The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

#BoycottApplebees

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

RaviX

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 14, 2022
Some of you guys may have seen this hashtag going around on social media '#BoycottApplebees." For those that have not, An Applebees executive sent out a tasteless greedy email talking about how the increase in gas prices is good for the restaurant. I will attach the email with this post. This scenario reminds me of how MJ talks about going public and how that takes away the focus from the customers and the employees and turns it to shareholders. I am not saying to boycott Applebees or anything like that but I do think there should be some repercussions for this executive who owns over 50 plus restaurants in the midwest. How should Applebees handle this? Anyone here agree with this executive?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Attachments

• Applebees1.jpg
    Applebees1.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Applebees2.jpg
    Applebees2.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 37

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
The only word that comes to mind is gross. Just gross and disgusting and pure revulsion

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Blaming the wrong stuff...

Goofy letter. Bad economic situation. True? Maybe. Worth boycotting the chain? Probably not.

Last edited by a moderator:

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Sounds like an economics lesson to me.

Sure it lacks heart, but so does economics. I can't find anything technically wrong with his assessment. He's taking a long view on current market conditions. Maybe he is right, maybe he is wrong, but isn't this what business owners are supposed to do?

Tasteless? Greedy? Okaaaay. But there's two sides of that coin.

The other side is to call the employees who work for him "lazy" or "lacking drive" just because they work at an Applebee's.

Or calling the small businesses that he competes against "fools" or saying they "lack vision" for getting into such a low margin business.

Maybe these people should "get a real job/business" or they should "unscript" themselves.

Maybe everyone is right about these labels they throw around on others. It's the way of things I suppose.

But what does any of that have to do with running your business?

What's the point of starting a thread like this? Just want to have "an interesting discussion"?

Put your head down and get to work.

RaviX

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 14, 2022
Sounds like an economics lesson to me.

Sure it lacks heart, but so does economics. I can't find anything technically wrong with his assessment. He's taking a long view on current market conditions. Maybe he is right, maybe he is wrong, but isn't this what business owners are supposed to do?

Tasteless? Greedy? Okaaaay. But there's two sides of that coin.

The other side is to call the employees who work for him "lazy" or "lacking drive" just because they work at an Applebee's.

Or calling the small businesses that he competes against "fools" or saying they "lack vision" for getting into such a low margin business.

Maybe these people should "get a real job/business" or they should "unscript" themselves.

Maybe everyone is right about these labels they throw around on others. It's the way of things I suppose.

But what does any of that have to do with running your business?

What's the point of starting a thread like this? Just want to have "an interesting discussion"?

Put your head down and get to work.
The point of this forum is not just to talk about "my business." I think this can be a post that entrepenuaers can learn from. Things NOT to do, like forget the humanity aspect of running a business. Especially in times like these were everything is under a microscope. A mistake like this (which it is) probably won't hurt Applebee's much. But it can yours. I'm sure we will be hearing some form of apology/action of some sort issued here soon. And yes, "an interesting discussion." Thanks for you contribution.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Is this the "current thing!?" YES, I SUPPORT THE CURRENT THING!

Joking aside, I understand what the letter is trying to say, it is simply poorly written and in poor taste. Not even sure it is economically true. This is why people hate corporations who treat employees like disposable pawns on a chess board. Certainly not something to throw in a nationwide corporate communique, at least this callously stated.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
There was really no need to write this letter. It’s just weird.

He’s basically saying the number of people looking for jobs will increase as the stimulus and unemployment benefits end, so they can pay new hires less. But you’d think that the store managers would probably infer this when they see an increase in applications and prob higher quality applicants.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.