The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Calling quits on my drop shipping e-commerce website

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

exclusives88

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
May 28, 2014
It was middle of 2014, where I purchased a e-commerce website through flippa.com . I read through the book and wanted to start somewhere. I purchased a website called www.silkyflowerstore.com. It is a drop ship website that sells artificial flower arrangements, wreaths, and various accessories.

I was very new to the whole thing. I thought that I was able to buy an existing website and let it sit, and collect cash. Boy was I wrong! During the time I've owned it, I've sold $3,130. Not bad at all, but with my fixed cost being around $100 a month with very slim profit margin, it didn't seem that good after all.

Here are the things I've learned:

1. Drop Shipping gives you no control - You really have to watch out for the smaller suppliers. If you are a small fish in the ocean, they will make you the last priority. I like to ship my products within the next or two business days. If your suppliers ships a week later, cut them out!

2. When you are getting returns, there is a problem! - Since this year, I've only completed 6 sales. Out of the 6 sales, I had 3 returns!! Some were because the vase in the picture did not look like what was shipped, or they found a better wreath else where. These returns were all from the same suppliers so, cut them out!

3. Get your logistics right - One of my larger supplier has good logistics planned out for their sellers. Every Friday, they will send me their inventory and any price adjustments so I can adjust my website. This was in excel format so it was easy for me to upload them in bigcommerce. For the smaller suppliers, there was countless times when I had an order and I was not able to fulfill them because they were either out of stock or no longer producing them. This was a big problem for me. I once had an order of $700 and I wasn't able to fulfill it.

4. E-commerce is not easy - I thought that this website was passive where I can just sit down and relax. I created instagram accounts, pinterest, facebook, used facebook ads (without much success), changed some of the websites, update inventory. I felt like I could of done more - blog posting, contacting large instagram accounts, e-mailed every restaurants and officers to get a sale. You need to know every pieces in a business from advertising, customer service, making changes to the websites...etc

5. Focus on one business - While running this business, I had my mind on other ideas. At the time, I wanted to create a hair accessory product. I also wanted to start a blog on Accounting (sounds boring right?). To focus, you need to put your blood, sweat and tears in it, and I didn't do this.

So why am I calling quits?

As some of you might know, I'm in the process of creating my own brand and my own product. Drop shipping isn't something I will ever do again. I know some of you had success @G_Alexander . I also didn't have much passion in the flower arrangement business. It is time to close this chapter and start a new chapter.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
You did more than most. You learned a lot. You made a little money. Pat yourself on the back. Nice work!

Now go onto the next project! Create value!

Lord Taco

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Mar 15, 2015
I'm in the process of looking for a drop shipper for something I am working towards and this helps me with understanding to cut the dead weight. Best of luck with the new adventure.

parkerscott

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 4, 2013
Im in the process of starting an e-commerce website. I will begin with drop shipping to test things things out. Im also doing it in an industry im passionate about, and hundreds of millions are passionate about the industry as well so I think I can carve a business out of the market.

Did you have any other issues with the website?

I can't quite figure out how things are supposed to be taxed on my site. I keep finding articles, but they are super complicated, and at the end of the article they try selling software that solves the tax problem.

exclusives88

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
May 28, 2014
Im in the process of starting an e-commerce website. I will begin with drop shipping to test things things out. Im also doing it in an industry im passionate about, and hundreds of millions are passionate about the industry as well so I think I can carve a business out of the market.

Did you have any other issues with the website?

I can't quite figure out how things are supposed to be taxed on my site. I keep finding articles, but they are super complicated, and at the end of the article they try selling software that solves the tax problem.

@parkerscott Other issues and advice (most are pretty obvious)

1. I think it would really help if you knew how to design your own website with whatever platform you choose. I've screwed up my website several times and I had to hire someone to fix it. It was costly at the end. You will save a lot by learning this yourself.

2. A picture is worth a thousand words. In the drop shipping business, I never housed the inventory. If I was to do it all over again, I would order a lot of products to take pictures. The stock images on my website were straight from the supplier and they weren't that great.

