The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Calling All Fastlane Golfers!

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
I’ve been here long enough now that I figure it’s time to start my progress thread.

I spent 8 years in Palm Springs as the head professional of a private golf club. There I got exposure to and built relationships with some of the wealthiest people in America. The biggest takeaway? They were all producers.

Fast forward to today and I am in sunny Arizona working for a large bank in a finance role which has the potential to be a very lucrative slowlane career. Obviously I’m here because that is not my end goal in this life.

Looking back on my time in the golf business I learned 3 things that are common complaints with the game: too expensive, too difficult and takes too long.

Being that I have almost 0% chance of speeding up slow players, my idea and product(s) are centered around the other 2 complaints. Lessons can help you get better but golf pros overinflated egos make them charge WAY too much money, and golf training aids are intentionally complex, again to justify a higher price.

My aim is to create a line of simple, unique and effective training aids for a very reasonable price (under $20).

To date I have sourced and received my first sample which is now in the hands of some fellow golfer friends for testing and feedback as well as brainstorming additional product options. My goal is to formally launch the first product by 10/1 of this year.

Thanks in advance to all who follow the journey!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Merging Left

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 20, 2014
I remember a thread from years ago now.. it might be on the inside... of a forum member who created a golf putting guide. You might want to search for that - it might have some good insights for you.

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
Here’s my question to the forum, my product is very simple and very effective but because of its simplicity it isn’t sexy, cool etc.

Do I play off of the fact that it doesn’t look like much but gets the job done and is unique or do I try to spice it up with logo, fancy package etc?

Merging Left

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 20, 2014
Here’s my question to the forum, my product is very simple and very effective but because of its simplicity it isn’t sexy, cool etc.

Do I play off of the fact that it doesn’t look like much but gets the job done and is unique or do I try to spice it up with logo, fancy package etc?
What kind of a price point are you looking at?

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia

You've had years of experience dealing directly with your target market so I'm guessing you would know them better than most on here, would any golfer care about something looking sexy over something making a difference to their game? Is anything in golf sexy or cool? :rofl:

Good luck on your journey!

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
What kind of a price point are you looking at?

In its simplest form it’s manufactured for under $1, if I make it “fancier” around $3.

Want my selling price to be under $10.

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
You've had years of experience dealing directly with your target market so I'm guessing you would know them better than most on here, would any golfer care about something looking sexy over something making a difference to their game? Is anything in golf sexy or cool? :rofl:

Good luck on your journey!

Haha some parts of it are.

So my dilemma is that those who are better golfers don’t care what something looks like as long as it functions well. My market is more the other 15 million average golfers.

You have helped clarify though that unless the product very clearly defines the benefit I’d better be damn sure the website does.

Merging Left

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 20, 2014
For $10, I'm not sure how fancy it needs to look. If you can help me beat my co-workers at golf each week for $10, I don't care what it looks like (that might be your selling proposition ;))

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
For $10, I'm not sure how fancy it needs to look. If you can help me beat my co-workers at golf each week for $10, I don't care what it looks like (that might be your selling proposition ;))

That’s the strategy I’m leaning toward. It is basically a sponge but a uniquely shaped one that can be used in a drill to add distance with the driver. I see the side of somebody saying “it’s just a sponge” but as I mentioned, I don’t like how the golf industry overprices so many things and I know from my teachings that it will be effective for 95% of golfers.

If I went basic enough it would probably even be a $5 price point.

Merging Left

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 20, 2014
If you go too low, you'll lose the trust factor. $10-$15 is probably a good spot. Make a video demonstration and start calling up local golf clubs to carry it!

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
Thanks for the feedback. Ordered second and hopefully final sample this morning and can then go into production. Leaning toward launching and letting the market decide if it needs to be any fancier than its most basic form. I like the idea of my USP being “we know it looks boring but here it is, here’s what it does and how it will help you”

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
Newest samples headed over from China.

If appropriate I’d love some volunteers to send one too who can head to the range and try it out for effectiveness.

Merging Left

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 20, 2014
I'm not a golfer, but this could be a good opportunity for you to begin building a network of golf instructors at local golf clubs. See if something like this could help their clients, etc.

msufan

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Mar 13, 2013
I'm certainly in for trying this out on the range! Also, I think $9.99 is your lowest price point needed. I wouldn't go down to $5. A golfer who decides to pay for this won't decide to stop because it costs $9.99.

