The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Can pursuing being a Music Artist be a Fastlane option?

Reynel Rivera

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Aug 15, 2023
Hello,
My name is Rey, I’m 21 years young and I’m a Music Artist who knows I have potential in the market nowadays. As I read the “The Millionaire Fastlane ” I begin to question if being a music artist fall into the fast lane category? If so, I’d really appreciate a reply and if not I’d also appreciate it. Thank you

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023
Hello,
My name is Rey, I’m 21 years young and I’m a Music Artist who knows I have potential in the market nowadays. As I read the “The Millionaire Fastlane ” I begin to question if being a music artist fall into the fast lane category? If so, I’d really appreciate a reply and if not I’d also appreciate it. Thank you
Here’s my opinion but take it with a grain of salt.

It could be fastlane as some artists make tons of money for a relatively low amount of work.

Only things are: it violates entry and need.

Unless you can stand out somehow, you might make some money or no money.

Another thing: some people might think it’s not fastlane because you can’t replace your verses with someone else, so you can’t fully detach from it.

Overall? I think it’s fastlane, can’t wait to hear others opinions

Other than that welcome to the forum!

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jan 18, 2022
Hello,
"Professional musician" is the same as every other "entertainment" sector. They're technically slowlane jobs, but it's one of the few industries that are exceptions to the "you won't achieve financial freedom in the slowlane" rule.

Taylor Swift is worth billions (or soon will be) because she turned her personal brand into being the most successful female artist of all-time. Obviously there is only 1 Taylor Swift.

When you're doing something in entertainment, what you're actually doing is "personal branding." Yes, your music needs to be good/stand out, but what matters more is "how marketable are YOU as an individual?" It goes without saying there are infinite variables, but long story short: figure out how to make people want you as both a musician AND person, and you'll never worry about "making it" again.

Edit: Another option is to simply start pumping out music, and hope your catalog is solid enough to sell for more than 20$ one day.

Edit 2: Keep in mind, this operates the same as any other business. Find your niche. For example, Taylor Swift started as "America's innocent sweetheart that couldn't hold down a man." Now she's whatever she is. Eminem boomed during a time when no white rappers (sans the Beastie Boys, maybe, though I don't consider them actual "rappers") were relevant and music needed a "villain" to turn to. He was also the only person talking about what he was talking about.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Strategery

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jun 25, 2019
Hello,
Typically no. Something like that falls under the following your passion, which the market doesn’t really care about whether you’re passionate about what you’re offering it.

I will give you an alternative idea that doesn’t force you to give up your passion. I have a friend who learned how to make profitable courses… not what I’m telling you to do, it’s just what worked for him. Basically he has a really nice lifestyle business (actually businesses last I checked) and he spends most of his time touring with his band as a drummer. He doesn’t have to rely on music for a paycheck, and as a result has stayed passionate about it.

Welcome!

Reynel Rivera

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Aug 15, 2023
Typically no. Something like that falls under the following your passion, which the market doesn’t really care about whether you’re passionate about what you’re offering it.

I will give you an alternative idea that doesn’t force you to give up your passion. I have a friend who learned how to make profitable courses… not what I’m telling you to do, it’s just what worked for him. Basically he has a really nice lifestyle business (actually businesses last I checked) and he spends most of his time touring with his band as a drummer. He doesn’t have to rely on music for a paycheck, and as a result has stayed passionate about it.

Welcome!
That’s a great way of looking at it. Thank you so much for this! I’m glad I joined

Ant23

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jun 20, 2011
Hello,
Yes I feel music can be fastlane but unfortunately there are more “starving artist” than there are successful artist. I love music and used to produce when I was younger. What type of music do you make?

Devilery

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Feb 11, 2019
Is it possible? Yes! Is it statistically likely? No, it's very rare.

The simplest, cheapest option to figure out whether you could is to start a TikTok account, can you get hundreds of thousands or even millions of views on your music videos? Can you get hundreds to thousands of likes? What happens if you add your Spotify/Soundcloud account in the bio, do you consistently get more and more listeners?

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
Hello,
If you approach music in a problem solving way, probably.

Most artists make music which they enjoy.

What if you make music which other people want to hear? You could make songs that are specifically good for making short tiktok memes/dances.
You could find some style of music many people want but that just isn't out there at the moment.

Just some thoughts I have on the topic.

ensoniq2k

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Mar 15, 2021
Germany (South-West)
Music in itself can be very fastlane. I recommend searching for "Graham Cochrane" who I discovered only recently. Short story is he created a brand of online music recording courses. He didn't get very successful as an artis playing music but with his passion and knowledge of music.

Mr.Nichan

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Jul 18, 2023
Stockholm, Sweden
Had a thought about this the other day when hearing that the song I play during putting my son to bed was number two(!) in Sweden on the list of songs most played on Spotify. You might actually do really good if you make it in childrens songs or lullaby's. ALOT of repeat listening, great scalability and you can build a brand or characters around it.

Tyler_Durden

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Aug 14, 2023
I think it really depends on two questions.
Are you good enough that somebody will pay for it?
And is it worth the years of dedication and suffering you will have to endure to succeed?

