The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

INTRO Can coaching be fastlane?

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

SallyU

New Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Jun 7, 2020
Berlin
Hello everyone,
I've been lurking around a while and thought the time had come to introduce myself. I've read both Fastlane and Unscripted and took my time on both books to absorb the messages and mindset.

I have done many different things, including being an artist, a landlord, a financial technical writer, web designer, a day trader, a Thai massage therapist and a coach.
This list may seem a little random, but the same interest motivated me to get involved in all of these activities: a fascination with humans -- who or what we are and what makes us tick.

Once I started trading, I got obsessed with it (addicted is probably a better word). I lost a lot of money and have been struggling to recover from that. But that experience taught me so much about myself and was a bonfire for my naivety. During those years, I learned a lot about discipline, learning, mindset, goals etc. I had to accept in the end that some things just aren't going to work, no matter how hard I try and no matter how many cold showers I take, meditations I sit for and bulletproof coffees I drink.

As for where to go now, I loved art but it comes from a different time in my life. I had an amazing education at two of the best art schools in the UK, and I still feel good about that and benefit from it now. While I see myself using my creativity to support other projects, I don't want to return to the art world.

I had a lot of success with massage and get great feedback from coaching and it feels so good to do something useful. Coaching/bodywork feel like the best direction for me. The thing is, I can't see how I can get out of the financial hole that I am still in from trading (and my reaction to the losses which was to temporarily lose faith in anything ever working out for me ) with this kind of work.

I have just started writing and illustrating essays about the kind of coaching I do because it's quite unusual, and also writing about bodies and how to feel better about them (our own and other people's..). So perhaps this could become fastlane?

Thanks everyone and I really enjoy this forum.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Last edited:

astr0

Grinding
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Dec 3, 2017
Lviv, Ukraine
Well, some types of coaching may be scaled in pricing.

That will always require your time, but you can pivot to info-products later on.

I would suggest not chase Fastlane if your goal is to get out of the financial hole after trading.

Pick one thing that works for other people and stick to it.

SallyU

New Contributor
Jun 7, 2020
Berlin
I would suggest not chase Fastlane if your goal is to get out of the financial hole after trading.
Hi Astr0 - this is an interesting point (I actually feel slightly relieved) and I wonder what you're reason is?

astr0

Grinding
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Dec 3, 2017
Lviv, Ukraine
Trying to go Fastlane greatly limits the options and makes you think you need something special.
It may also put you in analysis paralysis by jumping between ideas and constantly evaluating "Is this Fastlane?", "How about this one?" and so on.

Fastlane is more about the mindset than about the specific business idea.

Think typical local restaurant:
  • Control: ok, except for COVID
  • Entry: pretty low. You need some initial funds and learn how to cook.
  • Need: depends. There are usually some restaurants nearby, so people have a place to eat.
  • Scale: low. The majority of clients are people working, living, or walking nearby.
  • Time: full-time job plus all the business part of it
Not even close to Fastlane.

Now think of a highly marketed concept restaurant with exceptional design, unique food, and service:
  • Control: you can go full delivery even during the pandemic
  • Entry: high. Requires good concept, a lot of funding, and stellar execution of design, marketing, hiring, staff training, and so on
  • Need: you're unique, a lot of people would love to visit at least once
  • Scale: high. People traveling nearby would drive to your restaurant. You'll definitely cover the whole city if not more.
  • Time: You have processes and employees to run the business. You only work to improve it, scale it, or even your next idea.
Everything can be Fastlane to some point and everything typically Fastlane may fail miserably.
Think of providing exceptional value to other people and everything should be fine.

Execution also matters a lot and may make or break the business.

Productocracy is much more important than CENTS.

Last edited:

Sebastya

SEO Expert
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles

Kevin88660

Gold Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Hello everyone,
I've been lurking around a while and thought the time had come to introduce myself. I've read both Fastlane and Unscripted and took my time on both books to absorb the messages and mindset.

I have done many different things, including being an artist, a landlord, a financial technical writer, web designer, a day trader, a Thai massage therapist and a coach.
This list may seem a little random, but the same interest motivated me to get involved in all of these activities: a fascination with humans -- who or what we are and what makes us tick.

Once I started trading, I got obsessed with it (addicted is probably a better word). I lost a lot of money and have been struggling to recover from that. But that experience taught me so much about myself and was a bonfire for my naivety. During those years, I learned a lot about discipline, learning, mindset, goals etc. I had to accept in the end that some things just aren't going to work, no matter how hard I try and no matter how many cold showers I take, meditations I sit for and bulletproof coffees I drink.

