The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Best credit card

Jito

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Dec 2, 2007
Bay Area
I currently use Amex almost exclusively, however I want to get a backup Visa or Mastercard. Anyone have any suggestions?

And don't worry, I have zero debt, close to 800 credit score and am responsible with spending. Keep track of every receipt.. I scan my receipts to pdf and create monthly accounting reports of everything.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

tchandy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Aug 16, 2007
Kansas, for now
I use Discover and have since the late 90s. I like it for the cash back you can get after you make a charge on anything. I believe it is 5% on everything you buy. Not too keen on the cards with frequent flier miles, and other perks.

http://www.discovercard.com/

Tom

Jito

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Dec 2, 2007
Bay Area
I like discover, but I feel it has the same drawback as Amex, i.e. some vendors don't accept it...

tchandy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Aug 16, 2007
Kansas, for now
I like discover, but I feel it has the same drawback as Amex, i.e. some vendors don't accept it...

True, some vendors don't accept Discover but most places I purchase from, do. :boxing_smiley: I always wonder when these companies were going to get out of the stone age and come into the 20th century.

I use my debit for places that don't accept Discover but that is maybe one out of every fifteen times I use my credit card.

Tom

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
I have two Visa's, and want to add another card to build more credit available.

I have close to 800 rating and 23k limit on one of the cards - so I am hoping to get another 15k or more with this next card.

From this forum, and friends I keep hearing how good Amex is (Especially with disputes) so I might be leaning that way.

What would be the card for me that would allow me the largest credit / more increases down the line?

Thanks

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
I like the Chase World Rewards Mastercard. They are liberal about giving you a high limit, and you can opt for cash back or shop their catalog with your rewards points. The points are 1 per $ you spend, and for some purchases like gas & groceries (Everyday spending) it can be as high as 3-5 points per dollar spent, last I checked.

I put 100% of my monthly everyday expenses on this card, and cash out about $500 in rewards per year pretty easily. I pay it off every month too, so I never pay any finance charges, etc.

Cheers,

- Hakrjak

Allthingznew

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 26, 2007
There are benefits of having one of each cuz there's always someone who doesn't take one of them. Sams Club won't take Visa or Mastercard (there pumps will though) inside but they'll take Discover. Go figure.

I had an MBNA Visa that I really liked, gave a low fixed rate and increased my credit line $500 every month or every other month. B of A bought them out, but they still increase my limit. Come to think of it I think my other B of A card (originally with B of A) gets increased regularly too. Helps the debt to credit ratio, although I try to pay them in full each month.

I have a Chase Visa I've been pretty happy with, they don't increase the limit on their own though, and I've actually liked that because I use that one a lot and I've never increased the limit on it, on purpose! I don't know if Advanta has a non-business card, but it's a great Mastercard.

Each company has their own perks they offer and pros and cons, guess it depends on what you want/need as to which is truly best for you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.