The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Bowflex Adjustable Dumbbells being knocked off?

Implacabilis

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Feb 19, 2020
Scotland, Edinburgh
Hey guys. I wondered if someone would be so kind as to take a look at a patent that has been enforced for a product i was selling. I knew bowflex had designed the initial concept but stupidly didn't think they would have an active patent in place. So of course naturally I am no longer able to sell the cheaper imports from China. Even although they are dam good quality!

Bizzarley I have just been reading up on design protection and patent law for my own product due to be released soon. So I understand why these things are in place. I lost my job due to coronavirus and have a 9 year old girl to support as well as best laid plans for 2020 that have been shattered. I was just trying to adapt and make a little money on the side with the dreaded dropshipping! Hate doing it but managed to import from Europe so customers don't have to wait to long. But now this!

Anyway long and short of it, is this patent active in the UK? Bearing in mind we are no longer part of the EU. And, does this patent allow bowflex to stop these being mass produced and sold all over the web. Mainly Alibaba. As far as i can see this only covers the US? But difficult to understand some of these parents.

Initial Bowflex Adjustable Dumbbell Patent

My website is www.home-fitness-world.com if anyone would also like to suggest improvements on building websites. I'm new to this also.

Thank you in advance for everyone's time.

Gareth.

PS take it easy on me! My world has been turned upside down and only just recovered from 1 month of falling ill to this horrid thing! But you adapt and thrive right!? Or try.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ravenspear

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 25, 2016
There have been plenty of adjustable dumbbells from companies besides Bowflex. Must be something specific with the design. It would seem unlikely that an active patent has prevented others from entering that space, as I’ve definitely used other brands, both plastic and iron.

Entre Eyes

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 7, 2019
Traveling to Higher Conciousness
Hey guys. I wondered if someone would be so kind as to take a look at a patent that has been enforced for a product i was selling. I knew bowflex had designed the initial concept but stupidly didn't think they would have an active patent in place. So of course naturally I am no longer able to sell the cheaper imports from China. Even although they are dam good quality!

Bizzarley I have just been reading up on design protection and patent law for my own product due to be released soon. So I understand why these things are in place. I lost my job due to coronavirus and have a 9 year old girl to support as well as best laid plans for 2020 that have been shattered. I was just trying to adapt and make a little money on the side with the dreaded dropshipping! Hate doing it but managed to import from Europe so customers don't have to wait to long. But now this!

Anyway long and short of it, is this patent active in the UK? Bearing in mind we are no longer part of the EU. And, does this patent allow bowflex to stop these being mass produced and sold all over the web. Mainly Alibaba. As far as i can see this only covers the US? But difficult to understand some of these parents.

My website is www.home-fitness-world.com if anyone would also like to suggest improvements on building websites. I'm new to this also.

Gareth.

PS take it easy on me! My world has been turned upside down and only just recovered from 1 month of falling ill to this horrid thing! But you adapt and thrive right!? Or try.

First of all Congrats on what you have accomplished thus far.
I can not comment too much on patents but I visited your website and overall it looks great but it never enticed me to click anything.

You have Call to Actions all over the place that is a thumbs up but they do not look like buttons they actually blend right into the content.

Also the wording is very generic. When you get a chance, spend some fun time here...

The first thing people should experience on your site is a helpful freebie opt in and you have one..sort of..very generic box wayyyyyyyyy down at the very bottom. :)

Do you know if you spend more time on building a list, little bit of copy writing, and irresistible lead magnet freebie you could be promoting all types of affiliate products and high ticket premium training as an affiliate and would not even be worried about that dumbell my friend.

More Digital less physical better profit margins. Especially if you ever decide to create or have someone create your own info-product/service/app.

Implacabilis

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Feb 19, 2020
Scotland, Edinburgh
Hi guys. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

The website feedback is just what I'm looking for! Some very valuable constructive feedback. You ask family and friends and they just tell you the nice version. I don't need the nice version! I need people being honest, pick it apart! Thats how you learn about these things. What looks ok to you, may make no sense to everybody else!

