• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

WEB/DIGITAL Building to sell or to keep?

Discussion in 'Business Models, Niches, Industries' started by emorgan, Jul 24, 2007.

1. emorgan

emorgan Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $94
    I'm working on a site that I am building up to either sell, or gain sponsors/advertising for and keep. Haven't decided yet. I was wondering if anyone has had experience either way with blogs/sites. This site is one with a shelf life, but could be used again in the future.

2. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $385,316
    Admin Post
    I prefer to build and sell. However the key metric is the site has to have cash flow, or potential cash flow.

So if the site generates $5K/mo in profit - its valuation might be $180K (3X Prior Year Earnings). Typical metrics in the internet space is 3-5X earnings (for small private companies).

If there is no cash flow, you have to rely on having the domain having value, content value, SEO value, as well as the *potential* market that the site serves.

One method is too keep the site and grow its cash flow until your target sale metric is hit -- then try to sell.

MJ

Enki likes this.
  3. emorgan

emorgan Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $94
    Domain name the thing

Thank MJ- my site is about whats going on leading up to Super Bowl XLII- so thats what I mean by shelf life. It may make money leading up to that, but once thats over, the domain is where the value maybe for any future AZ Super Bowls.

I really hope to make some money with this, but more than that, make some more business connections around town, you know?

4. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $385,316
    Admin Post
    Ahhhh so thats who requested to be a friend on MySpace ....

Yes, the shelf life on that project is short!

5. emorgan

emorgan Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $94
    Bad experience

Yeah- I don't have a personal My Space- sorry! I had a bad experience with that... lol

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Be in the Moment Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,720
    Business with a shelf life... or what I called my old business... the sinking ship.

The value of your business *may* continue in the future *if* another super bowl in AZ comes along... or - could it be for every superbowl?

This is what I think...

Sell while it still has value - though I don't know if many investors would be interested in buying something that they can see ending soon.

First, I would put a little time into figuring out if it can last somehow - ie. roll into the next super bowl, and the next. etc.

Then build like crazy!

Enki likes this.
  7. kimberland

kimberland Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $123
    I agree with Sonya.
    I'd ramp up quickly with the advertising dollars and traffic
    and then sell before the event happens.

Before I sold though,
    I would try to direct some of the traffic into the next project
    (by placing an ad on my own site).

: )

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.