon!
    Can't Hurt Me, by Goggins

Can We Talk Tools for the "Maker Market"?

Discussion in 'General Entrepreneur Discussion' started by Lex DeVille, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Lex DeVille

Lex DeVille CAUTION! I hurt people's feelings... Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $41,942
    A new industry has emerged called the "Maker Market." It's an industry of people who make cool sh*t from home. Along with the industry, there's a lot of companies selling shovels in the form of scaled down industrial equipment designed for garage-sized spaces.

I was hoping we might have some "Makers" among us who could share their thoughts on the different nifty tools and machines. For instance, I'm about to buy a laser engraver, my mom has a cool little paper cutter called a Cricut, and I just came across this thing called the Carvey that carves up all kinds of neat stuff.

What else is out there? What are some cool maker machines that were formerly only available to manufacturers? What machines cost just a few hundred or thousand that used to cost 5 or 6 figures? What opportunities are there for tools or machines that haven't been scaled down yet?

Glowforge - Laser Engraver
    Cricut - Cutting Machine
    Carvey - Carving Machine

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  2. evlttwin

evlttwin It's A Long Way To The Top.... Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,803
    3D Printers.

I'm printing something I designed on Fusion360 as we speak.

It will be done printing in a few hours. I'll test out the prototype and if there are no issues then i have to figure out my next step.

Manufacturing is the real hurdle isn't it?

China (cheap but a headache) or US (almost prohibitively expensive).

3. Lex DeVille

Lex DeVille CAUTION! I hurt people's feelings... Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $41,942
    What kind of stuff can you make with Fusion360? Does it just print plastic?

4. evlttwin

Rep Bank:
    $1,803
    Mine prints plastic. There are other hybrids like wood filament (plastic/wood). I printed a wooden baby Groot, which was awesome.

Here is the printer I have (Creality CR-10s):

[​IMG]

5. evlttwin

Rep Bank:
    $1,803
    Kalps, FiftySeven, Sheens and 2 others like this.
  6. Lex DeVille

Rep Bank:
    $41,942
    evlttwin likes this.
  7. evlttwin

Rep Bank:
    $1,803
    To get a jump start on learning the program take a look at this guys channel:

Lars Christensen

Primeperiwinkle and Lex DeVille like this.
  8. evlttwin

Rep Bank:
    $1,803
    On another note, if anyone in here knows a reputable anodized aluminum extrusion manufacturer ...gimme a holler.

9. evlttwin

Rep Bank:
    $1,803
    Here's a baby groot printing from a printer in my garage (using wood filament):

babygrootprint.jpg

NateKruse, wade1mil, ZF Lee and 28 others like this.
  10. rollerskates

rollerskates Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,695
    I make stuff, so I'm fascinated by stuff that makes stuff.

ZF Lee, Jello, evlttwin and 4 others like this.
  11. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $357,195
    Admin Post
    Awesome thread, looking forward to seeing what's out there. Fascinating as heck! Should be an easy GOLD/NOTABLE thread in no time.

Any vacuum packing machines for canning food?

ZF Lee, Jello, Bdenner64 and 3 others like this.
  12. NewManRising

NewManRising Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,509
    3D printer.
    I was just watching some videos on it and it's got lots of potential.

evlttwin and Lex DeVille like this.
  13. Roli

Roli Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,778
    My friend showed me this little beauty Kniterate: The Digital Knitting Machine

It's a fully programmable desktop knitting machine, you could start a nice little biz with one of these things, and scale up as things go. Or even use it to create samples, saving you having to meet a factory's minimum order quantity requirements.

It raised over $600,000 on Kickstarter and costs around $5000

[​IMG]

14. Roli

Roli Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,778
    Consider my mind blown!

Let me just make sure I'm understanding what is going on in that picture...

Am I right in thinking that you are printing wood?!?!

Fricking awesome dude.

Jello, evlttwin and Lex DeVille like this.
  15. Roli

Rep Bank:
    $7,778
    How much was this?

evlttwin likes this.
  16. Lex DeVille

Rep Bank:
    $41,942
    Vaquform
    Professional-grade thermoforming made compact, affordable and easy-to-use. Claims you can start manufacturing from home instead of just prototyping. It's in pre-order stage now.

Hot Foil Stamping Machine
    This one comes thanks to a link @RazorCut sent me. I'm not sure on the quality, so I'd probably look for a better model. If anyone has a link to something more reliable even if it's a higher price, I'd like to see it.
    [​IMG]

ZF Lee, G-Man, evlttwin and 2 others like this.
  17. Lex DeVille

Rep Bank:
    $41,942
    That is truly badass. It's bigger than it looks in the picture, but still cool. Looks like it's about $7200 pre-order. Love the idea of making my own clothes.

Roli likes this.
  18. RazorCut

RazorCut Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $15,607
    Shapeoko 3.jpg

The Shapeoko 3 is a great piece of kit. I have been a long time follower of the inventor as he is part of a 3 some podcast I listen to. They also do a Shapeoko XXL.

Carbide 3D

It didn't look that big so I thought you might only be able to use it for scarfs and willy warmers. ;):happy:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    Roli and Lex DeVille like this.
  19. RazorCut

RazorCut Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $15,607
    I'm not sure on the quality either but its just a thermostatically controlled hot plate so really just an iron in a frame at the end of the day.

Lex DeVille likes this.
  20. Roli

Rep Bank:
    $7,778
    Yeah that's what put my friend off getting one in the end (that and the fact he's an eternal procrastinator). It won't fit on your desktop, unless you've got a big desk! However would fit nicely in a spare room or garage.

I think this could make the fee back just in the money you save yourself on your own clothes, let alone selling anything you make. :)

Lex DeVille likes this.
  21. Lex DeVille

Rep Bank:
    $41,942
    OPPORTUNITY

Anyone know of an affordable machine for making corrugated boxes?

Would love to control my packaging instead of paying crazy prices for U.S. or playing guessing games with China. I like this idea because it's a service most crafters and makers need.

All I've found so far were industrial size machines that need a full-size warehouse or manufacturing facility and a team of people to operate. On the sourcing websites they go for $20,000 up to $500,000 or more.

Plus it seems like you need several different machines to complete the process. This could make a good Kickstarter project if someone could figure it out. Here's what a smaller machine looks like. Not exactly small-space friendly. Definitely not wallet friendly.

[​IMG]

G-Man, Suzanne Bazemore, Kid and 3 others like this.
  22. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke The .45 longslide, with laser sighting. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $4,165
  23. Lex DeVille

Rep Bank:
    $41,942
    Is there a freelance platform for makers?

The closest thing I found was Etsy, but you can't post a job and let makers come to you (as far as I can tell). Seems like a potential "next big thing" in freelancing. Where can I go to just post what I want and have someone pitch me on their services?

"I need a leather worker to create 50 custom leather shark laser key chains. If that's you, please send past samples and your price."

Is this a thing yet or is this an opportunity?

jpanarra, Jello, splok and 2 others like this.
  24. Lex DeVille

Rep Bank:
    $41,942
    There's a few out there. Looks like they're mostly manual operation. A few semi-automatic models around $800. They don't have reviews on Amazon though.

Semi-Automatic Can Sealer

25. GSF

GSF Silver Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,512
    etsy used to have something similar called 'etsy manufacturing' which was a marketplace for matching small batch manufacturers with sellers sounds like what your describing, they closed it down earlier this year. A bit different but theres also makers row.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.