The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Book Recommendations for Financial Literacy?

Anything related to investing, including crypto

Martzee

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Oct 6, 2020
Denver, Colorado, United States
What are some of the best books out there to get financially literate?.
That is a very broad question to answer. Are you looking for budgeting, saving, investing, trading, accounting, economy, personal finance...?

You can start with the "dummies" series, if you want, for example: "Managing Your Money All-in-One For Dummies" or "Personal Finance in Your 20s and 30s for Dummies". Some basic books on investing "The Little Book of Common Sense Investing: The Only Way to Guarantee Your Fair Share of Stock Market Returns, 10th Anniversary"... etc., as you keep reading you will be finding more and more resources and get into more sophisticated books detailing whatever you are interested in.

RealDreams

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jun 22, 2018
I started learning finance on my own. Currently reading "How Finance Works" by Mihir Desai.
Does anyone know any good, renowned book on finance/corporate finance that explains from scratch everything there is to know?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
That's funny dude. Just wanna let you know it's 2021

IeQIjyo.gif

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Investopedia is a great free resource.

For finance, in general, I think I would want to take some kind of course. Try the big online course things.

Coursera and Udemy.

You can also kind of learn it from osmosis by watching CNBC for a year... but then you'll risk being a permanent bull on everything ever too.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
I started learning finance on my own. Currently reading "How Finance Works" by Mihir Desai.
Does anyone know any good, renowned book on finance/corporate finance that explains from scratch everything there is to know?
Many years back there are youtube videos made by khan academy and mbabullshits.

Not sure if there are still there.

Classical Finance revolve around two concepts

1) Time value of money. A dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow, because in theory it can get me interest. This forms the basis on how to value investment based on future discounted cash flows.

2) There is no free lunch. High return comes from higher risk. You cannot outsmart the market significantly by picking investment because if there is, someone will have done it and diluted the expected return. Hence you have capm model and efficient market hypothesis.

More fashionable modern finance theory focus on things that have not been covered.

1) Behavioral Bias, for example people have loss aversion.

2) Institutional Framework- how existing accounting rules and framework affect our actions. You can google on financial crisis and liquidity crisis.

G3ric

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Dec 2, 2020
That is a very broad question to answer. Are you looking for budgeting, saving, investing, trading, accounting, economy, personal finance...?

You can start with the "dummies" series, if you want, for example: "Managing Your Money All-in-One For Dummies" or "Personal Finance in Your 20s and 30s for Dummies". Some basic books on investing "The Little Book of Common Sense Investing: The Only Way to Guarantee Your Fair Share of Stock Market Returns, 10th Anniversary"... etc., as you keep reading you will be finding more and more resources and get into more sophisticated books detailing whatever you are interested in.
Thanks for the recommendations, I’ll definitely look into them

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Anything by Ray Dalio.

Agora Finance's regular emails (they send you multiple emails though...George Gilder, Money & Crisis, Daily Reckoning...and they somehow keep talking about buying gold these days lol).

The emails will have you look at everything, from treasury bills, to money-printing (and some coverage of why COVID testing and data is out of whack), weaknesses in fiscal policy, Keynesian vs Austrian, economic indicators (eg using food price indices to spot for inflation)...you will learn lots reading from them although they do sell their products in the emails.

For a quick rundown of finance and investing as taught by William Ackman
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEDIj9JBTC8

You can also go to Seeking Alpha to check on commentaries of stock, macro or others.
Take everything with a pinch of salt though...sometimes the finance articles there are out of whack.
I don't have particular favourite authors on SA though...I just read whatever catches my fancy.

I've found that its better to read finance stuff on a daily basis, since finance is always moving and growing.
A book won't 100% cut it.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
There were two threads on this subject which are now merged.

Tom H.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Dec 13, 2019
Jaco, Costa Rica
Financial Intelligence For Entrepreneurs, I linked to it here:

Also, the book Accounting Made Simple is pretty good for basics like double-entry, GAAP, and standard financial statements.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Investopedia is good enough.

Please SEARCH before posting.