The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Books about changing eating habits

tonyf7

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Oct 27, 2016
Arkansas
My biggest challenge with health and fitness is food. I lose most of battles at the grocery store and when I go out to eat. I know there is no magic switch to flip that will turn me into Fabio, but I'm hoping there are some books out there that can help me change the way I think about food.

I want to stop craving sweets and stop being slave to my taste buds who only care about what's tastes the sweetest or saltiest.

What am I missing?

Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mike24601

Consumption Bear
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
You crave sweet and salty foods because they are addictive, just like cigarettes and cocaine and alcohol. If I eat a piece of cake, I am prone to a psychotic break where I will end up eating the whole cake, too. Right now I consume virtually no sugar other than a few carbs, and I did it by eliminating it from my diet and having enough willpower to get through roughly a week of cravings before I suddenly didn't want it anymore. Instead of soda, I drink flavored sparkling water, and for dessert I eat super dark chocolate (85% cacao or greater) which satisfies me a lot, or have a strong iced coffee with some stevia mixed in. With entrepreneurship come tests of willpower greater than the choice between donuts and kale at the supermarket. Sugar is by far one of the most unhealthy substances on earth. It is a root cause of most health issues including cancer, diabetes, and heart disease. It is literally poison, and most people don't know they're sick because they've been ill all their lives.

Rosie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 14, 2017
United Kingdom
My biggest challenge with health and fitness is food. I lose most of battles at the grocery store and when I go out to eat. I know there is no magic switch to flip that will turn me into Fabio, but I'm hoping there are some books out there that can help me change the way I think about food.

I want to stop craving sweets and stop being slave to my taste buds who only care about what's tastes the sweetest or saltiest.

What am I missing?

Any suggestions?

I feel you! I am only part way through it but The End of Dieting is good by Joel Fuhrman. Also second How Not To Die - Michael Greger is awesome. I've not seen it but apparently the doco Forks Over Knives is an eye-opener too.

tonyf7

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Oct 27, 2016
Arkansas
Surround yourself with hot girls.
Funny you say that. I used to live in a big city where most people were fit and healthy looking. I was about 25 lbs lighter back then. Then I moved to the south where everyone is fat and now here I am. Not blaming my circumstances, but also acknowledging how much of an impact your surroundings can have.

fxmm

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Apr 2, 2017
SE Asia
the power of our environment.

get your a$$ in gear and get training! woooo

Funny you say that. I used to live in a big city where most people were fit and healthy looking. I was about 25 lbs lighter back then. Then I moved to the south where everyone is fat and now here I am. Not blaming my circumstances, but also acknowledging how much of an impact your surroundings can have.

waveman

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 3, 2017
South Africa
My best recommendation is Eat Stop Eat by Brad Pilon. It's a lot more merciful than most eating plans in terms of what you can and can't eat, but you have to get into the habit of it first. It revolves around fasting, and he does get into concerns you may have (blood sugar levels, muscle retention, etc).

tiagosoares17.22

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Aug 5, 2017
Porto, Portugal
If your goal is habit changing you should read the book "The Power of Habit" from Charles Duhigg.
And if you want to understand how and why processed food is so addictive, you can read "Salt, Sugar, Fat" by Michael Moss - this won't be an enjoyable read for most of you, however you can always skip through what is not so interesting for you.

I have videos on YouTube talking about how to change habits around health and also talking about the book from Michael Moss.

What I can tell you is that you need to think WHY you want to eat better, exercise and having a healthier lifestyle. From there, you can start by implementing a few changes in your diet/routine. For most people I advise starting with a change in the breakfast. Start small and build on top of other habits.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago

What am I missing?

Any suggestions?

You're soft and weak, because you have conditioned yourself to live this way.

A soldier does not have your luxuries.

Don't let your tongue enslave you to a life of unhealthy eating, a pot belly and a weak pudginess that makes you look like a the Pillsbury Dough Boy.

When you take your shirt off, do you want women to run to you... or run away?

Find something to inspire you to take care of your physique as if you actually give a F*ck about yourself, and use this reason or cause to spur you through every workout, and every meal absent of bad food.

No one said it was going to be easy.

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
Another good book is "It Starts With Food" which is written by the designers of Whole30. Also, watch the documentary called "Forks Over Knives" and "That Sugar Film."

For about a year I was struggling with a major sugar addiction. I would get tired at work and then start binging on sweets, candies, pastries, etc. I'd get home and make dinner and while I was making dinner I was eating junk. I was going after the sugar rush trying to wake up.

Then, somewhere I read that chocolate cravings could be a sign of a magnesium deficiency. I bought a supplement called ZMA, which is Zinc, Magnesium, and (whatever the A stands for). I read it helps you sleep as well. At the same time, I decided enough was enough and it was time to start tracking my calories to lose weight AND I bought a road bike to start training for a triathlon.

Within a day, I was getting into a deeper sleep and I had ZERO cravings for sugar. I could walk by the pastries and junk food and finally feel in control of deciding on whether or not I wanted to eat them. I've already lost 6-7lbs in about 3 weeks. The sleep has been great too with some odd dreams, but to me, dreaming means I'm in a deep sleep.

