The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Breaking Zero Step 2: Web design/layout

intrigue

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Apr 21, 2011
Welcome to part 2 of my epic internet marketing journey. If you followed my other thread https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/we...arketing/33451-domain-ideas-help-me-pick.html, I bought my domain ( www.breakingzero.com )

But now I need your help and choosing some looks (some of them are premium).

First, I have Thesis premium theme already. But it is more of a wordpress framework that's AWESOME (based on what other people say).

It's default visible design is pretty plain though, which can be good in some cases.
But, my blog is going to be a brand, so it needs to be a little sexier.

My Goal: I need to find a sexy Thesis theme SKIN to use. I don't know if a premium skin on top of ALREADY paying for thesis, is worth it. There are a few free skins available. I'll let you decide...

Option 1: $67 Thesis Blogskin Thesis Blog Skin

I heard this mentioned on a few sites, looks pretty solid, like a serious commercial blogging website such as johnchow.com or problogger.net

Option 2: $60 Thesis is Easy Easy Thesis Skin

Just another decent looking theme.

Option 2: $37 Thesis Blogussion Blogussion Inspired Skin

Seems like a more masculine theme. Maybe fits more visually with the concept of "Breaking Zero."

Option 3: $37 Thesis Marketer Marketers Delight

Same company, it's pretty sexy too.

Option 4: FREE Thesis Nexis Nexis Free

Well, it's pretty decent, has less bells and whistles as far as internet marketing is concerned. It's free however.... which is always good.

You decide, I pick!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
Dude, having someone help you pick your domain name and wordpress theme for the website you intend to build is not at all "epic". If you can't make simple-a$$ decisions like this for yourself, you might want to re-think internet marketing as a career.

77startup

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 4, 2011
Chicago
I personal like marketers delight, it instantly "hit me" as interesting.

minamo

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 11, 2010
I dont get you guys.

He already spend time looking up multiple options he likes,and he just wants to see what people prefer before he puts it online. Im sure you guys had loads of insecure qeustions aswell.

Ontopic:

On the options you selected, i would prefer the thesis.

However, if you really want to be unique and learn fast in the same time, pick up a programming language! It isn,t that hard,and you have something no one else has then. If it does get too hard work with joomla or wordpress. Good luck!.

:)

intrigue

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Apr 21, 2011
Dude, having someone help you pick your domain name and wordpress theme for the website you intend to build is not at all "epic". If you can't make simple-a$$ decisions like this for yourself, you might want to re-think internet marketing as a career.

I'm new, that's why I ask (if it wasn't obvious already).

MamaD

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 5, 2011
Maryland
IMO... go for a free theme.

You're new to this so readers aren't going to expect "sexy". They're going to expect "noob". They're looking for the story and the process. If your blog has the intention to show the process of "making money online", then those are the type of people you'll attract. Folks that are probably already broke don't have lots on $$ to invest and really need to bootstrap. Don't spend $$ on themes that are totally unnecessary at this point...you have bigger fish to fry (content & readers).

Free Theme...pimp it out the best you can and change your blog design when you start making $$.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Find a theme and go with it for now. Having the total image you want right at the start isn't what's important in this case--that's the cool thing with a blog in your area--like another posted said, we expect noob, so embrace that. Continually refine it as you develop your style and keep us posted along the way. Throw something up and focus on quality content and finding your voice in your writing. Great job with moving forward!

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA

while in most cases I would agree, there is a small crowdsourcing type element to this. If you invest the time to help him pick and he goes with what you recommended, there is an emotianal tie, be it ever so small, for you to this project. In a sense, everyone who gives him advice now has their own little 'baby' that will in some create the desire to follow the baby and see where it ends up. Some may even want to help the baby grow initially because of this feeling.

conversely, if he decides against what you recommend, there is a natural temptation to monitor for failure because he was too stupid to take your great advice. (using you genericly not you specifically kwerner)

overall, not a bad strategy to gain some initial traction on a site launch. The key will be sticking to it and following through.

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
I'm new, that's why I ask (if it wasn't obvious already).

My bad, I didn't realize that you had zero experience. I misunderstood your intent; I thought you were asking questions because you couldn't make decisions on your own, I didn't realize that you were asking because you are trying to learn.

You should check out the 30 Day Challenge. It's a free 30 day online course that will give you the basics of how to register a domain, build a website, use social marketing to get traffic to your website, etc. Most of the basics. It will probably be a bit overwhelming at first, but it points you in the right general direction and you'll learn a lot.

Then you can take the principles from MJ's book and build a site that fills a need. Good luck to ya!

PS - Don't spend any money on themes and stuff like that until you've learned the basics.

intrigue

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Apr 21, 2011
My bad, I didn't realize that you had zero experience. I misunderstood your intent; I thought you were asking questions because you couldn't make decisions on your own, I didn't realize that you were asking because you are trying to learn.

You should check out the 30 Day Challenge. It's a free 30 day online course that will give you the basics of how to register a domain, build a website, use social marketing to get traffic to your website, etc. Most of the basics. It will probably be a bit overwhelming at first, but it points you in the right general direction and you'll learn a lot.

Then you can take the principles from MJ's book and build a site that fills a need. Good luck to ya!

PS - Don't spend any money on themes and stuff like that until you've learned the basics.

I can just google the challenge right? I'll be looking it up now.

I've put up a few amateur websites already utilizing the Thesis theme framework. So I do have my feet wet as far as getting websites started.

The main reason why I was trying to figure out a premium theme/skin to use is because it already has all those marketing elements in place. Buttons for social bookmarking and a professional layout for internet marketing standards. That way I can spend less time on superficial stuff like web design and do more important stuff (create valuable content that people need).

However, other guys have brought up a good point, that I should start with a free theme and play up my beginner's concept and then upgrade to a better one later.

I will follow all of your advice exactly. Free theme it is... in fact, I just installed the free one today.

I'll hopefully have my first sexy (epic) post up by the end of the day too.

Thank you all so much for your feedback and critique. You guys are awesome.

mrhahn

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Apr 21, 2011
San Diego
Just checked out your site. Good job on taking action.

I'm glad you went with the free theme for now. And I'm also glad you chose one that's decent for the time being and not painful to the eyes.

You may want to fix your grammar on your tagline. It should be "his" first dollar.

I'm curious to see how you progress. I'll be following you

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
Blogussion in my opinion, and no any other of the offered themes, they're no good (again, just an opinion).

Great domain name too, good luck on your path to fastlane:)

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
PS. and I must say the theme you currently have on your website is perfectly fitting.

intrigue

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Apr 21, 2011
Thanks guys, you guys are made of awesomesauce with a pinch of awesomespice!

I picked my skin already, thanks to you all.

Updates to follow!

SwiftBlog

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 10, 2011
Kinda funny, but when I started internet marketing 3 years ago, I did almost the same exact thing. Something along the lines of "Young entrepreneur's path to success online" lol. I never made anything from it but it was pretty interesting to get people's feedback on your hardships etc.

intrigue

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Apr 21, 2011
Kinda funny, but when I started internet marketing 3 years ago, I did almost the same exact thing. Something along the lines of "Young entrepreneur's path to success online" lol. I never made anything from it but it was pretty interesting to get people's feedback on your hardships etc.

True, however, it is very possible to make money this way.. a lot of it.

Passive Income: The Smart Passive Income Blog is one great example. He ranks in about $300,000 a year.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.