Listen thank you so much for that feedback. I can see exactly what you mean about each point you make. It all looks a bit scattered and disconnected somehow. I was a personal trainer back in my day, so I may bring a very basic fitness online consultation to the top of the website to entice customers in, even if just to have more of a look at the website. If I'm helping others get fit without sales, so bit it. It may lead to something down the line. With regards to the buttons, I get what you mean. I think I will have to learn a bit of coding or download a more premium website builder to amend these. But all is great advice! Best bit, you are spot on, way way too generic! I need to tell them how, and why we can get them fit, and in what area! Making generic statements like that just comes across as spammy!

Reading books on neuromarketing and what makes people buy or make an emotional connection to site, brand or protect before they buy! A lot to learn but fascinating!

I will get to work straight away! Thank you so much. If anyone else wants to take a look and pop over a comment for improving it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Gareth.

VincentV

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jun 12, 2018
The Netherlands
Also consider creating and posting video's with your products. Make it personal to gain trust and start the relationship. Also good for conversion.

Good luck :thumbsup:

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
I lost my job due to coronavirus and have a 9 year old girl to support as well as best laid plans for 2020 that have been shattered.

Product based businesses take time and reinvested capital to build.

If I was you, I'd consider trading time for money until you're in a position to pursue this venture. If you're low on cash, and that's the problem you're trying to solve, then drop shipping is not the best solution.

MrBounceBack

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 13, 2020
Denver, CO
Agreed with AgainstAllOdds. I've actually used these Bowflex alternatives:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...a2700.galleryofferlist.0.0.38d4e2c1LU2TdS&s=p

I was surprised at the quality for the price, especially compared to BF. Keep in mind, the majority of your cost will be associated with the freight so your best bet is LCL; or a pallet shipped on the water, obviously air freight is out.

I'm not familiar with the UK fitness market, but I'd assume there would be solid ROI, and less saturation than the U.S.?

Most manufacturer's will white label or apply your logo free of charge especially if they see future potential. This is ideal for minimizing your overall risks, and allows you to test your market before committing at a level that may not be necessary off the bat. I understand your situation, along with the need to make something happen ASAP, but I encourage you take your time, and to consider sourcing your products from a manufacturer who offers white label/branding services + small MOQs.

I used to be in the freight/logistics industry and can refer you to a couple solid freight forwarder options if you want to shop rates for importing into the UK. If you can deal with the transit time of ocean freight, this may not be a bad move; and you may be able to negotiate a lower MOQ if you reach out to the manufacturers. I would have them quote you all in with freight, and shop a couple FF as well. Good luck to you!

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 26, 2020
USA
Hi Gareth, I know your post is a few months old, but I'd like to add some context if I may.

[Quick disclaimer: I'm neither an expert about patents nor an attorney. The following information is based on my own research, experience and observations.]

What you are/were doing appears to be the sale of a patented/trademarked product. Here in the States, the Courts generally seem to allow for the manufacture and sale of repair parts that extend the useful life of a product, as well as parts that enhance the usefulness of a product. Where they seem to draw the line is the wholesale replication of a patented product, and selling knockoffs.

As to whether Bowflex can stop the mass production of knockoffs...I imagine that depends on its patent rights in the country of manufacture. In this case, Bowflex/Nautilus and all of the knockoffs appear to be made in China at the moment. I've not researched the company's patents nor rights in China.

Can it stop the sale of these knockoffs elsewhere in the world? Again, it depends on its rights in the country of sale/resale. There are quite a few companies in China pumping out Bowflex knockoffs and those knockoffs find their way into markets around the world. Craigslist/Amazon/eBay here in the U.S. is filled with knockoffs. Importers are clearly able to get them into the country. Somehow, some way people learn of these imports, buy a couple dozen pairs at a time and sell them on eBay, Amazon and CL among other sites.

