The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

EXECUTION Building a 'teaching' business: From slowlane to fast(er) lane.

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Jiersk

Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jun 3, 2020
Netherlands
Hey there!

Thanks for opening this thread, I hope you are doing well.

With this thread I wish to track and share my progress in a new project of mine: Becoming an online teacher/information spreader.

What subject will you teach about? Who is your audience?
The broader topic can be best classified as 'social science': a collection of scientific disciplines that study humans. This includes psychology, organizational science, sociology etc.

Roughly, the info can be divided into three categories
1) substantial topics, e.g. specific psychological concepts or organizational models,
2) methodology, e.g. how to do proper survey research or analyze your data,
3) further practices, e.g. writing papers.

(Please note, I realize that amongst academics the exact classifications of scientific disciplines is often contested and that one may be critical about my explanation of 'social sciences'. However, I used this explanation with the aim of providing an easy to understand idea of what my topics will be.)

University students that study social sciences are currently my main target demographic. I do not wish to directly compete with university, since I am not able (yet) to provide students with bachelor/masters/PhD certificates. Rather, I am aiming to provide 'supplementary' info that can help social science students at university.

What makes you think you can do this?
I have some soft and slightly harder evidence that I am at least decently good at teaching and presenting about the chosen topics. ( Whether this also carries over on video, we'll see :clench: )

My (former) fellow students would regularly ask me for advice about their assignments, some friends have even asked me for help on their thesis. I was always happy to help and really enjoyed it. A quick shoutout to @Andy Black is in place here, as he often mentions helping people in relationship to building as business.

Furthermore, I have some professional teaching experience. I have worked as a tutor for a private organization, where I taught bachelor students about the same information that I want to build this project around. The feedback I received from my students and supervisor was very positive. One compliment that really stood out to me involved one of my students saying: "why don't we get class like this at uni?".

However, now that I think back to this job: there was a huge gap between what each student paid the organization for the classes, and the pay I received.

In a way, I am moving from slow lane teaching at a job (with time-based pay etc.) to eventual fast lane teaching.

The current plan
My current plan is to do the following:

- Create informative and engaging/entertaining video's about related topics and post these on YouTube. Quick shout out to @Valier , whose incredible YouTube journey has inspired me to work on creating a YouTube as well.
- Create streamlined courses that take the students through related processes step by step. I'm planning to post these on Udemy and Skillshare first (and any other suitable platform), but with the end goal of my own website in mind.

I will attempt to create a personal brand, basically to become the go-to guy for the topics I teach.

I'll update this thread whenever I make progress, I am currently completing the collection of gear to shoot my first YouTube video. Microphone has just arrived.

Hope you guys found this first post interesting!

P.s. if you want to talk about any topics related to this, don't hesitate to shoot me a message! :)

P.p.s I mentioned the names of some other forum members. If you guys don't appreciate that, please let me know.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Andy Black

Dad, husband, entrepreneur.
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hey there!

Thanks for opening this thread, I hope you are doing well.

With this thread I wish to track and share my progress in a new project of mine: Becoming an online teacher/information spreader.

What subject will you teach about? Who is your audience?
The broader topic can be best classified as 'social science': a collection of scientific disciplines that study humans. This includes psychology, organizational science, sociology etc.

Roughly, the info can be divided into three categories
1) substantial topics, e.g. specific psychological concepts or organizational models,
2) methodology, e.g. how to do proper survey research or analyze your data,
3) further practices, e.g. writing papers.

(Please note, I realize that amongst academics the exact classifications of scientific disciplines is often contested and that one may be critical about my explanation of 'social sciences'. However, I used this explanation with the aim of providing an easy to understand idea of what my topics will be.)

University students that study social sciences are currently my main target demographic. I do not wish to directly compete with university, since I am not able (yet) to provide students with bachelor/masters/PhD certificates. Rather, I am aiming to provide 'supplementary' info that can help social science students at university.

What makes you think you can do this?
I have some soft and slightly harder evidence that I am at least decently good at teaching and presenting about the chosen topics. ( Whether this also carries over on video, we'll see :clench: )

My (former) fellow students would regularly ask me for advice about their assignments, some friends have even asked me for help on their thesis. I was always happy to help and really enjoyed it. A quick shoutout to @Andy Black is in place here, as he often mentions helping people in relationship to building as business.

Furthermore, I have some professional teaching experience. I have worked as a tutor for a private organization, where I taught bachelor students about the same information that I want to build this project around. The feedback I received from my students and supervisor was very positive. One compliment that really stood out to me involved one of my students saying: "why don't we get class like this at uni?".

However, now that I think back to this job: there was a huge gap between what each student paid the organization for the classes, and the pay I received.

In a way, I am moving from slow lane teaching at a job (with time-based pay etc.) to eventual fast lane teaching.

The current plan
My current plan is to do the following:

- Create informative and engaging/entertaining video's about related topics and post these on YouTube. Quick shout out to @Valier , whose incredible YouTube journey has inspired me to work on creating a YouTube as well.
- Create streamlined courses that take the students through related processes step by step. I'm planning to post these on Udemy and Skillshare first (and any other suitable platform), but with the end goal of my own website in mind.

I will attempt to create a personal brand, basically to become the go-to guy for the topics I teach.

I'll update this thread whenever I make progress, I am currently completing the collection of gear to shoot my first YouTube video. Microphone has just arrived.

Hope you guys found this first post interesting!

P.s. if you want to talk about any topics related to this, don't hesitate to shoot me a message! :)

P.p.s I mentioned the names of some other forum members. If you guys don't appreciate that, please let me know.
Cool.

Maybe this chat might interest you:

SamHalen

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Dec 13, 2019
Austin
Hey there!

I also work as an online educator although my audience is very niche. It's a business course that people are required to take.

University students that study social sciences are currently my main target demographic. [\QUOTE]

It sounds like you already have a target audience. What worked for me was answering questions on reddit and on a professional forum. Find these people and help them now.

OP
OP
Jiersk

Jiersk

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jun 3, 2020
Netherlands
Hey there!

I also work as an online educator although my audience is very niche. It's a business course that people are required to take.
Hey Sam! Thanks for responding to my threat. Apologies for the late response, Ive actually been spending almost all of my time creating my firat course.

How are you experiencing the online education business?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox's Web Design Guide: Earn $100K this year (Yes, 2020!) and Go Fastlane
How do I sell to a different country with an accent? And a foreign number. Cold e-mails don't...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
Hey @Cruiser I just shot you a reply! Amazing product BTW!
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Well, we made it halfway through the year. Don't know what the rest'll bring, but it's gonna be...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Not really a teaser but it does employ a fictional story, so that is similiar. This upcoming...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Dropping a quick note in here to say... if you are on TFL, you are part of an elite group of...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom