• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

OFF-TOPIC Blog Setup and recommendations

Discussion in 'Off Topic: Sports, Funnies, Pop-Culture' started by Bilgefisher, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Bilgefisher

Bilgefisher Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $408
    I am interested in starting my own blog. I already own my own website for it. bilgefisher.com (who would have guessed that one). I was just wondering if any has any recommendations on setup and places that you can find those setups.

Also any recommended blogs out there, no matter the subject.

2. rlucas

rlucas New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $9
    Define blog...Like a website that acts like a journal of yours or what? If this is the case I would look into vBulletin @ http://www.vbulletin.com/. Don't know if this is exactly what you are looking for but its a start...

Ryan

3. Bilgefisher

Rep Bank:
    $408
    For the most part an open journal. I want to be able to share my experience on my first few deals and also be able to go back and see my progress, note my mistakes, and establish my goals.

I think it will be a mix between sharing knowledge and noting my progress.

4. Jonleehacker

Jonleehacker Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,078
    I run a WordPress blog setup service, you can PM me for more details.

If you want to blog WordPress is the way to go because there a so many open source plugins and themes being developed for it, and a huge community of users sharing information that you will have a big advantage over any other blogging application.

5. rlucas

rlucas New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $9
    Well than vBulletin probably isn't the best choice I would say. The reason is that it's more catering towards a community of people.

To be honest I would just learn a little bit of html and try to make the site yourself. It really wouldn't be too hard to put together. If you need some help or want me to look at some of your code I'd be more than happy to help.

If you can explain in a little more detail what it is you are really looking I can get you going in the right direction.

Ryan

6. rlucas

rlucas New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $9
    This software looks quite promising...I'm just not too sure if your web host will support it. Are you able to just load up the software as like a php script to the web server?

7. Bilgefisher

Rep Bank:
    $408
    http://wordpress.org/

seems to have everything I will need to setup a blog. Thanks for the tidbit. Still trying to find some example layouts of it.

8. biophase

biophase Legendary Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $189,383
    Wordpress is the way to go. You just need an SQL database. It's real easy to setup and configure and has tons of templates and plugins.

Wordpress is power enough to run a mini ecommerce store from it. Once you learn how to use its pages and posts you can just about set up a site on anything with it.

9. Jorge

Jorge Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $252
    First I would check if your hosting doesnt provide a one click install on wordpress. Most hosting companies offer this.

Second I would search for a nice theme for your blog, check here, and here for example.

Finally I would find the plugins to make my life easier, this are the ones I love (Wordpress prior to 2.3, don't know now since I didn't upgraded yet):

-Akismet (Anti-comment spam)
    -All in one SEO Pack (Helps with search engines)
    -Embedded-Video (For YouTube, Google Video, etc)
    -Share This (Lets your readers bookmark entries)

Good Luck!

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.