The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Building a business living on a nest egg, not a stable 9-5?

Zarathustra

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Aug 29, 2017
United States
After my last business ran its course, I'm now left with a somewhat large nest egg that could last me maybe a year or two. It feels like such a different experience running on a nest egg with zero net income versus having a stable 9-5 in case your business ventures don't pan out. I've never had a stable 9-5 and started this business out of highschool basically.

Some people would relax if they had a year or two of liveable nest egg to work off of, but for me, it's stressing me out.

Is there any business that isn't too capital intensive and I can reasonably start up in a year or two? I'm really interested in basically the highest percentage success, but probably highly time intensive business (since time is the trade off when choosing high odds of success businesses). Like a self-employed type of deal, just so I can get the financial haunting off my back without getting a $10/hr job given I'm 21 and don't have a college degree. Thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Games247

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jul 31, 2019
I'm actually in a similar situation. I recently decided to teach myself web development and get a part time remote job doing that, to avoid a squeeze situation if I run out of savings.

Since I have a year worth of money saved I have enough time to learn a skill and get a job that suits me.

On top of being able to work remotely, web development is useful for entrepreneurship as well.

oku

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Aug 20, 2019
Sell your skills. Or pay for a course that gives you a blueprint to making money online.

Zarathustra

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Aug 29, 2017
United States
I recently decided to teach myself web development and get a part time remote job doing that, to avoid a squeeze situation if I run out of savings.

This whole software/coder thing is actually starting to become much more interesting, since it's so high in demand.

I'm really curious where exactly you're learning from? Is this a credentialed situation? What's your background experience like (any related college degrees or a history coding as a hobby)? What is your plan to foray into a part-time coding job?

oku

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Aug 20, 2019
This whole software/coder thing is actually starting to become much more interesting, since it's so high in demand.

I'm really curious where exactly you're learning from? Is this a credentialed situation? What's your background experience like (any coding degrees or a history coding as a hobby)? What is your plan to foray into a part-time coding job?
Dude it's really easy to learn. After a year of consistency, it becomes habitual.
Learn anything from www.udemy.com only pay for top rated courses. Most times $200 courses go on sale for $11

Games247

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jul 31, 2019

I'm really curious where exactly you're learning from? Is this a credentialed situation? What's your background experience like (any related college degrees or a history coding as a hobby)? What is your plan to foray into a part-time coding job?

I've been watching this guy on youtube:
View: https://youtu.be/62tsiY5j4_0

As well as this guy:
View: https://youtu.be/XEIxr0blaEE

The basic strategy is to learn to code by making a few apps, have a personal website, then start applying.

I have no official certifications. My fastlane plan is to make a ton of iphone games, I learned to code by making games in unity.

Zarathustra

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Aug 29, 2017
United States
Dude it's really easy to learn. After a year of consistency, it becomes habitual.
Learn anything from www.udemy.com only pay for top rated courses. Most times $200 courses go on sale for $11

I think the credential part is the problem. Have you gotten a part-time or full-time remote job solely off Udemy courses?

Zarathustra

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Aug 29, 2017
United States
You just have to make a few apps to prove you actually know how to code.

Can vouch.. a resume in the dev tech field is what you've done/completed not what/where you learned.

The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking that having a solid coding/dev background could be very useful to transitioning into Fastlane projects like software development. There's so many things that can be done with software it's crazy.

I think my biggest hurdles right now are:

1. I hated the AP computer science class I took in high school (possibly b/c of the teacher)
2. Never really considered myself brilliant at math nor am I a huge fan of the actual process of coding (I've known people who just loved this stuff, but I never really did)
3. It's going to be a giant pain in this a$$ to acquire this new skillset (honestly the smallest hurdle)

Question for @Games247 @James Fend and others-- Given I have no other major work responsibilities atm, if I started learning coding today with the intention of getting a part-time/full-time entry job with it, how long do you think this would take?

Last edited:

oku

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Aug 20, 2019
I think the credential part is the problem. Have you gotten a part-time or full-time remote job solely off Udemy courses?

Within the first month of completing the course I had gotten 3 clients. I was designing sites for $250.00.

Games247

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jul 31, 2019
The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking that having a solid coding/dev background could be very useful to transitioning into Fastlane projects like software development. There's so many things that can be done with software it's crazy.

I think my biggest hurdles right now are:

1. I hated the AP computer science class I took in high school (possibly b/c of the teacher)
2. Never really considered myself brilliant at math nor am I a huge fan of the actual process of coding (I've known people who just loved this stuff, but I never really did)
3. It's going to be a giant pain in this a$$ to acquire this new skillset (honestly the smallest hurdle)

Question for @Games247 @James Fend and others-- Given I have no other major work responsibilities atm, if I started learning coding today with the intention of getting a part-time/full-time entry job with it, how long do you think this would take?
I learned to make games using unity, which uses the C# programming language. After three months of coding two hours or more per day I felt competent in using C#, meaning I know the basics and understand what the code I write will do. I can find something on the internet, tweak it, and make it work for what I'm doing.

Now I'm learning javascript/HTML/CSS. From what I've heard it's easier to learn new languages after the first. I will start applying for jobs near the end of September, I may do some freelancing first though. Just depends.

I currently work using the pomodoro technique and do a minimum of 8 pomodoros every day. Often doing extra. I'm also writing a book.

oku

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Aug 20, 2019
You really might as well take the time to learn either way. You'll need it as a modern entrepreneur.

Rawseed

Legendary Lurker
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Mar 1, 2018
Atlanta, GA
You're in a great situation. But, you're thinking like an old man. You're 21!

You don't need a college degree. You have a skills and experiences that 99% of people in the world don't have. You have created and exited a successful business.

Coding is a great skill to have. But, it's a skill you don't need right now. Because you already have money in the bank.

Don't learn to code. Instead build a productocracy. Do it while you're young.

Find a problem. Validate that people will pay for a solution. Then create a solution.

If that solution is software or an application, then hire a programmer.

If you can't afford to hire a programmer, then and only then should you learn to code.

And you should only learn enough to code the solution you're trying to create.

I have nothing against learning to code. And if you didn't have the nest egg, I'd tell you to learn how to code. But, only so you could earn the money you need to build your productocracy.

You're in a unique situation. And I applaud you for getting yourself where you are.

I wish I was as smart as you when I was 21. Even when I was 31. I'm actually almost 41 and I might not be there yet.

Don't waste this opportunity.

Rawseed

Legendary Lurker
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Mar 1, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Also, while you're building this productocracy, downsize your life. Go bare bones.

If you're renting a house/apartment, move out. Then rent a room from someone else.

If you own a house/condo, rent out all the rooms and sleep on the couch in the living room.

The only luxuries you need are quality food, minimal exercise equipment, reliable transportation, and a quality mattress.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.