The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Bought two websites, could use some help...

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Schonox

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
May 25, 2019
Hi everyone!

As a sidegig I decided to bid on a few websites and actually won two of them.
For some reason I have the feeling that if you don't pay much, you don't get much either.
Neither of them are really original content or templatewise. I am slowly adding some minor adjustments.

Still, I am wondering how I can better both sites. One thing I really want and need is some kind of affiliate/ad revenue stream coming in.

One of the sites is a platform through which I offer content writing services (the irony, yet I do think I can produce something, or at least outsource the case)
The other is a jewelry dropshipping business.

All Content Services

Diamond Rings Store

I am adding the social channels and buttons, adapting the services/products on offer, but i feel like i keep running into new walls all the time.

What would you recommend concerning these websites?

I'd love to hear your opinions.
Thank you beforehand!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
The jewellery site doesn't load, it just downloads a sketchy file...

giphy.gif

---------

As for the content one, you'd need to build a brand around it, niche down to an industry, specialize in that niche and offer high quality content for a premium to the people in that niche.

i.e oil sector, insurance, medical industry, legal industry ... that sort of stuff...

go into a niche where the people have lots of money, but hard to write for, then provide a service just for them. Be the brand everyone in X industry thinks of when they want to buy content.

Remember that the obstacle is the way.

Offer a monthly service maybe 4 x 1500 word posts per month (perfect for SEO) for $1500 per month.
Maybe 1 post for $500.
And other services that's relevant to them (copywriting services, email writing services etc.)

Then go and recruit top talent writers and pay them a awesome wage to write for you.

You're job is to generate sales (i.e the marketing & customer service ... you can eventually invest in funnels and hire an agency and backend customer support team to take care of that for you).
---------------

Anything short of that and you'll struggle because everyone and his grandmother is offering writing services.

Last edited:

George Appiah

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Aug 16, 2018
Accra, Ghana
As a sidegig I decided to bid on a few websites and actually won two of them.
For some reason I have the feeling that if you don't pay much, you don't get much either.
Neither of them are really original content or templatewise. I am slowly adding some minor adjustments.

To put things in perspective for you, what you essentially paid the $65 for this not-quite-2-weeks-old AllContentServices.com are the domain name and WordPress installation. Even here, considering the amount of work and time involved in transferring the domain name and website, this "investment" is probably in the negative from the get-go, compared with purchasing a domain name and installing WordPress yourself :smuggy:

As for the second site, I'm suspicious why a supposedly 10-year-old jewellery dropshipping business makes just about $200 in GROSS revenue (is this even from the dropshipping sales, or affiliate commissions and advertising?)... and why it got sold for less than a single month's NET income!

As for the content one, you'd need to build a brand around it, niche down to an industry, specialize in that niche and offer high quality content for a premium to the people in that niche.

i.e oil sector, insurance, medical industry, legal industry ... that sort of stuff...

go into a niche where the people have lots of money, but its not easy to write high quality content for those niches, then provide a service just for them. Be the brand everyone in X industry thinks about when they want to buy content.

And after you do all this niching-down, you may come to realize you're no more jiggy with the super-generic brand and domain AllContentServices.com -- the less-than-2-weeks-old starter site that you "won" at auction, being the sole sucker bidder.

Don't let this bog you down though: if you're pumped up about this industry, and after doing the niching-down as @100k adviced you come to realize you're uncomfortable with this super-generic domain name, consider the $65 a newbie tax and spend the extra $10 to get a more appropriate and befitting domain name.

This is just one of the many reasons I tell people to stay away from these so-called "starter sites". I feel doing so is putting the cart ahead of the horse... you skip all the soul-searching, market research and business planning that are critically important before you embark on any entrepreneurial venture.

Good luck, and stay blessed!

PS: I'm also having the second domain download a file instead of opening the page. There seems to be an issue with the PHP setup on the server (or the config for this specific virtual host) which is causing the WordPress index.php file to be downloaded.

Jeff Noel

Go all in.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada
I'm also having the second domain download a file instead of opening the page.
Which is highly frowned upon in today's world. It really surprised me and you're definitely losing 100% of customers from this site right now... which means the dude that sold it to you is probably a scammer that tried to make that website shine too much.

Also, the first website's monthly offer is not "free of spelling errors" ? It's a writing service, people don't want to deal with mistakes. They're paying so they don't have to bother correcting stuff.

Schonox

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
May 25, 2019

go into a niche where the people have lots of money, but hard to write for, then provide a service just for them. Be the brand everyone in X industry thinks of when they want to buy content.

