The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Bootstrapping by living at work?

Iqen

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Oct 28, 2011
Hi all,

Just curious if anyone here has lived at their workplace at some stage of their business's development.

At this point I'm thinking why not? I haven't taken a day off in at least a year and I'm a minimalist anyways. It wouldn't even feel like a compromise really as long as I could figure out a way to rig up a shower. The kitchen stuff is all set since I eat a healthy lacto-vegan diet and don't need any cooking appliances except my pressure cooker and blender.

I'm mainly concerned about getting caught by someone. I'd be staying in a small warehouse (I'm launching an e-commerce store)

Thanks for any insights and experiences!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

damien275x

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 18, 2011
Move in with your parents or sleep in their backyard or something.
Or live out of a car.
I dunno....... I'm a minimalist too. I'm still at home giving myself 1 year to either get rich :) Is so hard with living expenses!

Iqen

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Oct 28, 2011
Why would you rather live out of a car? Seems a horrible way to live compared to all the amenities a stealth living space in an office could provide :)

ZDS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 2, 2008
You.. uh.. can't bring anyone back to the office? Makes it hard to have a social life?

Jacobfk1

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Nov 1, 2011
Georgia
I say do it. What's the worst that could happen? You get caught and the city says you can't keep living there... so you saved whatever expenses you would have had during that time. Not like they are going to lock you up (right?)

77startup

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 4, 2011
Chicago
Hi all,

I'm mainly concerned about getting caught by someone. I'd be staying in a small warehouse (I'm launching an e-commerce store)

Thanks for any insights and experiences!

Anytime the bolded becomes a concern that's natures way of telling you it will not end will with time. I admire your passion but this doesn't sound like a good idea.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
A couple of questions:

1. Afraid of getting caught by whom? The city? Your boss? The cops? Who?

2. Lacto Vegan diet? What does this consist of? I've heard of lacto vegetarian and vegan, but never lacto vegan. Just wanting to know how you classify the difference as that's a new one for me. :)

Iqen

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Oct 28, 2011
Hi,

1. I'm afraid of being caught by the landlord and facing eviction. If I have to relocate a warehouse on short notice, it could cause a major hiccup for the business. I'm also slightly worried about potential tax consequences. If the IRS finds out that your home office space was actually mixed use, including using the computer for non-work purposes, I've read it creates quite a problem. Living in a commercial space may create a similar issue.

2. Lacto-vegan diets are vegan except they allow for dairy. I eat non-fat plain yogurt for the Vitamin B12. I'm not a strict/ethical vegan and will break the diet when I'm forced to eat out by circumstance, which is rare.

Overall the risk seems low so I will probably do it if I can find a good place. It will actually not be that different from my current situation since I work from home. I'll just have a larger space and more business minded neighbors :)

garyfritz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 16, 2011
Colorado
Does your lease prohibit uses like this, or do local ordinances? If not, I would think your landlord would have no legal grounds to evict you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.