The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Bouncing between ideas - Fear of success?

Idea threads

Crissco

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 3, 2015
New York
Hey guys, I have a problem that needs to be addressed now. I noticed this trend in me. For the past 2 years ive been a web developer, it all started when I came up with my crazy website ideas and started building them myself. At first my ideas sucked, then I did some research such as comparing the top websites to see what they have in common and so forth(I'm an extremely proficient researcher). Then I read MJ's book (About 2-3 months ago) and realized I was playing idea roulette. Not focusing on a need but just putting two things together to make something work because I thought it was "cool".

Granted, some of my ideas are great, even to this day looking back it's a "If i would of stuck with that it would/could of taken off by now". Fact is I think all my ideas are pretty damn good in their own way and with the correct marketing would "take off" to some degree to make income online.

Thats my problem, TOO MANY ideas...I even go as far as building it, but then there is something I can't build functionality wise then I give up and go to the next "big thing" and I lose motivation. I also suffer from the fear of success, knowing I CAN become a Millionaire quicker then most but I fear getting there. My reason living with my father and his money chasing jealous ways and not knowing the outcome of what people would think if all of a sudden "Hey Chris is rich and I busted my a$$ working a labor intensive job for years" - Given, I am probably thinking a bit out of reality here but it's there to some degree, I feel atleast). Anyway...

I'm sure there are people here are understand I mean. How did you guys push as this, any mental tricks to tips you can give me?

Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I also suffer from the fear of success, knowing I CAN become a Millionaire quicker then most but I fear getting there. My reason living with my father and his money chasing jealous ways and not knowing the outcome of what people would think if all of a sudden "Hey Chris is rich and I busted my a$$ working a labor intensive job for years"
Thats all F*cking bullshit and pretty messed up thinking. Fear of success, what the F*ck. Stop reading/watching motivational crap that talks about stuff like this. It obviously isnt doing you any good.

Just stop your mental masturbation about how great your ideas are and how everybody will envy you once you are a bazillionaire. Instead pick one of them and turn it from worthless (=idea) into something (=product) and then into something more (=business).

There are no tricks. Only process.

Last edited by a moderator:

Learner Guy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
May 10, 2015
Crissco, you need to introduce some discipline and start a process that will help you brainstorm ideas and then pick one and then EXECUTE it.

The Fastlane book is, of course, an ideal starting point and crystallises a lot of the best things I've learned from I hate to think how many other books as well as real life lessons.

I thought this looked interesting although I have not used it - it's from Quora but I can't find the original link:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2013/05/08/what-are-the-best-ways-to-think-of-ideas-for-a-startup/

oimate

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Jul 8, 2015
My reason living with my father and his money chasing jealous ways and not knowing the outcome of what people would think if all of a sudden "Hey Chris is rich and I busted my a$$ working a labor intensive job for years"

Seriously? Whilst I obviously dont know your dad- I am pretty sure that the reality is that he would be particularly proud of his son if you made a success/alot of money for yourself and your life.

The fact is jealousy is and always will be a part of life and there will always be others who are jealous/spiteful towards others whom they perceive have more or had a better break in life than them. However,surely is it not best to be the person that others can be jealous off as opposed to the other way around?

Like myself, you just need to stop making excuses or thinking of verbal/writted diarrhea such as 'fear of success'-How can you be fearful of something that as of yet you havent achieved?

You have one life so cut the crap and just get on with it!

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
Thats all F*cking bullshit and pretty messed up thinking. Fear of success, what the F*ck. Stop reading/watching motivational crap that talks about stuff like this. It obviously isnt doing you any good.

Just stop your mental masturbation about how great your ideas are and how everybody will envy you once you are a bazillionaire. Instead pick one of them and turn it from worthless (=idea) into something (=product) and then into something more (=business).

There are no tricks. Only process.
This is pretty spot on. You need to go and analyze your biggest asset, whether it's your website, school, or whatever, and build a process on making it better. A process on innovating, or improving what you already started. Stop giving up.

Also, analyze your biggest problems, do you have any debt, credit card payments, etc. There is much to do before you become a millionaire.

jason91

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 15, 2015
USA
Hey guys, I have a problem that needs to be addressed now. I noticed this trend in me. For the past 2 years ive been a web developer, it all started when I came up with my crazy website ideas and started building them myself. At first my ideas sucked, then I did some research such as comparing the top websites to see what they have in common and so forth(I'm an extremely proficient researcher). Then I read MJ's book (About 2-3 months ago) and realized I was playing idea roulette. Not focusing on a need but just putting two things together to make something work because I thought it was "cool".

Granted, some of my ideas are great, even to this day looking back it's a "If i would of stuck with that it would/could of taken off by now". Fact is I think all my ideas are pretty damn good in their own way and with the correct marketing would "take off" to some degree to make income online.

Thats my problem, TOO MANY ideas...I even go as far as building it, but then there is something I can't build functionality wise then I give up and go to the next "big thing" and I lose motivation. I also suffer from the fear of success, knowing I CAN become a Millionaire quicker then most but I fear getting there. My reason living with my father and his money chasing jealous ways and not knowing the outcome of what people would think if all of a sudden "Hey Chris is rich and I busted my a$$ working a labor intensive job for years" - Given, I am probably thinking a bit out of reality here but it's there to some degree, I feel atleast). Anyway...

I'm sure there are people here are understand I mean. How did you guys push as this, any mental tricks to tips you can give me?

Thanks
Stop thinking about it in an idealistic way, I used to have this problem and it caused me to run in circles without finding the real problem / solution. You are not the reason for failure, what you've DONE is the reason. Too many gurus say you need to be this or that to be successful, its a load of crap. What the truth is, certain characteristics make you more likely to take certain actions which bring a favorable result.

Each thing you do has a specific result. If you market on Facebook and target the wrong person for your product, it won't sell. The same way if you're stuck in your head, you don't do anything and obviously there is no result!

Look at the numbers, how many people have seen your product and purchased? How many people have NOT purchased? Drop all the senseless motivational crap, it doesn't lead to results. Specific actions that form a habit / process will lead to results. Then it's just about changing what you do to get the results you want. Stop thinking in circles and get feedback after you do something.

BaraQueenbee

tiny
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
Sep 14, 2015
Scottsdale, AZ
Hi Crissco!

First of all, I do applaud you for throwing it in here and hear what others people view is on this subject.

Disclaimer: I am no expert on nothing that has anything to do with psychology.
Reading it, I feel it has to do with (self) sabotage?
(I also see it with people who have lost weight, and then gained it and get in the "I know I can loose the weight, so I might as well just start next week. Getting stuck in that mindset for months).

"I know I can get rich faster than anyone else, so I dont have to start NOW".
Am I the only one thinking there IS a fear in there somewhere? Whether its "unworthyness" or other spiritual hippie terms. Self destructive behaviour can be a serious thing.

Although I agree with the 'you JUST have to shut up and discipline yourself", I do understand that may feel super far.
(but hey, maybe thats sabotage itself too).
Looking forward on what more ideas/tips/opinions people have on this topic.

Anyway, good luck/action/clarity to you!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.