The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

breaking the habit

Steve K

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Jan 9, 2008
new york city
how do you guys break the habit of being unmotivated and being procrastinators ?

i left my job for three months now, and although i have read a lot of books on business/marketing/self help, i sometimes find myself saying "oh,ill do that tomorrow" , and tomorrow turns into the day after tomorrow..

any suggestions on how to become HIGHLY active most of the time...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jito

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Dec 2, 2007
Bay Area
Only thing that works for me is creating TO DO lists and making myself accountable to it.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
Writing things down as a list are very important. Goal-setting and planning were two things I didn't care too much about when I first came stumbled upon the Fastlane here, but ever since I've realized the crucial role they play in success, I've started to believe in them and care about them.

Also, something that works for me is to eliminate all distractions. For example, if you're trying to get a business plan done and the TV is on, simply turn it off. Find a comfortable place to work, and get started. For me, getting started is the hardest part. Once I overcome that hurdle, I'm usually good to go.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Welcome. Really not trying to be a smart a__ here but, if you left your job and have no income... hunger will soon be your motivator. I do hope it doesn't come to that and you find something else to wind you up. I listen to a motivational tape every morning as I walk on my treadmill. You have got to find the inner strength to start the things you know you need to do. Good luck.:cheers:

Greg

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Motivation comes from two sources: External Factors (that's why many people listen to tapes or motivational audiobooks) and Internal Drive (you are doing what you really want to do).

External motivators are usually short-lived (you get excited about something but soon the effect passes and you don't want to do anything else). Internal motivators, that drive that you see in successful people, is what makes the difference in the long run.

There is a great thread about creating your plan. I suggest you follow that one and do the exercises in there. You need to know WHO you are first and then decide WHAT you really WANT from life. Without a plan that follows your real goals you are going nowhere. No matter how many cheerleaders you have next to you, you will soon lose the motivation as you are doing something that is not the real 'you'.

Poudda

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Sep 7, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
I have found it a great help to join in with the "Goals of the Month" threads. Still have to do one for January. I'm a BIG TIME procrastinator (hence the reason why I haven't posted for January) but whenever I put together a list of things that need to get done, I've done them (except for the "quit my job" item - thought it was a bit reckless, and I discovered that I didn't have the balls to do it).

Cheers!

GettingThere

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Dec 3, 2007
Central Florida
I'll respond to this post tomorrow.

Kidding...Procrastination is tough to break. Until it really bites you in the rear, it seems to creep back into certain aspects of life. I believe it was mentioned on here that you have to remove the word tomorrow from your vocabulary (at least when in dialogue with your own thoughts). Very true. I personally have been really trying to replace 'tomorrow' with 'today' or 'now'. For the couple of items to which I have applied this theme, it has worked.

Perhaps reading a blog or article of someone who has been diagnosed with a terminal illness. People who are given a markedly limited amount of time to be around often develop an amazing new outlook on life and acting on personal desires or goals. Could be just what you need to get going.

Good luck, and stick around this forum...there is much around here to motivate, especially when there are members at similar stages of fastlaneism who seem to be moving forward while perhaps another in the same starting stage is standing still due to a lack of action and/or focus.

David

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Jan 14, 2008
Sydney
Personally I used to be in the dark procastinating all the time and just being a bum. In the end it only gotten worse, almost dropped out of college from not bothering to study or attending classes, hanging out with the wrong crowd etc...

It all changed once I realised what I wanted, for that you've gotta look deep down into what you want. For me, the turning point was seeing almost all my friends going no where in life. I started small and it slowly rolled into bigger and bigger waves of sucess. If you fail once, then try and try again cause in the end what drives you is the taste of success.

Anyways the first rule I ever made was waking up earlier instead just waking up whenever I wanted (usually noon). It only takes a little bit of effort to earn so much output its amazing how procastination messes you up.

Good luck with everything, no one can motivate you as much as you can motivate yourself. So forget the tapes and stories and go do what you wanna do deep down. Everyone can tell you so much but its only for you to decide.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.