I recommend trying the ZMA. And, honestly, you have to make a decision to stop. You can't say, "Maybe I'll stop," or, "I should stop eating sugar." You have to say, "I will stop," "I will only eat healthier foods," "I am not a junk food eater." Don't give your brain an opportunity to talk you out of it. Saying anything like "I want to stop...," or "I should stop..." means you aren't fully committed and it leaves you room to keep eating.

Philip Marlowe

Every Day On, No Days Off
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 28, 2017
NE
Paraphrasing Ronnie Coleman here I think but: "Everyone want to be a body builder, but no one want to lift no heavy a$$ weights".

Seriously - call it what it is. @Ubermensch nailed it.

I've never shared this because it's likely thought of as pretty weird, but I go all White Goodman on myself mentally and call myself out for even thinking about eating crappy food. Now, I don't have a delicate psyche and if you do maybe it's not right, but I love it.

When I'm at the grocery store it's like a contest to see if I can put healthier food on the belt than the person in front or in back of me. And I (now) always win, and more often than not I'm mortified at what I see people putting in their bodies.

If all else fails and you're really tempted, grab a handful of your stomach fat, look down at it, and give it a good shake. That should do it... (This works on your turkey neck in the mirror as well)

-PM

P.S. - Don't buy another book. The content you need is right here in this post, and more will come. Workout 4-5 times a week until you break a sweat and then keep that up for 20 minutes, eat lots of protein and vegetables, and mind your refined sugars. That's it. I lost 50 pounds that way. Foods I used to crave taste awful and artificial.

P.P.S - If you want to know if you're eating healthy food at home, see how often you take out the trash. When I was fat and lazy, my trash was full of wrappers from processed foods. Nothing to rot. When I got healthy, suddenly my trash was full of orange peels, veggies, and pieces of chicken and steak. Again, a little weird, but made sense when I realized what had happened.

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
"I'm hoping there are some books out there that can help me change the way I think about food."

Don't waste your time reading. It's simple. Eat real food. Do not eat processed food.

Eating too much food is how you get fat. Eating less food is how you lose fat.

Live by the rule of 80% clean foods, 20% dirty.

You should have no weight problems by following these guidelines.

Since you wanted to read something, be sure to check out these articles:

The Truth About Dieting (Video) - John Doe Bodybuilding
How To Stay Lean - Bold and Determined

G

Guest24480

Eating healthy food is just one aspect of it. You could be losing weight and eating relatively healthy but still feel horrible because you're not getting the nutrients your body needs to function properly. If you've been binging on sugar, sweets, and alcohol for years you're bound to have a whole host of deficiencies that can throw your hormones out of whack and quite literally diminish your ability to function at 100% of your mental capacity. Another big thing to look out for is the brain-gut connection. Oftentimes, lethargy, fatigue, anxiety, and other mental health issues can be traced back to a lack of balance in the gut flora, especially with doctors prescribing antibiotics left and right these days.

My advice would be to start researching nutrition and how it affects the mind/body, then set up a personalized plan to tackle your deficiencies. Cut out alcohol completely, severely limit your sugar intake, and try to limit consumption of simple carbohydrates like pasta or bread. Start paying attention to what you're eating and how it affects you both physically and mentally, then eliminate foods as needed. Get a nutritional test to see if you're deficient in anything (Vitamin D is a big one due to the sedentary office lifestyle). Also, look into supplementation, like a quality multi-vitamin to help you get the nutrients you need every day (shouldn't replace a healthy diet), probiotics to re-populate your gut with healthy bacteria, and whatever else you may not get enough of from your diet.

McFirewavesJr

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
263%
Sep 27, 2015
Las Vegas, NV

What am I missing?

Any suggestions?

Former fatty now pro bodybuilder / fitness model here. No one can help you with this but yourself. It's exactly the same as someone who "wants" to quit smoking.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zssdsucRlns

Also, if it can make you feel better, craving stop and junk food tastes like cardboard if you stay away from it long enough.

McFirewavesJr

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
263%
Sep 27, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
Definitely makes a difference. Health and fitness is not 1h per day, it's 24/7 in your small choices, and your environment influences a lot those small daily decisions.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
"I'm hoping there are some books out there that can help me change the way I think about food."

Don't waste your time reading. It's simple. Eat real food. Do not eat processed food.

Eating too much food is how you get fat. Eating less food is how you lose fat.

Live by the rule of 80% clean foods, 20% dirty.

You should have no weight problems by following these guidelines.

Since you wanted to read something, be sure to check out these articles:

The Truth About Dieting (Video) - John Doe Bodybuilding
How To Stay Lean - Bold and Determined

Brah, do you even lift?

@Amon
@ChasingPaper
@S&P

jvitale31

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 1, 2017
Detroit, MI

What am I missing?

Any suggestions?

I'd suggest going out and getting a copy of Head Strong by Dave Asprey. Seeing that this is an entrepreneurship forum, I think that this book would give a compelling reason enough for you to want to eat healthy just based on the performance benefits that can help you succeed in business. I have always felt that I eat relatively healthy, but this book as well as Asprey's other book, The Bulletproof Diet, have helped me scrutinize every decision I make about what I choose to consume and fuel my body with.
Hopefully, this can be of some help!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.