I wish I could help you out with UK specifics. Thing is....it doesn't matter whether Nautilus (the patent holder and Bowflex's parent company) can stop every instance of the manufacture/sale of copies. Fact is, if they were to send a cease and desist it doesn't sound like you'd be in a position financially to attempt to fight it. And you'd be unlikely to win even if you had the means to fight it. I think many of the people selling knockoffs simply do so hoping they're small enough that Nautilus won't waste time pursuing them.

Good luck over there. I hope things have begun to improve for you since your original post.

Last edited:

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
@Implacabilis I suggest you check to see if the product is patented in the UK or EU. Many people think that if a product is patented in the USA that covers the invention worldwide, but as I understand patent law (I am not giving legal advice) it only covers the invention in the USA.

As a matter of interest, I am surprised that the US patent was granted, because the patent application contains grammatical errors that could possibly make it unenforceable. To be certain on that matter you would need to consult a patent attorney in the US.

I have added numbers so that my comments below will be easy to relate to what @MrBounceBack has written.
1. Most manufacturer's will white label or apply your logo free of charge especially if they see future potential. This is ideal for minimizing your overall risks, and allows you to test your market before committing at a level that may not be necessary off the bat. I understand your situation, along with the need to make something happen ASAP, but 2, I encourage you take your time, and to consider sourcing your products from a manufacturer who offers white label/branding services + 3. small MOQs.

I used to be in the freight/logistics industry and can refer you to a couple solid freight forwarder options if you want to shop rates for importing into the UK. If you can deal with the transit time of ocean freight, this may not be a bad move; and you may be able to negotiate a lower MOQ if you reach out to the manufacturers. I would have them quote you all in with freight, and shop a couple FF as well. Good luck to you!
My comments:
That is quite correct.
2. Manufacturers who advertise that they will private label will attract many people who will automatically become your competitors, buying the identical product. The result is almost invariably a price war.
3. It is far better to source from manufacturers and negotiate orders for less than their MOQ. I have taught thousands of importers how to do that. See my AMA in the sticky threads at the top of the Inventing, Importing, Sourcing forum. .
4. Yes, sea freight is always a better option for heavy items. Make sure you get any quote from a freight forwarder in writing. You should ask for the quote to include all costs door to door, but remember although that will include their services in paying duty and VAT on your behalf, you will have to reimburse them for that before they will deliver to you. Don't even think of using a Chinese freight forwarder.

Walter

Last edited:

Lucky Lu

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Nov 2, 2019
Newport Beach, California
@Implacabilis I suggest you check to see if the product is patented in the UK or EU. Many people think that if a product is patented in the USA that covers the invention worldwide, but as I understand patent law (I am not giving legal advice) it only covers the invention in the USA.

As a matter of interest, I am surprised that the US patent was granted, because the patent application contains grammatical errors that could possibly make it unenforceable. To be certain on that matter you would need to consult a patent attorney in the US.
Absolutely on point as usual.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Product based businesses take time and reinvested capital to build.

If I was you, I'd consider trading time for money until you're in a position to pursue this venture. If you're low on cash, and that's the problem you're trying to solve, then drop shipping is not the best solution.

100% this.

I've launched a few product based businesses now and if I had to identify a "common denominator of failure" up to this point, it's been my inability to reinvest nearly 100% of profits back into the business and my inability to infuse the business with funds over and above what the company was producing on it's own.

In short, I would not start a new business without a solid source of additional income first.

Jamesl888

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 12, 2021

Gareth.

Hi Gareth,
All of the adjustable dumbbells you are selling are in breach of patent law. Both the Bowflex design and the others. If caught to be breaking the patents, you can be forced to stop selling and taken to court to recoup damages to the brands. This would be a significant amount. Good luck if you keep selling.

CoachTaff

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 27, 2021

Gareth.

Did you manage to solve this... has there been a patent infringement in the UK or does this only apply to the US... I'm interested because I may have a similar issue with a different type of product that I can't seem to find a patent for in the UK!

BTW website looks great

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.