Long story short -- I've had 4 job offers in the last 2 months for a slightly higher salary... Between $6k-10k more than what I make now at my W-2 job.
I'm not in a hurry to leave my cushy job though -- Because I get to work from home, and the new jobs would all be a 45 minute commute each way.
What is the best way to use these job offers to get myself a better deal at work? I've heard a lot of people do this very successfully in the past... In fact in my company, the rumor is that the manager's ONLY have ability to change your pay if you come to them with another job offer.
Still I'm a little perplexed at how to approach it.... Do you pull a huge poker-style bluff and go "all in" with a "I'm putting in my 2 weeks notice..." email... Or do you take him asside in a friendly manner and say, "Hey man -- I just wanted you to know I'm getting other job offers and the pay is better... What would you like to do?"
Interested to hear advice from people who have successfully negotiated a pay increase based on other job offers.
Cheers,
- Hakrjak
I'm not in a hurry to leave my cushy job though -- Because I get to work from home, and the new jobs would all be a 45 minute commute each way.
What is the best way to use these job offers to get myself a better deal at work? I've heard a lot of people do this very successfully in the past... In fact in my company, the rumor is that the manager's ONLY have ability to change your pay if you come to them with another job offer.
Still I'm a little perplexed at how to approach it.... Do you pull a huge poker-style bluff and go "all in" with a "I'm putting in my 2 weeks notice..." email... Or do you take him asside in a friendly manner and say, "Hey man -- I just wanted you to know I'm getting other job offers and the pay is better... What would you like to do?"
Interested to hear advice from people who have successfully negotiated a pay increase based on other job offers.
Cheers,
- Hakrjak
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
