The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Blog Setup and recommendations

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
I am interested in starting my own blog. I already own my own website for it. bilgefisher.com (who would have guessed that one). I was just wondering if any has any recommendations on setup and places that you can find those setups.

Also any recommended blogs out there, no matter the subject.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

rlucas

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Nov 5, 2007
Define blog...Like a website that acts like a journal of yours or what? If this is the case I would look into vBulletin @ http://www.vbulletin.com/. Don't know if this is exactly what you are looking for but its a start...

Ryan

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
Define blog...Like a website that acts like a journal of yours or what? If this is the case I would look into vBulletin @ http://www.vbulletin.com/. Don't know if this is exactly what you are looking for but its a start...

Ryan
For the most part an open journal. I want to be able to share my experience on my first few deals and also be able to go back and see my progress, note my mistakes, and establish my goals.

I think it will be a mix between sharing knowledge and noting my progress.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
I run a WordPress blog setup service, you can PM me for more details.

If you want to blog WordPress is the way to go because there a so many open source plugins and themes being developed for it, and a huge community of users sharing information that you will have a big advantage over any other blogging application.

rlucas

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Nov 5, 2007
Well than vBulletin probably isn't the best choice I would say. The reason is that it's more catering towards a community of people.

To be honest I would just learn a little bit of html and try to make the site yourself. It really wouldn't be too hard to put together. If you need some help or want me to look at some of your code I'd be more than happy to help.

If you can explain in a little more detail what it is you are really looking I can get you going in the right direction.

Ryan

rlucas

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Nov 5, 2007
I run a WordPress blog setup service, you can PM me for more details.

If you want to blog WordPress is the way to go because there a so many open source plugins and themes being developed for it, and a huge community of users sharing information that you will have a big advantage over any other blogging application.

This software looks quite promising...I'm just not too sure if your web host will support it. Are you able to just load up the software as like a php script to the web server?

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
http://wordpress.org/

seems to have everything I will need to setup a blog. Thanks for the tidbit. Still trying to find some example layouts of it.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Wordpress is the way to go. You just need an SQL database. It's real easy to setup and configure and has tons of templates and plugins.

Wordpress is power enough to run a mini ecommerce store from it. Once you learn how to use its pages and posts you can just about set up a site on anything with it.

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
First I would check if your hosting doesnt provide a one click install on wordpress. Most hosting companies offer this.

Second I would search for a nice theme for your blog, check here, and here for example.

Finally I would find the plugins to make my life easier, this are the ones I love (Wordpress prior to 2.3, don't know now since I didn't upgraded yet):

-Akismet (Anti-comment spam)
-All in one SEO Pack (Helps with search engines)
-Embedded-Video (For YouTube, Google Video, etc)
-Share This (Lets your readers bookmark entries)

Good Luck!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.