EntreprenBurger
PARKED
- Joined
- Jul 12, 2011
- Messages
- 2
Rep Bank
$25
$25
Hello all -
I have recently run across an opportunity that could be huge for me. It's a cosmetics product that is only currently being sold in an asian country. I am not aware of its distribution out there, but as per Google, it only seems to be in this one particular southeast asian country.
A friend of mine about a year ago used it and i was blown away by her results. I was so shocked by the transformation it gave her that I asked what it was. This product is something that might end up being used by every female in the United States, if they knew it existed. It's that big.
My friend brought some of it home with her from this country and gave me a box which has contact information for the company who makes it. I am really unsure how to go about reaching the ultimate goal: Being the main distribution channel for their product in the United States. Its a product that can only be administered by salons, and as far as i know, only by a trained stylist. Its not something that
someone can do at home. So on some level a lot of footwork would need to be done door-to-door convincing salons to try it out. Im pretty convinced if they do, they'll start making repeat orders.
That being said, I am apprehensive how to approach the company who makes it overseas. Surely there must be some reason why they haven't expanded in the US market already? Are there FDA restrictions that I dont know about which stopped them? Why would they give their product to lil ole me and entrust its exposure? Would I need to hire an army of sales people to go to salons and market it? There are so many questions, and I have no experience bringing a product to the United States from overseas, so I dont know where to begin.
I'm also concerned that if my first contact with this company isnt well thought-out, i could stab myself in the foot. What if I come to them and *give* them this idea, and they go with someone else? What if I offer to take their product back and sell it, and they're not convinced Im worth the effort? Should I have all my backing and sales people ready like a big company would?
Some background: I currently own and operate a cosmetics related suite of web sites that are for a specific dermatological condition. I run the largest of those sites on the web and it has been in business for over 12 years. The site grosses me about $650,000 a year through cosmetics sales (half of which goes back into buying new inventory, and 30% of the remainder goes to taxes. So you can kind of see my budget. I could finagle a speech about how I run the largest "X" site on the web and could begin selling it there, but honestly if its for Salons, then I can't go directly business to consumer.
I feel like I need a business advisor who wont steal my idea but I dont know where to start.
Help!
I have recently run across an opportunity that could be huge for me. It's a cosmetics product that is only currently being sold in an asian country. I am not aware of its distribution out there, but as per Google, it only seems to be in this one particular southeast asian country.
A friend of mine about a year ago used it and i was blown away by her results. I was so shocked by the transformation it gave her that I asked what it was. This product is something that might end up being used by every female in the United States, if they knew it existed. It's that big.
My friend brought some of it home with her from this country and gave me a box which has contact information for the company who makes it. I am really unsure how to go about reaching the ultimate goal: Being the main distribution channel for their product in the United States. Its a product that can only be administered by salons, and as far as i know, only by a trained stylist. Its not something that
someone can do at home. So on some level a lot of footwork would need to be done door-to-door convincing salons to try it out. Im pretty convinced if they do, they'll start making repeat orders.
That being said, I am apprehensive how to approach the company who makes it overseas. Surely there must be some reason why they haven't expanded in the US market already? Are there FDA restrictions that I dont know about which stopped them? Why would they give their product to lil ole me and entrust its exposure? Would I need to hire an army of sales people to go to salons and market it? There are so many questions, and I have no experience bringing a product to the United States from overseas, so I dont know where to begin.
I'm also concerned that if my first contact with this company isnt well thought-out, i could stab myself in the foot. What if I come to them and *give* them this idea, and they go with someone else? What if I offer to take their product back and sell it, and they're not convinced Im worth the effort? Should I have all my backing and sales people ready like a big company would?
Some background: I currently own and operate a cosmetics related suite of web sites that are for a specific dermatological condition. I run the largest of those sites on the web and it has been in business for over 12 years. The site grosses me about $650,000 a year through cosmetics sales (half of which goes back into buying new inventory, and 30% of the remainder goes to taxes. So you can kind of see my budget. I could finagle a speech about how I run the largest "X" site on the web and could begin selling it there, but honestly if its for Salons, then I can't go directly business to consumer.
I feel like I need a business advisor who wont steal my idea but I dont know where to start.
Help!
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