As for where to go now, I loved art but it comes from a different time in my life. I had an amazing education at two of the best art schools in the UK, and I still feel good about that and benefit from it now. While I see myself using my creativity to support other projects, I don't want to return to the art world.

I had a lot of success with massage and get great feedback from coaching and it feels so good to do something useful. Coaching/bodywork feel like the best direction for me. The thing is, I can't see how I can get out of the financial hole that I am still in from trading (and my reaction to the losses which was to temporarily lose faith in anything ever working out for me ) with this kind of work.

I have just started writing and illustrating essays about the kind of coaching I do because it's quite unusual, and also writing about bodies and how to feel better about them (our own and other people's..). So perhaps this could become fastlane?

If you do education on bodywork and pain relief using social media (youtube?)maybe there are other products (medication oil?) that you can sell (through affiliates?).

MJ talked about creating units to sell which is not dependent on your time. If you think about opportunity in the “pain relief business” using your massage expertise there could be a lot of ideas.

SallyU

New Contributor
Jun 7, 2020
Berlin
Trying to go Fastlane greatly limits the options and makes you think you need something special.
It may also put you in analysis paralysis by jumping between ideas and constantly evaluating "Is this Fastlane?", "How about this one?" and so on.

Fastlane is more about the mindset than about the specific business idea.

Think typical local restaurant:
  • Control: ok, except for COVID
  • Entry: pretty low. You need some initial funds and learn how to cook.
  • Need: depends. There are usually some restaurants nearby, so people have a place to eat.
  • Scale: low. The majority of clients are people working, living, or walking nearby.
  • Time: full-time job plus all the business part of it
Not even close to Fastlane.

Now think of a highly marketed concept restaurant with exceptional design, unique food, and service:
  • Control: you can go full delivery even during the pandemic
  • Entry: high. Requires good concept, a lot of funding, and stellar execution of design, marketing, hiring, staff training, and so on
  • Need: you're unique, a lot of people would love to visit at least once
  • Scale: high. People traveling nearby would drive to your restaurant. You'll definitely cover the whole city if not more.
  • Time: You have processes and employees to run the business. You only work to improve it, scale it, or even your next idea.
Everything can be Fastlane to some point and everything typically Fastlane may fail miserably.
Think of providing exceptional value to other people and everything should be fine.

Execution also matters a lot and may make or break the business.

Productocracy is much more important than CENTS.
Thank you - that is really useful information and now I understand the problem with the 'is this Fastlane?' question - it's missing the point. Perhaps a better question is 'how can I scale this?'.

Onakosa

"When I grow up I want to be ... "
FASTLANE INSIDER
Oct 23, 2020
UK
Hello everyone,

My job is coaching based and no, it's not fastlane. Very simply, if you're good at it then it's YOU that your clients will want to deal with. You can't delegate it so you're always exchanging time for money. That's one reason why I want to change direction. I've been doing it for 2 years and I get exhausted after a full day!

JScott

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
Aug 24, 2007
If you want to scale a coaching business and turn it into a passive business, you need to build a brand and then hire coaches who can teach for you, using your brand to attract clients.

At the end of the day, you need to remove yourself from the coaching, but still have a strong enough brand that people are willing to pay to be coached by someone representing you.

Kevin88660

Gold Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
If you want to scale a coaching business and turn it into a passive business, you need to build a brand and then hire coaches who can teach for you, using your brand to attract clients.

At the end of the day, you need to remove yourself from the coaching, but still have a strong enough brand that people are willing to pay to be coached by someone representing you.
I remember two years back, I was given a free ticket for Tony Robbin seminar. They have a speaker who dress and talk like Tony doing the work. You do not see Tony physically for the entire four days.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
If you read the last message then you know I'm removing my courses from Udemy next month. You...
MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2020
I might join in a couple weeks. I have so many things I have to take care of and I hate to sound...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
This program helped me to triple my revenue over 7 months while also moving to a new city in the...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
PS. what do you think about the idea of setting up live Busking experiences on Air BNB? I could...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Hi Mj, I just bought it. And reading it. I think is a great idea to write using the stories to...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
@Kak Thanks for the reply. Whats interesting is that I have an idea that's been cooking which...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...

Top Bottom