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
I'm not a golfer, but this could be a good opportunity for you to begin building a network of golf instructors at local golf clubs. See if something like this could help their clients, etc.

It is, I’m fortunate that I already have my network from my years of employment in the business.

Well... I own an Arnold Palmer designed golf course in Yuma, AZ.

GOLD! - Margaritaville (I've Bought A Golf-Course!)

You had already come to mind, the club I worked at in La Quinta was the one Mr. P lived at in January and February, it was amazing to spend time with him in his final years.

I’m down in Tucson now, I’d love to hit you up once they arrive to get some feedback.

SouthernCharm

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
263%
Sep 28, 2017
North Carolina
Happy to test it out if you need feedback from a sub-par golfer on it's effectiveness.

I also second the $10-$15 range. I think you would scare off more people than you would attract at the $5 price.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
I’ve been here long enough now that I figure it’s time to start my progress thread.

I spent 8 years in Palm Springs as the head professional of a private golf club. There I got exposure to and built relationships with some of the wealthiest people in America. The biggest takeaway? They were all producers.

Fast forward to today and I am in sunny Arizona working for a large bank in a finance role which has the potential to be a very lucrative slowlane career. Obviously I’m here because that is not my end goal in this life.

Looking back on my time in the golf business I learned 3 things that are common complaints with the game: too expensive, too difficult and takes too long.

Being that I have almost 0% chance of speeding up slow players, my idea and product(s) are centered around the other 2 complaints. Lessons can help you get better but golf pros overinflated egos make them charge WAY too much money, and golf training aids are intentionally complex, again to justify a higher price.

My aim is to create a line of simple, unique and effective training aids for a very reasonable price (under $20).

To date I have sourced and received my first sample which is now in the hands of some fellow golfer friends for testing and feedback as well as brainstorming additional product options. My goal is to formally launch the first product by 10/1 of this year.

Thanks in advance to all who follow the journey!

Great thread, and as a keen golfer I'll watch this one with interest.

I have a few comments that I hope will help you on this journey.

- For me personally, I want something that helps me hit a driver straight, not far.

- $1-3 to make $20 retail is a great margin and you shouldn't go lower than that. Remember if this does scale, then you need to give wholesalers a chance to double their cost price. So you'll be wholesaling it at $8-10.

Then there are giveaways sales etc. Do not drop to the $10 retail price point because then you are looking to wholesale at around $3-5 and you'll find it hard to survive at those prices.

- The language you use about the product should be very specific. There are a million aids out there. Hit further, hit higher, more spinback, etc. etc.

Test your product vigorously and make the claims boldly. Takes two shots off a high handicapper's game. Tested with an average 12 handicapper - Hit straighter 97% of the time... That sort of thing.

- Coming back to your price point - Remember it is not just about your margin, it is about who you're aiming the product at. So $20 you are aiming at me and my level of golf. I am not a member of a fancy golf club, I have had a few sporadic lessons over the years. I also spend more time on the course than on a range.

In short I am the classic play-for-fun amateur golfer. I've accepted that I'll probably never be amazing or have a single digit handicap (if any at all!)

At $100 you're probably looking at the high handicapper, who goes to the range, has paid for a proper course of lessons at one point in his life and wants to improve.

At $200 and above we are moving to serious territory, and one that I can't really personally speak about. However I'd imagine that people who pay this much for a golf aid, have purchased a few in their lifetimes and understand what a good and bad one is.

- OK, this leads on from the above point. What it does will also determine the market. Like I said, I personally don't believe the $20 market is interested in getting more distance on their drive. Simply because that market can't hit a driver with enough consistency to care about distance.

I use my driver about once every ten rounds, just because I'm like 'well I bought the thing, I might as well give it a go!' Then everything goes West and I think to myself 'hmm, gotta get down to the range and get me some lessons one of these days.' - Which of course, I never do!

So in summary:

Protect your margins, sell for at least $20 retail. - Remember the wrong price will put off the right buyer. If I'm used to buying Porsches, then a new sports car at the price of a Prius won't interest me.

Be very specific about what your product can do, avoid oft used platitudes and actually do some testing with the target skill level of golfer.

Figure out what level of golfer this is for. If it's purely a distance aid, and just for driving, raise the price point.

If you can deal with international shipping costs, please send me one! - Joke! If it's a distance aid for driving, I am not your target market! If it will improve accuracy in both my iron and wood play, I'm all ears!

Best of luck with this, and please keep us up to date!

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
Happy to test it out if you need feedback from a sub-par golfer on it's effectiveness.