You said that you have potential for it which answers the first one. Therefore it probably relies more on the second question.
I think MJ would declare a Music artist not as a Fastlane, in one chapter he mentioned that if you are good enough in doing what you love and people will pay you for it, you might not need a Fastlane(Something like that :)).
I think a Fastlane is a specific Road you take to get wealthy fast, therfore you start being a producer and solve needs and problems for others which creates a high value.
But as I mentioned:
You might not need a Fastlane

Reynel Rivera

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Aug 15, 2023
I think it really depends on two questions.
Are you good enough that somebody will pay for it?
And is it worth the years of dedication and suffering you will have to endure to succeed?

You said that you have potential for it which answers the first one. Therefore it probably relies more on the second question.
I think MJ would declare a Music artist not as a Fastlane, in one chapter he mentioned that if you are good enough in doing what you love and people will pay you for it, you might not need a Fastlane(Something like that :)).
I think a Fastlane is a specific Road you take to get wealthy fast, therfore you start being a producer and solve needs and problems for others which creates a high value.
But as I mentioned:
You might not need a Fastlane
Thank you for this. This is a great way to approach a music career if I want to have a higher chance of living off of what I love doing.

Reynel Rivera

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Aug 15, 2023
Yes I feel music can be fastlane but unfortunately there are more “starving artist” than there are successful artist. I love music and used to produce when I was younger. What type of music do you make?
I create a mix of pop and hip-hop. My music is inspired by all genres but I truly want to narrow down and create a new sound. Which I think I already achieved.

Tyler_Durden

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Aug 14, 2023
Thank you for this. This is a great way to approach a music career if I want to have a higher chance of living off of what I love doing.
Something you also have to consider is this. When you will get paid for the thing you love. This love can quickly transform into hate. Google: "overjustification effect". I do not know enough to say how persistent it is that the love transforms into hate. Instead I can tell you my expierience: I wanted to become an professional kickboxer so I dragged my a$$ every day to the training. I quickly expierienced a mix of hate and love wich is why I stopped and currently pursuing an Business that I do not love to do. Call me a quitter but I know that this was the right decision because I would hate kickboxing if I would continue doing it. Now I love it again and will probably start training again when I succeed in the fastlane.
Be aware of that risk.
You have to make your own decision. You will know the best for you.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
The problem isn't talent. If talent was the only thing that mattered, I have heard some worship leaders at small churches that could handily out sing Taylor Swift. They sometimes even have some original music on spotify and youtube. But, they don't go on tour and sell out stadiums. Why? Discovery.

My radio show was another perfect example. Among my listeners I have heard things like "I have never listened to a better radio show or podcast in my life," "as entertaining as rush Limbaugh," and even some totally random stuff like "masculectual." My approximately 700-1500 listeners absolutely loved my radio show. After three years, the same people evidently still loved the show. My growth was explosive to that number and plateaued for two years.

Either my market was too small and the type of people I was speaking to are too rare. Or, and I think this is more the case, it was almost impossible for even great content to cut through the noise of good content.

Trying to be a famous famous influencer, author, radio or podcaster or musical artist these days is really being a slave to google algorithms, going viral and hoping it sticks if it ever explodes.

Sure, it can satisfy CENTS commandments, but counting on fame is a low probability path.

Last edited:

hrsh777

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Aug 25, 2023
Yo I had the same exact question in mind. I am an artist as well and have just a few fans locally. I have given this weeks of deep thought and found myself few answers. Hope this helps.

First of all, I think there are two types of artists.
1. Who make art for other people. (either for the masses or for specific classes)
2. Who make art because its their basic nature. (neither for the masses nor the classes)

In the first case, since you are satisfying a 'need' yes, fastlane is possible.
There are 2 ways:
(i) Create a SEPARATE ENTITY from you and sell the 'needed' art.
This i think is pure fastlane since it can obey all 5 commandments.
(ii) YOU are the need. (Personal brand)
This one disobeys the TIME commandment since your are bound your personal brand. But you have a super high intrinsic value (like a show or a session) that can make you millions. Here I find 2 problems. First, you gotta be famous af which is not that good of a probability. Second, and this is the most important, even if you can get famous, YOU are the product which do not think is a healthy way to live. (Watch the Rick Rubin and Andre 3000 podcast for more insights)

In the second case, the art is coming out of pure love. You are truly expressing yourself, which i think is the highest form of art BUT you are violating the commandment of need. If you try fastlaning here, you will be in big trouble. You're gonna have to CREATE a need first. Which'll take years. And since you do it because you 'actually' love it and dont care about other people, there will be a big clash internally. So better become a liberated unscriptee first, and then pursue your art with FREEDOM.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Hello,
Yes if you can collect a lot of royalties.

Mind:Life

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 19, 2022
United States
Artificial intelligence is a huge potential threat to any kind of musician because it lowers the barrier to entry to almost zero and therefore the potential profit to almost $0.

Spotify is fighting against this by removing tens of thousands of songs. But who knows what the future holds when even someone with no musical training at all, such as myself can generate music that sounds like Bruce Springsteen or Taylor, Swift, or anything else I want.

We’re not there yet, and we may never get there, but it’s something to consider before you choose it as your source of income.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...