The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Book Recommendations for Financial Literacy?

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

G3ric

New Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Dec 2, 2020
What are some of the best books out there to get financially literate?.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Martzee

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Oct 6, 2020
Denver, Colorado, United States
What are some of the best books out there to get financially literate?.
That is a very broad question to answer. Are you looking for budgeting, saving, investing, trading, accounting, economy, personal finance...?

You can start with the "dummies" series, if you want, for example: "Managing Your Money All-in-One For Dummies" or "Personal Finance in Your 20s and 30s for Dummies". Some basic books on investing "The Little Book of Common Sense Investing: The Only Way to Guarantee Your Fair Share of Stock Market Returns, 10th Anniversary"... etc., as you keep reading you will be finding more and more resources and get into more sophisticated books detailing whatever you are interested in.

VicFountain

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 22, 2018
I started learning finance on my own. Currently reading "How Finance Works" by Mihir Desai.
Does anyone know any good, renowned book on finance/corporate finance that explains from scratch everything there is to know?

Raoul Duke

I am a JEDI, like my father before me.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Feb 26, 2016
That's funny dude. Just wanna let you know it's 2021

Kak

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jan 23, 2011
Investopedia is a great free resource.

For finance, in general, I think I would want to take some kind of course. Try the big online course things.

Coursera and Udemy.

You can also kind of learn it from osmosis by watching CNBC for a year... but then you'll risk being a permanent bull on everything ever too.

Kevin88660

Gold Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
I started learning finance on my own. Currently reading "How Finance Works" by Mihir Desai.
Does anyone know any good, renowned book on finance/corporate finance that explains from scratch everything there is to know?
Many years back there are youtube videos made by khan academy and mbabullshits.

Not sure if there are still there.

Classical Finance revolve around two concepts

1) Time value of money. A dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow, because in theory it can get me interest. This forms the basis on how to value investment based on future discounted cash flows.

2) There is no free lunch. High return comes from higher risk. You cannot outsmart the market significantly by picking investment because if there is, someone will have done it and diluted the expected return. Hence you have capm model and efficient market hypothesis.

More fashionable modern finance theory focus on things that have not been covered.

1) Behavioral Bias, for example people have loss aversion.

2) Institutional Framework- how existing accounting rules and framework affect our actions. You can google on financial crisis and liquidity crisis.

G3ric

New Contributor
Dec 2, 2020
That is a very broad question to answer. Are you looking for budgeting, saving, investing, trading, accounting, economy, personal finance...?

You can start with the "dummies" series, if you want, for example: "Managing Your Money All-in-One For Dummies" or "Personal Finance in Your 20s and 30s for Dummies". Some basic books on investing "The Little Book of Common Sense Investing: The Only Way to Guarantee Your Fair Share of Stock Market Returns, 10th Anniversary"... etc., as you keep reading you will be finding more and more resources and get into more sophisticated books detailing whatever you are interested in.
Thanks for the recommendations, I’ll definitely look into them

ZF Lee

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Anything by Ray Dalio.

Agora Finance's regular emails (they send you multiple emails though...George Gilder, Money & Crisis, Daily Reckoning...and they somehow keep talking about buying gold these days lol).

The emails will have you look at everything, from treasury bills, to money-printing (and some coverage of why COVID testing and data is out of whack), weaknesses in fiscal policy, Keynesian vs Austrian, economic indicators (eg using food price indices to spot for inflation)...you will learn lots reading from them although they do sell their products in the emails.

For a quick rundown of finance and investing as taught by William Ackman
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEDIj9JBTC8

You can also go to Seeking Alpha to check on commentaries of stock, macro or others.
Take everything with a pinch of salt though...sometimes the finance articles there are out of whack.
I don't have particular favourite authors on SA though...I just read whatever catches my fancy.

I've found that its better to read finance stuff on a daily basis, since finance is always moving and growing.
A book won't 100% cut it.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
There were two threads on this subject which are now merged.

mon_fi

Gold Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 3, 2020
Brussels
For courses, look at EDX. They are free (most of them) and from top world universities.

Tom H.

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2019
Jaco, Costa Rica
Financial Intelligence For Entrepreneurs, I linked to it here:

Also, the book Accounting Made Simple is pretty good for basics like double-entry, GAAP, and standard financial statements.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
I thought I would post up the first video from the newest 2021 program content... Just a...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
I have not offered one of these in a while, but it looks like I have time to take on an...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Hi Andreas, It is per month, with the first month being half. This is a great question, I...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Hi Lex, I looked at several options including Kajabi and settled on the Divi theme on Wordpress...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Are you looking for a new, lesser-known but potentially very lucrative source of leads to your...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
The story is BASED UPON a true story. The details aren't entirely accurate or from a distinct...

Forum Sponsor

Grow an online business:
- Start immediately!
- Master business skills!
- 100+ Fastlane students enrolled!
Review & Details >

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers