- Joined
- Aug 12, 2007
- Messages
- 436
Rep Bank
$540
$540
User Power: 14%
So I have googled, and I noticed there seems to be no big "Zappos.com" of toys at all. It's just the ecommerce operations of chain stores. You have Toys R Us's website, then eToys, which is owned by Toys R Us, and then Wal-Mart.
There are plenty of smaller ecommerce toy companies, but there doesn't seem to be any big ones. eToys was one of the Dot Com business failures, along with many other ecommerce toy companies, but I mean if the smaller operations can succeed, I am sure a big business could have made it as well if the people running them had actually been running the business instead of basking in Dot Com mania glory.
On Wikipedia, it says Toys R Us is a chain of 585 stores in the U.S., with 716 stores operated in other nations, and about $13.6 billion in total revenues. Basic math says that would mean their U.S. operations alone are about $6 billion I'd guess.
Well I mean you have Best Buy with $45 billion in revenue, and then in ecommerce, Newegg.com with around $3 billion. You have Payless Shoesource with around $2.66 billion in revenue, and then Zappos.com with around $1 billion.
So then you have Toys R Us with around $13.6 billion overall, $6 billion in the U.S. alone, and small ecommerce toy businesses.
So technically couldn't a determined entrepreneur build a billion-dollar ecommerce toy brand?
When Tony Hsiegh first heard the idea for Zappos.com, he said it sounded to him like the "quintessential Dot Com failure," yet they succeeded.
I think maybe one thing for such a business that would be important would be a catchy brand name. All the big online companies, ecommerce and even non-ecommerce, seem to have catchy names, for example Google, Yahoo!, Amazon, eBay, Newegg (computers and electronics), Zappos (footwear), etc...a big toy brand would need a similar catchy-type name I'd think.
There are plenty of smaller ecommerce toy companies, but there doesn't seem to be any big ones. eToys was one of the Dot Com business failures, along with many other ecommerce toy companies, but I mean if the smaller operations can succeed, I am sure a big business could have made it as well if the people running them had actually been running the business instead of basking in Dot Com mania glory.
On Wikipedia, it says Toys R Us is a chain of 585 stores in the U.S., with 716 stores operated in other nations, and about $13.6 billion in total revenues. Basic math says that would mean their U.S. operations alone are about $6 billion I'd guess.
Well I mean you have Best Buy with $45 billion in revenue, and then in ecommerce, Newegg.com with around $3 billion. You have Payless Shoesource with around $2.66 billion in revenue, and then Zappos.com with around $1 billion.
So then you have Toys R Us with around $13.6 billion overall, $6 billion in the U.S. alone, and small ecommerce toy businesses.
So technically couldn't a determined entrepreneur build a billion-dollar ecommerce toy brand?
When Tony Hsiegh first heard the idea for Zappos.com, he said it sounded to him like the "quintessential Dot Com failure," yet they succeeded.
I think maybe one thing for such a business that would be important would be a catchy brand name. All the big online companies, ecommerce and even non-ecommerce, seem to have catchy names, for example Google, Yahoo!, Amazon, eBay, Newegg (computers and electronics), Zappos (footwear), etc...a big toy brand would need a similar catchy-type name I'd think.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
