The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Brand recognition: should I spend a lot of time building it?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Torrey

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jan 5, 2012
Starting a company from the ground up. Just wondering, in the midst of building a website, marketing strategy, pitch, and brand, should I be spending a lot of time and effort on brand recognition?

I.e. I spent hours last week developing a logo, name, business colors, etc. made t shirts and now making business cards and flyers. Will be making a bumper sticker for my car, few other ideas just to get my business name rolling.

Question: is spending time developing a brand crucial in the early stages of my startup, and, if so, what other things could I be doing to express my brand? Thank you bunches.

Torrey

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jchris18

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Dec 15, 2013
Devon, UK.
It depends on your niche and target market. It's not the first thing you should be doing in my opinion. What's the point in spending time making bumper stickers if you aren't even going to make a sale

Gsuz

If you want the crown, you gotta take it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jul 3, 2012
I think developing a brand is crucial in every stage of a company, but for me that does not involve printing stickers, flyers and T-shirts.

It's more about creating a product or a service that transports the values your brand claims to stand for. Let your products and users be your ambassadors. People will get to know you and your company from interacting and engaging(read: buy) with you and your products/services, not by some bumper sticker on a Ford.

Create something that is worth branding. Then print stickers, if you want to.

Torrey

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jan 5, 2012
Okay. So ignore the little crap right now as far as branding. I probably have enough now anyways. I guess now my focus will be to make the website user friendly while also getting my sales pitch in gear. This will set me up for next week where I can focus on selling.

TJPB

Defy Ordinary
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 9, 2012
Colorado
All good suggestions above. The product/service really is important.

Here comes the but......but, there are instances when people won't give a rat's butt about your product or service if there is no brand.

Have you mentioned elsewhere what your business is? Sorry if I've missed that. Would be good to know to answer this question better.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
Question: is spending time developing a brand crucial in the early stages of my startup, and, if so, what other things could I be doing to express my brand? Thank you bunches.
No, backwards thinking. Create customers that adore you, they will build your brand.

Blueskies4me

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jan 9, 2014
Noblesville, Indiana
I wouldn't focus on it but you want them to find you through your brand...if someone is looking for widgets you'd be really happy if all they could remember was it was called Torrey something. When people say I have a Mongoose I'm pretty sure 90% of people think "that's a cool bike" not "that's a cool pet" because they associate the brand Mongoose with a decent bike. Some people's business is their brand like Angie's List. It would be harder to market if she just had just called it a Really Great List for Finding Awesome Service. As far as putting money into it, nah. If you identify how you stand out, people will find you.

SerpKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Jun 6, 2013
Have you validated the idea?

Validate the idea, get some signups or sales.

I wouldn't put too much time/effort/money into anything until you know that the market wants what you're selling

Enki

on-ramp
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jun 18, 2013
Cleveland, Oh USA
More often than not your product or service is going to evolve. you might come to realize that all that work that you did on branding does little to contribute to your bottom line.

It's the biggest mistake I ever made with any business I started or tried to start.

Have you validated the idea?

Validate the idea, get some signups or sales.

I wouldn't put too much time/effort/money into anything until you know that the market wants what you're selling

And to add to what was said here. once you have steady predictable sales you can reinvest into outsourcing what would take you hours to do in branding logos and such.

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
I wrote a post about pre-sales a while back...Get the money asap bro. Forget looking sexy with the business cards and logos.

I wasted an entire year of my early 20's building a website, creating an LLC, and having business cards made for a company that got exactly zero customers. Lower your risk by starting a business in this order:

1. Validate demand
2. Get pre-sale money
3. Manufacture prototype/service
4. Marketing, marketing, marketing
5. Scale, scale, scale!

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/the-astonishing-secrets-that-zen*******-never-told-you…exposed.50097/#post-327413

Last edited by a moderator:

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
all that work that you did on branding does little to contribute to your bottom line.

Numero uno mistake I see intelligent guys making, is they think "how can I be THAT guy!" pointing at a poster of coke or something.
Most businesses don't need brand, they need to clearly demonstrate WHAT they are doing, how it is valuable, and how the person can get it without having to stress.

The second biggest issue I see all the time is manager stubborness, where the guy thinks "his vision" is the WAY the business will bring in customers (often its the EXACT OPPOSITE and his vision is stopping them succeeding). You need to focus on things that actually have a visible effect on the real world or that increases the fluency at which you can deliver your value at low cost.

Third mistake is big doe eyes, "oh please please please pick me!", lets not beg and plead customers to enter our shops but do the groundwork to get them excited and then be casual and cool with them as they and all their friends come and get some great deals. Nothing screams "I just want your money" more than a guy with big wet puppy eyes saying "pick me!", don't be that guy, be the guy that pounds the pavement and is so tired that when he meets a customer he is just HAPPY he isn't pounding more pavement.

Don't confuse branding and wanting to be better than everyone else because it seems like it will get you the highest return for your effort. Nah, focus on real things and you'll get real results. Brand when you have an idea on what customers really want and you want to consolodate on that business connection you have built.

UniversalMind

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 24, 2011
United States
Like the others have said, definitely focus on producing a viable product, after you figure out if there is a big enough demand to produce it. Having a great product will definitely put your name out there via word of mouth. Branding strategy should only come later after the demand is there. Keep us posted on your results.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.