The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Bitcoin goes parabolic, up 20% in one day, rises from the dead

Anything related to bitcoin, crypto, blockchain

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I own some and never sold.

I didn't buy the dip though...

Just kinda forgot about it.

GOLD has also been slowly rising...

Really interesting movements...

Is the market signalling trouble in the traditional financial markets?
Dollar collapse?
World market collapse?
Will Peter Schiff finally be right after decades of dire predictions?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

msufan

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Mar 13, 2013
The thing I don't understand about Bitcoin's rise in value is that it is really bad for daily use. I receive Bitcoin payouts for online gaming, but that's it. You can't use it at stores because it takes to long to process a payment, and you get hit with large fees when the network gets busy. It doesn't scale well enough to be used globally, either.

So all you have left is Bitcoin as a store of value. But that is completely based on faith/public sentiment and is dangerously close to tulips IMHO.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
It is not even close to the Tulip craze. Every single person mining or using these digital currencies are putting their faith in them. People have less faith in the government these days, which means decentralized currencies such as these are just going to become more popular.

I think that Facebook and their buddies announcing their own "crypto" bodes incredibly well for the industry as a whole, as it legitimizes a lot of it and will draw a lot of attention. Anyone who does any research will realize that Facebook and friends controlling theirs rather than having it decentralized will steer them in the direction of BTC and ETH.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Luckily I did buy some bitcoin at $4k while I was messing around with it as a currency remitter to Mexican pesos. Even after paying market maker fees you still come out making a small arbitrage profit. Better than giving it to HSBC or Bank of America.

Although I never thought it would go up that fast, I think it will go down further.

More and more red flags are popping up that we might be heading to something bad. Transports data doesn't look too good.

Sure our economy has created jobs but these jobs are not high paying middle class jobs. Worrisome for sure.

JimK

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 24, 2019
Buford, GA
strength of currencies is about the confidence in them. I'm not in the bitcoin game.
But gold is interesting, as it has its cycles.

Estimates of what gold should be are $10k+, but from the dow/gold ratio chart below, it's setting up to be $25k+, i.e. one or two gold coins for one share of dow.

Dow to Gold Ratio - 100 Year Historical Chart

Damien C

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Mar 19, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Yes it's gone up 20% in a day. It could also drop 40% in an hour. People only crow when they're 'making money' I see little difference between investing in cryptocurrency and rolling a roulette wheel. Good money if you can take it off the table at the right time, not for me though. The smart money is in there pumping and dumping and it's alarming that many are now looking to buy in at $12,000 *AGAIN* Buy high sell low.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
@Damien Dev what if that persons plan is to hold it for 5 years and ignore the swings?

100ToOne

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Jul 1, 2018
As I quoted Talal Abu-Ghazaleh before, here it is again.

BlokeInProgress

Business Building Warrior
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 6, 2014
Australia
Would it be because of the news that Facebook released Libra (their own cryto)?

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Altcoins will follow suit in the next month while everyone now buys BTC in fomo money will roll back into ALTs.

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
Interesting to see that crypto is splitting people into two camps:

Camp 1 is filled with people that have educated themselves on what blockchain is, how the technology works on a high-level and what possibilities/opportunities it will bring.

Camp 2 is filled with people that do not understand it, dismiss it outright and only focus on the negatives (e.g. the current volatility).

Amazon lost more than 90 percent of its value in two years during the dotcom bust however long term investors still made a lot of money. Only thing we need to figure out is which crypto is Amazon and which crypto is Webvan.

JordanS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 8, 2014
Yes it's gone up 20% in a day. It could also drop 40% in an hour. People only crow when they're 'making money' I see little difference between investing in cryptocurrency and rolling a roulette wheel. Good money if you can take it off the table at the right time, not for me though. The smart money is in there pumping and dumping and it's alarming that many are now looking to buy in at $12,000 *AGAIN* Buy high sell low.
The difference in your example is that on a roulette wheel you either win a little bit or lose 100%. If you are trading properly(whether it be crypto, forex, or the stock market) you aren't just going to $0. You know your targets for both your take profit and for your stop loss, which results in you winning good or losing a little.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013

Dollar collapse?
World market collapse?

