The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Callin' them there biz owners

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
What's up guys?!

Quick question for ya...

I want to extract some information and insight from my target market. I don't have an exact product/service that I want to gauge interest for, I simply want to hear more about their businesses, their regular needs, and their wants.

I'm very comfortable on the phone, but I'm not sure how to open the phone call. How would you go about doing this?

Thanks!

Sean

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I would not expect many business owners to stay on the phone with you very long at all. They are busy doing their stuff. What is in it for them to continue their conversation with you?

If you still want to try this, you are going to have to warm them up with something of value for them through an email or direct mail. You have to do your research about them online or with legwork, then offer something to them first.

The onus is on you to do the work, not for the business owner to do the work for you.

As for me, you would have to get past my gate keepers....voicemail, VA's, and email filters.

Good luck.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
Depends on how big the businesses you are targeting are. As Runum mentioned, you're going to encounter gatekeepers, many hangups, etc. But really if you have no ulterior motive, it shouldn't be difficult.

First, find out who you need to speak to. Have a name handy if at all possible. Without a name, your chances of making contact will drop a bit.

Simple script:
"Hey, is John available?" "Hey John, this is Sean with (blah), how's your morning going so far?" "Awesome! By the way, did I catch you at a good time this morning/afternoon?" You could also throw in a compliment or something offhanded, just don't be a kiss a$$. The idea is to build rapport fast.

It's more about tonality than anything, but just those three things, especially with no motive, should put them in a less defensive state and open for your line of questions.

Have fun.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Survey in the mail might be a friendly option.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Survey in the mail might be a friendly option.
With surveys make it short and to the point. Also only ask for name and email. If they see addresses, two sets of phone numbers, business type, blah blah they won't do it. Also put the contact info at the bottom, its helped for me.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Survey in my opinion saves them time. Just look at it quickly fill it out and done. It does work and at the same time make up folders with a brochure of a product, sticker of your business logo, what your business is about. Little packet. I did this for my ex-husband's vending business and worked like a charm. They have all your information and business card and survey. So if it's in front of their face they can't miss it as much as ignoring an email like I do and never read it.

It's quite interesting today you will see everything email/cell phone/internet/gadgets

Where everyone is doing this, less real mail, and less competition. lol It's the old way, but don't follow the herd. All the herd is online.

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
Thank you for the advice everyone. I really do appreciate it. I don't know if I made it sound the wrong way, but I'm trying to save them money/add to their profit. I'm not calling CEOs either, just normal everyday business owners. I'm trying to figure out their pain points basically.

thanks again guys

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Thank you for the advice everyone. I really do appreciate it. I don't know if I made it sound the wrong way, but I'm trying to save them money/add to their profit. I'm not calling CEOs either, just normal everyday business owners. I'm trying to figure out their pain points basically.

thanks again guys
Business owners are tricky when they are small local ones. Most of the time if you aren't buying, they aren't listening. It takes time to get to them. It helps to know their name before you even try to contact them.
Gather Intel, Ask Questions.

S. Brown

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Mar 23, 2014
Tampa Bay, Fl
The survey approach is a good non conventional way that Mattie said. Im in the process of using this approach as well but going to use different sources to send such as online, mail, in person. It won't hurt to try. You never know. Try to get alot of feedback so you can evaluate your results so you can find a need and then start the process of solving it to provide value to the businesses.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.