The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Can publish comic book be fastlane?

Chogwi

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Feb 6, 2017
stanthrope
Hi. all I'm chogwi. First, I'm not a native English speaker. So sorry for my broken English.

I've thought that drawing and publish a comic book can be the way to Fastlane.
Because once I publish it, It doesn't need to maintain, can earn money 24h for me, is easy to duplicate etc....
It contains a lot of component of Fastlane.
So I've studied drawing over 1.5 years. but A few days ago, My friend who works in IT engineer offer me that makes something together.
So Could you tell me your thought?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Because once I publish it, It doesn't need to maintain, can earn money 24h for me, is easy to duplicate etc....
It contains a lot of component of Fastlane.

Ugh...

How do I even begin?

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Yes, comic books can be Fastlane as any other publishing enterprise. The Walking Dead franchise started off with a comic book.

The challenge is not in creating the comic, though, but in marketing it. There are plenty of talented artists, but very few comics become widely popular (and even fewer become a multi-media franchise).

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Ugh...

How do I even begin?
I'll help a bit...

I tried drawing comics myself when I was 14.
Inspired by popular flash games.

I did it with no graphics tools. Just paper and pen. That meant that the final product was rather messy.

There is a shit ton of work that goes into great comics, be it a newspaper reel or a full-blown DC or Marvel comics. You need a storyboard. Designs and sketches of your characters (which you have to evolve over time, just look up on ANY Marvel hero on wikis).

Want to do colour? Explosions? Crumbling buildings? You need to work on great ways to present them to readers. For that, you'll need a team to help you out. I gave it up eventually because I ran out of ideas and skills that could only be supplied by a TEAM.

Don't get me wrong. Comics can be very Fastlane. But take a look at famous comic book companies, that have now ventured into Tv shows and movies. Look up on blogs of comic enthusiasts who go deep into the works behind the scenes. A ton of hard work and effort, there is...

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
The comic book industry is dying. The forefront of this industry is and will always be, Marvel & DC.

With more Marvel than anything.

Not to say that Dark Horse, Image, Antarctic Press, Aftershock, etc... won't sell.

If Marvel and DC were to collapse. Buy buy comic industry.

Comichron: June 2018 Comic Book Sales to Comics Shops

Marvel is a bit shady as well. If you see the number of units "sold". Doesn't necessarily mean "sold".
That is what they gave to the comic book stores, etc.

Right now the sales are down for a variety of reasons. Horrible writers who are brought in for no other reason because of....

They also have no editors.

Writers, editors, artists & employees of said companies picking fights with customers.

If you don't agree with the message they are trying to sell. You are the problem they are trying to solve. You get labeled as....

Ethan Van Sciver’s CYBERFROG:BLOODHONEY Comic Book
JAWBREAKERS- LOST SOULS graphic novel
IRON SIGHTS graphic novel
RED ROOSTER: Golden Age
TRUMP'S SPACE FORCE
RAVAGE - KILL ALL MEN!

Just don't be this person:
fj1VfRh.jpg

They are referring ComicsGate / MoveTheNeedle.

Your best bet is to find out what the mass audience wants. Searching twitter, etc..

Are you doing a Comic book series? 1 - 10 etc... Or a Graphic Novel?

Hardcover or Paperback?

Standard trim or Deluxe edition?

High quality paper or cheap paper?

Then going with indiegogo or kickstarter for funding.

Distribution of your comic will be fun.

You could go with Antarctic Press or double down and go with Diamond.

A lot of variables to figure out first. Sure, it can be fastlane. Your are already fastlane. It depends are far you can scale it.

You may need to look into One Punch Man. It started out as a webcomic. A very good artist wanted to redraw it. And it blew up!

Chogwi

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Feb 6, 2017
stanthrope
The comic book industry is dying. The forefront of this industry is and will always be, Marvel & DC.

With more Marvel than anything.

Not to say that Dark Horse, Image, Antarctic Press, Aftershock, etc... won't sell.

If Marvel and DC were to collapse. Buy buy comic industry.

Comichron: June 2018 Comic Book Sales to Comics Shops

Marvel is a bit shady as well. If you see the number of units "sold". Doesn't necessarily mean "sold".
That is what they gave to the comic book stores, etc.

Right now the sales are down for a variety of reasons. Horrible writers who are brought in for no other reason because of....

They also have no editors.

Writers, editors, artists & employees of said companies picking fights with customers.

If you don't agree with the message they are trying to sell. You are the problem they are trying to solve. You get labeled as....

Ethan Van Sciver’s CYBERFROG:BLOODHONEY Comic Book
JAWBREAKERS- LOST SOULS graphic novel
IRON SIGHTS graphic novel
RED ROOSTER: Golden Age
TRUMP'S SPACE FORCE
RAVAGE - KILL ALL MEN!

Just don't be this person:
fj1VfRh.jpg

They are referring ComicsGate / MoveTheNeedle.

Your best bet is to find out what the mass audience wants. Searching twitter, etc..

Are you doing a Comic book series? 1 - 10 etc... Or a Graphic Novel?

Hardcover or Paperback?

Standard trim or Deluxe edition?

High quality paper or cheap paper?

Then going with indiegogo or kickstarter for funding.

Distribution of your comic will be fun.

You could go with Antarctic Press or double down and go with Diamond.

A lot of variables to figure out first. Sure, it can be fastlane. Your are already fastlane. It depends are far you can scale it.

You may need to look into One Punch Man. It started out as a webcomic. A very good artist wanted to redraw it. And it blew up!

thank you for detail. I'm living in East Asia so easy to read japan comic.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

Drawing comics is not fastlane, it's worse than a slowlane job. Out of the people you know who draw comics, how many of them can even afford to buy a Mercedes, never mind a Porsche or even a Lamborghini?

There are 4 types of comic artists (or illustrators) :

Comic artist #1 : No money to buy food, need to work at fast food restaurant to make money to buy art supplies (pencils and drawing paper, and perhaps even a drawing tablet like an Intuos). He's only one step away from sleeping on the streets and holding the "Will draw for money" cardboard.

Comic artist #2 : Draws comics full-time for a living, self-employed. Makes some money, but earns the same amt of money, or less, than an office clerk. Struggling daily. In some countries, because he's self-employed, he misses out on a lot of benefits offered by a company, which makes him worse-off than an employed slowlaner.

Comic artist #3 : Has insane art skills, works more than 17 hrs a day drawing and coloring comics like a madman, no days and no nights (the last time he saw his family/friends was 8 months ago). Earns about the same as an mid-level office exec (accountant etc). His $$$ is 100% tied to his time, just like a slowlaner.

Comic artist #4 : Has industry-level art skills (the guys who draw Marvel comics), but also sells their own DVDs and courses, conducts workshops and talks. Still, their $$$ is tied to their time. And yet, they're not exactly "Fastlane-rich". And unless I'm wrong, the comics house (e.g. Marvel) takes most of the $$$ and they only get a small commission.

All 4 types of comic artists, or artists in general, constantly face the fear deep down that, every month, (tens of) thousands of young talented art students in all countries across the world graduate, waiting to surpass and take over them.

------------------------------------

Drawing comics fail pretty much all of the 5 Fastlane commandments, especially Entry and Time.

There's all these online comics platforms with thousands and thousands of comics drawn by hundreds of thousands of comic artists all over the world, this is one of the worst battles a human can ever fight, and the prize for winning is not even worth it.

Do it as a hobby.....

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!