In 1977, an engineer named William LeMessurier built an office building. It was considered a marvel of design. After it was finished, a college student that was writing their thesis on the building's design, asked a simple question. She asked how the building handled strong winds that blew on the corners of the building. This question eventually reached LeMessurier, who quickly realized that a flaw in the design meant that each year the building stood, it had a 1 in 16 chance of collapsing. At 59 stories, this building was the 7th tallest building in Manhattan. LeMessurier said in an interview, his first thought was to commit suicide, but decided he would be more useful helping others work out a solution, which a large team eventually did.

My question for people investing in Bitcoin is this, how do you know the math behind Bitcoin is not flawed?

I'm sure a lot of really smart people, both white-hat and black-hat, have examined the math that guarantees there can only be 21M Bitcoins, and have so far not found a flaw. That doesn't mean they wont in the future. Many encryption and cryptography algorithms have been attacked mathematically, and been defeated.

Because I don't understand the math behind BTC, and have seen a lot of "bullet-proof" systems fail, I will personally stick with Gold/Silver.

Having said all that, I fully expect the USD to eventually be valued at 0, because the US cannot stop printing money. If they stop printing, they will crash the economy, and if they keep printing, they will crash the economy. I use to think this would happen in about 50 years, but now I am afraid it will happen in like 5 years. Throw in some reparations, college debt forgiveness, free healthcare, open borders, free college, guaranteed basic income, and a few more wars, and it might be even sooner than that. I remember Regan talking about how a 2 trillion dollar debt was enough to stack $1000 dollar bills to the moon and back. Currently the debt is 22 trillion. Little did we know, we were living in the "good old days". It will be really interesting to see how all this plays out, but I didn't want a front-row seat.

Damien C

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Mar 19, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
@Damien Dev what if that persons plan is to hold it for 5 years and ignore the swings?

In my opinion buy and hold is only a good strategy when acquiring assets that fundamentally have value and you have sufficient data to determine whether the asset in question is either 'overvalued' or 'undervalued' relative to other assets you ultimately desire.

Bitcoin hasn't yet proven itself to be a store of value or a medium of exchange, and there's only 10 years of historical price data behind it. That isn't long enough (for myself) to make an informed investment decision.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
People getting ready for the halvening. Which is when block rewards get halved. Everytime that happens Bitcoin pumps.

Ilya C

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jun 6, 2019
Dollar collapse?
World market collapse?

I see that there is another global (long-term) trend. When the Internet came, it was like Wild West at first. No laws, no money/people's attention to be gained, nothing. Merely a playground. Then it grew to become a place where extreme power can be built/accessed from your couch. And it also became regulated and closely watched because of that power. Entities like Alphabet, Facebook, Apple, MS, Amazon do have data and attention. That would be enough to exercise control, but they are bound with something they can't influence directly — laws and money (cough... Libra... cough).

But things are going to change in an interesting way. My prediction is that the decentralized internet is going to come, returning the power to its source — the users. It is already happening, but slowly and under the shadows (there are social networks with privacy guarantees, no ads, completely free and run by their users, there are similar blog platforms, the technologies are being built to transport traffic securely over the existing routes, etc). Cryptocurrencies could be a part of that trend. In that sense, Bitcoin is merely a playground. What we see is the process, not the event. We'll recognize the event when/if it happens. (Of course I don't know if it will be Bitcoin or some other thing).

On a side note, Bitcoin is great for entrepreneurs because it has tons of issues. For it to become mainstream we need it to be easy and fast like credit card payments, we are nowhere near it atm.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Interesting to see that crypto is splitting people into two camps:

Camp 1 is filled with people that have educated themselves on what blockchain is, how the technology works on a high-level and what possibilities/opportunities it will bring.

Camp 2 is filled with people that do not understand it, dismiss it outright and only focus on the negatives (e.g. the current volatility).
I'm in Camp 3.

And btw. all cryptos are webvan.

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
Bitcoin went sideways for awhile.. I am guessing the small group of people holding most coins got tired of waiting for volatility from outside forces and began moving the markets again themselves.

Jeff Noel

Go all in.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada
I'm still curious about John Mcafee's predictions a few years ago.

I choked to invest back when it was CA$8.00/BTC (I used to mine them with my gaming PC). Sold 0.3BTC when they were worth $800/BTC. This time, I'm holding until it crashed and burns... or it skyrockets. I'm not selling under 250K/BTC.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I'm still curious about John Mcafee's predictions a few years ago.

