The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Bulk Ag Commodity Sales

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
Hello friends,

As some of you may know, I am a corn and soybean farmer and this year I'm venturing into something that I believe has significant potential for our family farm and will truly take it to another level.

98% of the soybeans grown in the United States are grown for feed, and that is what my family farm has grown for the past 3 generations... until now.

This year, we are going to try something that I believe has great potential - which is growing soybeans for human consumption.

Food soybeans have an incredible amount of different uses - from soy lecithin, textured vegetable protein, soy flour, tofu, soymilk, soy nuts, tempeh, etc. My plan is to hopefully sell industrial quantities to food companies.

Today we picked up the soybean seed and by next week, we should hopefully be planting it.
baggs.jpg
bags.jpg

The food soybeans that you eat aren't the same kind as the soybeans for feed. Food grade soybeans typically have a clear hylum (which is typically a black spot on a soybean). Here's what the food soybeans look like. (no spot)
beans.jpg

Dragging the planter out and getting it ready
planter.jpg

Let the fun begin!

Edit: @Vigilante @MJ DeMarco I'm not sure if I put this in the INSIDERS, but if it isn't, could I get it moved to the inside please?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

YoungPadawan

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015

YoungPadawan

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
They live!
IMG_20200521_164439230_HDR.jpg

YoungPadawan

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
How long until they are "ready"? Are you lining up a buyer during this time or post-harvest?
They should be ready to harvest in October. I have a list of potential food soybean buyers in my state that we could sell to, but we aren't contracting any of it, because we aren't sure of what the yields will be for sure. I'll be calling to get bids from those different locations after we've harvested. If all else fails, we can just just sell them as feed grade to our local elevator.

Trevor Kuntz

Professional Dog Owner
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Feb 5, 2012
Arizona
They should be ready to harvest in October. I have a list of potential food soybean buyers in my state that we could sell to, but we aren't contracting any of it, because we aren't sure of what the yields will be for sure. I'll be calling to get bids from those different locations after we've harvested. If all else fails, we can just just sell them as feed grade to our local elevator.
Ah, very interesting. I will definitely be following your thread and probably asking lots of questions. I am only the second generation in my family to NOT be a farmer, yet I know almost nothing about farming, so it is cool getting to see the behind-the-scenes of this venture (food-grade soybeans).

Are the seeds that you use for food-grade soybeans higher cost than feed-grade seed?

Do you have to process the soybeans post-harvest before selling to a food company buyer?

YoungPadawan

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
The feed grade soybeans that are typically grown cost about $60/unit. These food grade were about $40/unit. The trade off though is these probably have less yield.

It varies, but for food company buyers, they typically want them cleaned.

We'll be going to a guy that has a seed cleaner and optical sorter, that will remove split beans and uses jets of air to blast out discolored beans.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.