I also second the $10-$15 range. I think you would scare off more people than you would attract at the $5 price.

Thank you. And “sub-par” is exactly who I need feedback from. I’ll PM you when they arrive.

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
I have a few comments that I hope will help you on this journey

Thanks @Roli great feedback!

For me personally, I want something that helps me hit a driver straight, not far.

So the product is focused on launch angle with the driver. Inherently if you have proper launch angle it is almost impossible to come over the top which results in a slice for most people. In short, it will help with both distance and accurately. Only with the driver though.

Be very specific about what your product can do, avoid oft used platitudes and actually do some testing with the target skill level of golfer.

Love it. The specifics and education are the biggest challenge I see. The product itself is incredibly simple to the point of almost looking stupid. However, as a former golf instructor, I can 100% guarantee (which I will for anybody who buys it) that it will increase their distance and accuracy.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
So the product is focused on launch angle with the driver. Inherently if you have proper launch angle it is almost impossible to come over the top which results in a slice for most people. In short, it will help with both distance and accurately. Only with the driver though.

Most of my drives skim along the ground and usually hook. Occasionally I will skull the ball and send it 50 feet into the air to the left and it will land about 100 feet away (if I'm lucky).

When I use my woods I look like someone who has picked up a golf club last week. With my irons I can sometimes convince people I'm quite a good player!

So is the product aimed at me or a higher level golfer?

I'm labouring the point because it is so important for you to work that out really quickly.

The specifics and education are the biggest challenge I see.

I'm not sure about the education, because as golfers we are always so eager to listen to anyone who sounds credible (and with your golf club experience you definitely do). As far as the specifics the better your testing the easier they'll be to define.

For instance, if the device is aimed at my level and you get it out to 50 of us. All you have to do is get us to describe our drive before using the product, and after. Boom there are your specifics right there!

However, as a former golf instructor, I can 100% guarantee (which I will for anybody who buys it) that it will increase their distance and accuracy.

This is very important for your marketing as it gives people confidence.

However I doubt your claims simply because of the hugely varying skill levels of golfers. Like I said above, I can barely hit the ball with my driver (I average about 150 for my 7 iron).

So things that help terrible players, rarely help competent ones, and vice versa.

The reason I point this out is because when you go to youtube, you see so many instructors giving tips as if they're for everyone. But someone like me is going to get minimal benefit from a slightly different hand position.

I think you have a big chance here to differentiate from all those other one-size-fits-all merchants, and just say with confidence yeah, my product will help you if you are between a 25 and 12 handicap. Or some such...

Anyway, I'm getting excited for you! Did I mention I love golf? :happy:

Can't wait till that first shipment and the first few tests...

Make sure people film their tests, before/after. Free product it's the least they can do!

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
5 handicap here. My mis hit is low and left. Especially short irons and full swing wedges.

I'd be scratch if I could make some puts.

Can you help?

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
5 handicap here. My mis hit is low and left. Especially short irons and full swing wedges.

I'd be scratch if I could make some puts.

Can you help?

With this product no, this is a side project focused on an important factor in driving distance and accuracy that gets almost 0 attention in the training aid world.

Want to improve your putting? Spend less time conquering the world and more time practicing putting, specifically 3-5 footers. It’s amazing how much better you’ll do on long putts when you aren’t as worried about the come backer.

My last option is a side trip your way when I’m in Dallas later this year and then we can work on all of this!

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
With this product no, this is a side project focused on an important factor in driving distance and accuracy that gets almost 0 attention in the training aid world.

Want to improve your putting? Spend less time conquering the world and more time practicing putting, specifically 3-5 footers. It’s amazing how much better you’ll do on long putts when you aren’t as worried about the come backer.

My last option is a side trip your way when I’m in Dallas later this year and then we can work on all of this!

Let me know. We can play a round.

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
Wow time flies.

Tweaked, tweaked and tweaked again but final samples have been produced and will be in route shortly. To those who offered to test for me (assuming you’re in a warm enough climate) I will reach out when they arrive so I can send them out.

Interestingly enough the most popular and effective golf training aid as pictured below, does not cost much money and is not fancy. I’m going a similar path as mentioned before, people will see it and say “WTF” this looks so cheap and plain. The struggle will be the education portion and once somebody tries it, they will see the light.

upload_2019-1-9_10-32-16.jpeg

Final step will be reaching out to past acquaintances who are top teachers in the country and talk about potential endorsements out of them!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.