3. Test the quality of your product from your suppliers. Quality was a big issue for artificial flower arrangements.

What do you need help with taxes? I'm a CPA and my day job is an tax accountant so PM me with your question. I can try to help out.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
1. I think it would really help if you knew how to design your own website with whatever platform you choose. I've screwed up my website several times and I had to hire someone to fix it. It was costly at the end. You will save a lot by learning this yourself.

Say what?

If you're making decent coin you probably never want to design the site yourself, unless you're a designer. I don't think the problem was your design, it was the other aspects of the business.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
You're selling a fake 3-foot tall tree for $77.50. You can probably get that tree for $10. Margins seem crazy.

Check out http://panjiva.com. Sign up and type in your dropshipper's info. Find who his supplier is. Then, cut out the middleman and start winning.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
This seems like a good business to go into, and seems like it's a big hobby for people with planners.

exclusives88

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
May 28, 2014
Say what?

If you're making decent coin you probably never want to design the site yourself, unless you're a designer. I don't think the problem was your design, it was the other aspects of the business.

IMO it's a good back bone to learn it. As a start up you can avoid those costs. For my new product, I'm doing all of it myself. In the future I might outsource if I'm profitable. You're right that it's not the design but everything else I've mentioned

exclusives88

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
May 28, 2014
I officially sold the website to a Non-US buyer.

I had securenet set up. Unfortunately, securenet is only for US merchants. Is there something else that he can use that isn't paypal?

Hassen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Mar 13, 2015
I officially sold the website to a Non-US buyer.

I had securenet set up. Unfortunately, securenet is only for US merchants. Is there something else that he can use that isn't paypal?
Skrill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tyman

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Apr 27, 2014
Would you be able to sell it to him through Flippa?

exclusives88

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
May 28, 2014
Yes I sold through flippa

jason91

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 15, 2015
USA
It was middle of 2014, where I purchased a e-commerce website through flippa.com . I read through the book and wanted to start somewhere. I purchased a website called www.silkyflowerstore.com. It is a drop ship website that sells artificial flower arrangements, wreaths, and various accessories.

I was very new to the whole thing. I thought that I was able to buy an existing website and let it sit, and collect cash. Boy was I wrong! During the time I've owned it, I've sold $3,130. Not bad at all, but with my fixed cost being around $100 a month with very slim profit margin, it didn't seem that good after all.

Here are the things I've learned:

1. Drop Shipping gives you no control - You really have to watch out for the smaller suppliers. If you are a small fish in the ocean, they will make you the last priority. I like to ship my products within the next or two business days. If your suppliers ships a week later, cut them out!

2. When you are getting returns, there is a problem! - Since this year, I've only completed 6 sales. Out of the 6 sales, I had 3 returns!! Some were because the vase in the picture did not look like what was shipped, or they found a better wreath else where. These returns were all from the same suppliers so, cut them out!

3. Get your logistics right - One of my larger supplier has good logistics planned out for their sellers. Every Friday, they will send me their inventory and any price adjustments so I can adjust my website. This was in excel format so it was easy for me to upload them in bigcommerce. For the smaller suppliers, there was countless times when I had an order and I was not able to fulfill them because they were either out of stock or no longer producing them. This was a big problem for me. I once had an order of $700 and I wasn't able to fulfill it.

4. E-commerce is not easy - I thought that this website was passive where I can just sit down and relax. I created instagram accounts, pinterest, facebook, used facebook ads (without much success), changed some of the websites, update inventory. I felt like I could of done more - blog posting, contacting large instagram accounts, e-mailed every restaurants and officers to get a sale. You need to know every pieces in a business from advertising, customer service, making changes to the websites...etc

5. Focus on one business - While running this business, I had my mind on other ideas. At the time, I wanted to create a hair accessory product. I also wanted to start a blog on Accounting (sounds boring right?). To focus, you need to put your blood, sweat and tears in it, and I didn't do this.

So why am I calling quits?

As some of you might know, I'm in the process of creating my own brand and my own product. Drop shipping isn't something I will ever do again. I know some of you had success @G_Alexander . I also didn't have much passion in the flower arrangement business. It is time to close this chapter and start a new chapter.

Hey I'm in e-commerce too. How did you manage the traffic? Were you ranked in Google so you had a steady flow of traffic?
Paid advertising?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.