I choked to invest back when it was CA$8.00/BTC (I used to mine them with my gaming PC). Sold 0.3BTC when they were worth $800/BTC. This time, I'm holding until it crashed and burns... or it skyrockets. I'm not selling under 250K/BTC.
I have a bunch of BTC in an account I lost the password to. I bought it when it was like $700 per coin. Every time it rises I rage.

brief

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Sep 19, 2018
The thing I don't understand about Bitcoin's rise in value is that it is really bad for daily use. I receive Bitcoin payouts for online gaming, but that's it. You can't use it at stores because it takes to long to process a payment, and you get hit with large fees when the network gets busy. It doesn't scale well enough to be used globally, either.

So all you have left is Bitcoin as a store of value. But that is completely based on faith/public sentiment and is dangerously close to tulips IMHO.

I think the core is perfect as it is and that layer 2 solutions like the lightning network will fix those issues.

That being said, imo the true stability of bitcoin will come if we start to use it.

Imo this will happen soon as the lightning network will get some attenion. Then, it will become truly valuable and people will understand why it's a better form of money and not a scam.

Just my two cents ...

Last edited:

brief

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Sep 19, 2018
I think the core is perfect as it is and that layer 2 solutions like the lightning network will fix those issues.

That being said, imo the true stability of bitcoin will come if we start to use it. Then, it will become truly valuable and people will understand why it's a better form of payment and not a scam.

Just my two cents ...

Soder

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
511%
Jan 3, 2019
I don't believe in BTC, but I recognize that it could be a good trade. Due that the human psychology it could go crazy high like historic bubbles or more due this internet era that makes bigger the Fear Of Missing Out.

spreng

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jul 1, 2019
I'd say Q2 2020 we will see the market crash. Most businesses in my space have cut back budget already and sales orgs are not hitting their bookings. The Fed is going to have to do some crazy S*** to keep the economy afloat.

Bitcoin is up because of hype probably, over the new facebook coin and then JP morgan has started using it. BTC price rises after institutional recognition and public market follows suit.

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO

Dollar collapse?
World market collapse?

Peter Schiff is always right. He's a very smart Austrian Economist. He just can't time it. Nobody can.

Gold is up over 10% in the last 2 months. That is crazy. And not much has even happened economically speaking. The dollar hasn't gone down that much. The CPI barely changed. Imagine when the downturn gets worse and the Fed gets looser and looser.

Gold has beaten the stock market in the last 20 years and the score is about to widen. Gold has just begun.

Last edited:

HackVenture

Digital Marketer
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Mar 11, 2011
Planet Earth
I hold a bunch of crypto including BTC; I've never tried to convince people whether BTC is good or bad or whether it's a scam or whatever, but my question to any person with "surplus" money is this.

What IF BTC one day actually does become an asset class that institutions actually have access to?

No need to argue how that will NEVER happen, how this is just a bunch of crap etc.

What IF.

And then decide your allocation accordingly.

I do believe any individual with surplus money he can afford to lose and and able to understand what it takes to buy, store and protect their own BTC should at least buy some, depending on risk appetite and comfort level.

Even if you think BTC is a piece of crap that will disappear tomorrow, the upside potential vs downside risk just makes it a no-brainer.

If or when the magical, maniacal bull market comes again, 20% wouldn't really be considered parabolic.

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
I hold a bunch of crypto including BTC; I've never tried to convince people whether BTC is good or bad or whether it's a scam or whatever, but my question to any person with "surplus" money is this.

What IF BTC one day actually does become an asset class that institutions actually have access to?

No need to argue how that will NEVER happen, how this is just a bunch of crap etc.

What IF.

And then decide your allocation accordingly.

I do believe any individual with surplus money he can afford to lose and and able to understand what it takes to buy, store and protect their own BTC should at least buy some, depending on risk appetite and comfort level.

Even if you think BTC is a piece of crap that will disappear tomorrow, the upside potential vs downside risk just makes it a no-brainer.

If or when the magical, maniacal bull market comes again, 20% wouldn't really be considered parabolic.

This is one of the most illogical posts I've ever read.

Kusneak

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jun 20, 2019
Black Forrest Germany
Many People close theire eyes to new tecnologys. And why the hell should somebody with decades of experience in his field change his winning strategy to a new unknown one? Nobody does. But one day you will see this few people rule the world. The odds are very low, but why not spend a view bucks that maybe could have a huge impact.. New Technologys Will always come and always will rule the world. If this is Crypto, AI or IoT nobody knows.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.