The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

CAD biz owners, are you struggling with employees??

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
So with these unemployment cheques going out for the next 6 months, it's been hard to hire someone for me...

Do you guys struggle with this to? I think I might of started my biz to early....... :inpain:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
So with these unemployment cheques going out for the next 6 months, it's been hard to hire someone for me...

Do you guys struggle with this to? I think I might of started my biz to early....... :inpain:
Our business is really struggling with finding good people. It was hard before but now?

Yikes.

We're trying to find interesting ways of enticing talented people to the business. Unorthodox methods.

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
Are you giving a decent salary or are you giving crappy salary?

Many approached me on LinkedIn with good opportunities. But then when it comes to compensation...

Hum nah. Was nuts.

Now. I don't get any cheques. Nor am I interested. But I can see why some will prefer the cheques than a job that barely covers the necessity and take up 40-60 hrs a week (including all the time / commute needed to do the job)

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Are you giving a decent salary or are you giving crappy salary?

Many approached me on LinkedIn with good opportunities. But then when it comes to compensation...

Hum nah. Was nuts.

Now. I don't get any cheques. Nor am I interested. But I can see why some will prefer the cheques than a job that barely covers the necessity and take up 40-60 hrs a week (including all the time / commute needed to do the job)

Billion dollar companies are paying $17-19

I'm offering $20 so I'd like to think so, but the real problem is people are incentivized to stay at home and collect $2k

WestCoast

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jan 20, 2008
Rhode Island for now.
I would normally not do this, but I'm seeing this complaint a lot... and it's just wrong.
So, I'm straight up copying and pasting something I posted here last week about this issue -->
FLF post
--

You're looking at employees and hiring completely wrong.

Attracting talent, keeping them motivated, encouraging them, investing in them, helping them achieve their own personal goals - is an art. A dance.

No matter what you think of yourself, or how cool your idea or company is to you - these are people. Not robots.
People have hopes and dreams. Fears, doubts, insecurities.

They are not pawns in your business, or a necessary evil that get in the way of your amazing idea taking off.

A good team - is the pillar of a business.
Creating an environment where good people can succeed, be challenged, grow, and be part of something bigger. That is what motivates people to work with you (not FOR you).

You can pay someone $100/hr to sweep the floors. But, if you haven't helped them see why they are a KEY person at the company - a true factor in helping that company to achieve an important and worthwhile mission.
They aren't going to do an excellent job no matter what you pay them.

Attracting 'A Players', requires you to build an environment that A Players want to work at.
Hint - it has *very* little to do with compensation.

This is 100000% on you.

Is managing people difficult? Yes.
Does it make you want to hire an uber to run yourself over sometimes? Yes.

But it's also the most gratifying thing in the world to create opportunities for others.
To watch them grow.
To watch them work 60 hours a week for your company (on fixed salary mind you) - because they CARE.
It's amazing to watch them buy houses, have families and excel in the industry - because YOU invested in them.
You helped them, you motivated and gave them goals.
You had patience, you corrected, you set high expectations, but you always had their back.

Hiring people is hard - but it's EVERYTHING.
Building an environment where the best people line up to work for your company - it's basically an art.

But, like good art - everyone knows it instantly when they see it.

--
For further reading, dedicate a few hours to Jocko Podcast Episode 244

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Our business is really struggling with finding good people. It was hard before but now?

Yikes.

We're trying to find interesting ways of enticing talented people to the business. Unorthodox methods.

I've been trying some unorthodox methods, besides posting jobs online and asking everyone I know if they know someone who wants work, I tried approaching people with jobs already at malls/store and offering them some side gigs. No bites though, and you get to ''interview'' them by pretending to be a customer & watching how they treat you / work.

One guy I met over a year ago still sticks in my mind, he was a sales guy that demo'd a product for me even though I expressed having no interest, would be great to find someone like him again. (I think he might of owned the company though not sure) Never met a sales person like that.

This is something I've never dealt with before so everything is new to me, if I manage to grow my business it really will be dependent on a few core employees with the goal of disconnecting my time to it. Otherwise I'll own a job and not a business.

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
That technique of interviewing people who already have jobs at stores? That's a smart move.

Our technique is to sell them things besides the paycheck:

• a fair amount of autonomy
• a vision of a bright future that includes them, with upward mobility
• ownership over their department to run as they see fit if it accomplishes company goals
• being part of an awesome culture
• participating in—or owning—projects that look great on a resume
• working on something bigger than just a job

The sell here is development of skills, progress, bright future, fun.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.