Remember that the obstacle is the way.

Offer a monthly service maybe 4 x 1500 word posts per month (perfect for SEO) for $1500 per month.
Maybe 1 post for $500.
And other services that's relevant to them (copywriting services, email writing services etc.)

Then go and recruit top talent writers and pay them a awesome wage to write for you.

You're job is to generate sales (i.e the marketing & customer service ... you can eventually invest in funnels and hire an agency and backend customer support team to take care of that for you).
---------------

Anything short of that and you'll struggle because everyone and his grandmother is offering writing services.

True, very valuable information you provided. The resources I got with the site included 3 providers to which I could outsource the writing itself to.
I am not sure I would do that though as it would cut any profits short and I wouldn't control the quality provided.

To put things in perspective for you, what you essentially paid the $65 for this not-quite-2-weeks-old AllContentServices.com are the domain name and WordPress installation. Even here, considering the amount of work and time involved in transferring the domain name and website, this "investment" is probably in the negative from the get-go, compared with purchasing a domain name and installing WordPress yourself :smuggy:

As for the second site, I'm suspicious why a supposedly 10-year-old jewellery dropshipping business makes just about $200 in GROSS revenue (is this even from the dropshipping sales, or affiliate commissions and advertising?)... and why it got sold for less than a single month's NET income!

And after you do all this niching-down, you may come to realize you're no more jiggy with the super-generic brand and domain AllContentServices.com -- the less-than-2-weeks-old starter site that you "won" at auction, being the sole sucker bidder.

Don't let this bog you down though: if you're pumped up about this industry, and after doing the niching-down as @100k adviced you come to realize you're uncomfortable with this super-generic domain name, consider the $65 a newbie tax and spend the extra $10 to get a more appropriate and befitting domain name.

This is just one of the many reasons I tell people to stay away from these so-called "starter sites". I feel doing so is putting the cart ahead of the horse... you skip all the soul-searching, market research and business planning that are critically important before you embark on any entrepreneurial venture.

PS: I'm also having the second domain download a file instead of opening the page. There seems to be an issue with the PHP setup on the server (or the config for this specific virtual host) which is causing the WordPress index.php file to be downloaded.

Big thumbs up for this post George! I do have to say I'm indeed new to all this and if it all fails, so be it.
Main thing is that I learn from the experience! I agree it's a really generic domain name, but it's a .com name and I guess it's not worthless either?
The jewelry store was ofc a big scam, I kinda knew up front. Still, the dropship workings made me curious. Looking back end it has 1 (1!!) cancelled (!) order back in December 2018.
I disagree about the soul searching, business planning and market research part though.
I personally look at what I am selling, if it's valuable and if I can add value to a product that's already selling. Taking action is worth more from my pov than overthinking things.
If you try 10 times and fail 9 times, that's allright. You only need 1 homerun. And you can always change things as you go.

Which is highly frowned upon in today's world. It really surprised me and you're definitely losing 100% of customers from this site right now... which means the dude that sold it to you is probably a scammer that tried to make that website shine too much.

Also, the first website's monthly offer is not "free of spelling errors" ? It's a writing service, people don't want to deal with mistakes. They're paying so they don't have to bother correcting stuff.

Yeah I agree... That's why I am wondering : would you guys consider rebuilding 1 or both of these sites from the ground up?
Considering the jewelry, I have some precious gems (diamonds, sapphires etc) I'd be willing to sell myself (One of these has a worth of a bit more than $100.000).
However the domain name doesn't fit that purpose, or i should contact some suppliers who can set these gems in jewelry?
I am kind of doubting the method how I should sell these. Through own website or as I was planning by contacting a list of firms myself ? I used to work at the AWDC.
Jeff, while I agree, I would like to make the point that to me personally there's a difference between social media posts and web content, e-book content and furthermore.
I would even go so far that a few well-placed spelling errors could benefit some social media posts. Just think about the many dialects there are.

Entre Eyes

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 7, 2019
Traveling to Higher Conciousness

Would love to PDF my life and have you break it down for me! :)

You Are Gifted My Friend.

* There is one Flippa seller in particular that has a strategy to get starter sites earning quickly via influencers right out the gate.

Last edited:

Hazelnut

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Sep 3, 2019
I recommend starting from scratch. The websites are gonna need such a big overhaul that it doesn’t make sense to go through all of that. Both ideas sound great but the websites themselves aren’t worth the time imo

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.