The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Comic book about my cat

Nick perry01

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Apr 6, 2020
Bates City, Missouri
Hello all,

I have a cat named Stormy and a few weeks ago, my mom and I joked about me making a child-like book(because she always thought I would be good at making children books) but still have a comic book style to it-so I guess i would be more comic book then children's book-about my cat. My question is, if you were to read a comic book about something that really exists would you appreciate more: 1.) Have more realistic(but not totally realistic) style i.e having her talk t other animals and travel the world, or 2.)pure science fiction(i.e Having her be in space-without a oxygen mask-with the ability to transform into other animals and all of these other superpowers that are totally unrealistic), or 3.) a mix between them both(i.e having an operation where she gains the ablity to fly or some other bizarre superpower that would otherwise be unattainable AND the ability to talk to other animals)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
Besides being adorable, how would a comic about Stormy fulfill CENTS? Not saying no, I love cats. Just wondering that the main goal for this?

Nick perry01

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Apr 6, 2020
Bates City, Missouri
Besides being adorable, how would a comic about Stormy fulfill CENTS? Not saying no, I love cats. Just wondering that the main goal for this?

Forgive me, because I just looked up the CENTS ideology so these might not make sense

The Commandment of control-Im just going to sell it on my shopify sstore(which, I know, does not make it in my control), but once I know people like it and its popular, I'll make my own website and sell it from there

The Commandment of entry-I will publish my comic and advertise it wherever I can, that'll be my entry

The commandment of need-Well, my comic book will be one of a few with fantasy and cute animals, and once people relize I plan to make a universe around stormy and her friends that might spike the comic's unique factor

The commandment of time-At First, Ill sell it on shopify, so the shopify vendor will handle the shipping and stuff and when I make the website, I'll hire some shipping managers so they'll handle the shipping and I might hire some "idea people" to give me some ideas for the comic

The commandment of scale-When it comes to the comic themselves, I'll make a "MCU" of animals and when it comes to the other stuff, I'll make a website, hire some people and yep.

the commandment of scale-

seraphine

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
May 14, 2021
I think it might be a good side hustle but maybe not something to rely on as a primary business or source of income, at least until you see how people respond to it? Regarding your three ideas, it's hard to say which would be best because I find it really comes down to how the idea is executed. For example, Ulysses is a novel with a pretty dull plot (a middle-aged man walks around Dublin), but the way it's told has made it one of the most important works of the 20th century.

Nick perry01

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Apr 6, 2020
Bates City, Missouri
I think it might be a good side hustle but maybe not something to rely on as a primary business or source of income, at least until you see how people respond to it? Regarding your three ideas, it's hard to say which would be best because I find it really comes down to how the idea is executed. For example, Ulysses is a novel with a pretty dull plot (a middle-aged man walks around Dublin), but the way it's told has made it one of the most important works of the 20th century.
Thanks for your input mate, and I really didnt want it to be my primary income. I just thought it would be a fun little idea

peddletothemetal

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Apr 5, 2021
Prob (1)

Most likely audience for it is kids and the natural world is already fascinating enough for them without needing a supernatural aspect (beyond animals talking, for the sake of the story, etc).

Devilery

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Feb 11, 2019
Don't build a Shopify store. I don't want to discourage you, but traditional advertising won't make you profitable.

What I would suggest is to treat this as fun hobby/side-hustle and start by making a Tik Tok account. Show your cat, share your cats adventures there, show him/her and other cats there. Add voice/text on them just as you are planning to do in your book. And put the link to your book in your profile bio.

Never thought I'd advise this but check out some pet-related Tik Tok accounts and you'll see what's trending! This way, you won't have to waste your money on Facebook Ads, etc. You will get (organic) traffic without investing money into it. Also, don't build a store, start on Etsy or a similar platform. Yes, you will have to pay thir fees but that will come out cheaper than building your own store, and get you started quicker.

Why is anyone even mentioning C.E.N.T.S. here...

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
323%
Feb 26, 2016

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Maybe spin it like the cat guy from shark tank?
That's cool.

Setup would be this:
1. Offer book to kids so they start liking the character,
2. Allow parents to buy personally drawn scene
of their choice with that character in it.
Like for accomplishing something or birth day.

At some point you could outsource physical activity of drawing
to someone who can replicate your drawing style.

Starts looking fastlane-ish

Edit: after @becks22 post below.
It would be good to combine
instagram or tiktok post for promotion and personally drawn
images service.

Book would be free, so to speak (posts on ig/tt)
but service would be paid.

Last edited:

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
What I would suggest is to treat this as fun hobby/side-hustle and start by making a Tik Tok account. Show your cat, share your cats adventures there, show him/her and other cats there. Add voice/text on them just as you are planning to do in your book. And put the link to your book in your profile bio.

Why is anyone even mentioning C.E.N.T.S. here...

This would be my first plan of action- start sharing your cat. People love cats. Good way to start building up a following for little to no cost.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.