The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Books of the Highest Calibre

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
The one thing that unites every poster on this forum is our love of the iconic book: The Millionaire Fastlane . One of the tenets of the book is the concept of continuous education, in many ways, our education begins when we leave school. We are here to share our knowledge, our achievements, our success, in the hope of inspiring others and picking up critical feedback to continue to pursue our objectives.

What I've noticed is that I have developed a particular taste for art. I can intuitively tell by the theme of any body of work to recognize the core values that it is designed with. Ayn Rand aptly describes this with The Romantic Manifesto:

Rand asserts that one cannot create art without infusing a given work with one's own value judgments and personal philosophy.

Although TMF is not a novel, its author undoubtably infused the book with his personality, his values, his vision of reality. More importantly than the actual lessons, was the theme, one that refuses to accept compromising, one that won't sell itself short, for anything.

There was a time when I would spend reading books that opposed my primary sense of life, un-romantic ones -- if you will -- only to strengthen my arguments. To find the holes that unravel the entire body of work. Nowadays I'm exclusively interested in reading only romantic literature, to help push me further alongside my pursuit of my ambitions. Here's a few of the books, TMF and Ayn Rand aside, that carry this powerful romantic spirit and inspire to push harder than ever before:

Relentless: From Good to Great to Unstoppable by Tim Grover. Here's a self-made man who shares the inside story on the world of the highest calibre of athletes. His rational approach, while also fearless, brought him untold success and loyal respect. He gives insights into his philosophy on excellence, and the work ethic and drive it takes to get there. He doesn't bother discussing slowlaners and sidewalkers. He breaks down Fastlaners by their speed. He calls the fastest of the fastlaners "Cleaners". Romantic and personal, here's a book you simply can't ignore or debate with.

Zero to One by Peter Thiel. Another self-made man who speaks from experience, and one who happens to be the right touches of poetic and philosophical, while being extremely pragmatic. His perspective on seeing whats hidden in plain sight, sharing his investment philosophy while opposing the typical approach, and discussions on vertical scaling, instead of a horizontal, makes for all around legendary reading. Both refreshing and insightful, it comes highly recommended.

The Hard Thing About Hard Things by Ben Horowitz. More stories in the trenches from those executing first-hand, this one gives a unique perspective into the decision making one is forced into in such a shaky position as a CEO and cofounder. He has almost nothing to base his decisions on, yet he managed to do phenomenally well and shares firsthand the challenges he faced, and the mindset that carried him through those obstacles. If you plan to run your own company, Ben offers superb suggestions on hiring, culture, and making the Hard Decisions.

Mastery by Robert Greene. Both Thiel and Robert draw upon the conclusion of Malcom Gladwell in Outliers, though the latter only does so indirectly. While Gladwell is an unromantic author, he does offer a powerful assertion: 10 000 hours into a craft is roughly the amount of time it takes to achieve expertise. Robert takes this notion, and turns it into something beautiful. He draws on the biographies of some truly exceptional people and demonstrates how their commitment ("Cleaners", Tim Grover would call them), and openness to growth and learning about their environment, and themselves in the process, put them in unique situations to take their crafts to a level of mastery that revolutionized their respective fields ever since.

What we have here is a combination of fearlessness, commitment to excellency, and the refusal to settle. Core attributes of any entrepreneur worth his/her salt.

The romantic spirit of these books is incredibly addicting. The Romantic Manifesto describes art as a type of food for the soul, something we need to spiritually eat, to give us fuel and energy to keep going for the future we want to build for ourselves. Like an athlete with a strict diet designed for explosive performance, so we must consciously dictate what soul foods we consume, and for the same purpose: total focus on the vision.

What romantic books have you read that have impacted you permanently?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

DaveC

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Oct 15, 2012
Chicago, IL
The Four Hour Work Week
How to Win Friends and Influence People
How to Stop Worrying and Start Living

MooreMillions

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 16, 2008
Atlanta
I have literally read an entire library business section of books on economics, marketing, and finance, so I really and truly can't even begin, but let me share what stands out.

No matter how advanced I become, I must pay homage to the foundation: the first 3 Rich Dad Poor Dad books written. That put the light bulb in and cracked the mold.

Die Broke by Richard M. Pollan is just a solid read about how money works on a macro into micro level. It's long, but if you are serious it's worth it.

The Alchemy of Finance by George Soros...let me tell you, anybody that can make a billion dollars in one day, you need to sit in front of library now, wait for the library to open, and be the first to check it out. He speaks of a oneness or a synergy you develop when dealing with markets, calm or volatile. Any book of his is a very cerebral read. You need no distractions if your really want to benefit from.

I will leave you with this last one: Automatic Wealth by Michael Masterson. If you are seeking straight forward, no frills/no thrills, bare bones advice on how to control your mind, to control your time, so you can control your day and start a business as economically as possible, this book is it. It's just no bullsh!t

When I have time, and I can think of a handful of more titles, I will add.

John Glazer

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Apr 29, 2016
I've read maybe 30 books since my entrepreneurial spirit woke up a couple of years ago, and TMF is the most realistic and useful of all IMHO. Also the only book that shows a model to follow for success. Most books just recount how they were good entrepreneurs and how they made it happen and how it's easy now.

I think the important thing to understand is that one should be reading all the time, to get a feel of the zeitgeist of today's entrepreneurship. Stories, tips, tricks, POVs, strategies, psychology of it all). That being said, in no particular order are my favorites right now, that push me towards excellence.

I really loved Choose Yourself by James Altucher. This guys is so honest it hurts. "Become an idea machine!!!"

I really enjoy Seth Godin's books. Really good motivator. Some people don't like his ADHD manner of writing, but I like that. The Icarus Deception, All marketers are liars, Tribes are my favorite. Once you read a few books you get a sense of what Seth is about though, and it's all pretty much the same. "Make Art!"

Of course Tim Ferriss' 4HWW is a good read, very practical stuff, but only once you're already rich and can't handle your workload. Also, his "New Rich" concept is something that's very important to understand, and I've been applying since day 1 of my first full time job, where I asked my boss for a 3 month vacation right away LOL. Still do take 3 months vacation every year from my 9-5 job. Still worth it, and his podcast is fantastic as well.

Untethered Soul
. For advanced humans only though.

Less romantic but useful are:

The 100$ Startup
is great for those that think you need to get indebted to go into business.

E-Myth Revisited
is a must as well to understand you have to work ON your business and not IN your business.

conquer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
327%
Apr 30, 2016
What every body is saying - Joe Navarro
*Great book that teaches you how to read people which is always beneficial in the business world.

The power of charm - Brian Tracy
*Learn how to charm others, great tool for life. It really highlights the importance of listening and providing undivided attention to people when they talk.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.