The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Best college degrees

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
Hey could someone link me to a thread that says the college degrees that are most worth it? I can't find it. I've seen computer science mentioned around here but does anyone have a list?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

HoneyBadger

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
201%
Jul 14, 2016
Florida
This isn't really in the scope of this forum. Might just be me but lately there has been an avalanche of college degree, house buying, etc. questions on here...

Aimee

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
409%
Mar 3, 2014
The answer wholly depends on what you mean by 'worth it'? What do you want to get out of it?

I study computer science. There are lots of jobs opportunities, if that's what you mean?

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
This question isn't for me. It's for someone who is set on college but they don't know what they want to do.

Duane

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 23, 2015
Lakeland FL
Worth what?

What do they want to accomplish with said degree, what is their end goal..

This forum isn't really the place for college advice. They have to step up and make their own decisions in life and be confident in them. We can't make their life decisions for them, it'd set them up for failure.

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
I guess he wants a good paying Job that has lots of opportunities. I trying telling him that a job shouldn't be the end goal. And he wont read TMFL.

Duane

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 23, 2015
Lakeland FL
Not everyone has an entrepreneurial mindset. They just want a decent paying job to pay their bills so they can enjoy themselves after 5pm and on the weekends with no added stress.

We want people like that to work for us and help operations flow, don't try to change or knock them. But also don't make their decisions for them, they have to figure out what they want to do, not you figure it out for them..

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
I guess he wants a good paying Job that has lots of opportunities. I trying telling him that a job shouldn't be the end goal. And he wont read TMFL.
Let him figure it out himself.

Frushe

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Mar 8, 2016
Stem has a lot of opportunities. And you also can use some of the skills for entrepreneuring.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
All I asked is what good college degrees are. Jeeze you people can be thick sometimes. Just answer the question of don't answer at all.

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare
Worth "it" obviously, don't you know anything?
What I know is that I wasted 5 years of my life in a school for a degree that doesn't interest me...(nor the industry)

...for a degree that "they" said was "worth it"...

"This is worth it, you'll have something, n'be somebody...."

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
Here are some degrees that should be helpful both in the slowlane and fastlane assuming you're going to learn the business skills on your own.

Management Information Systems (MIS) -- this is usually taught in business schools so you'll get the basic business courses too (accounting, law, etc.)

Data Science / Data Analytics / Analytics

Computer Engineering -- I met a guy who had basic IOS apps on his iPhone that he developed himself who's doing this degree. He's a freshman though so he learned that on his own and obviously loves it. So college or no college he'd learn.

Mechanical Engineering -- I met a guy who's got some ideas and is very entrepreneurial who's doing this degree. It could help with the development of physical products.

Bioengineering

Electrical Engineering

Computer Science
-- was mentioned but felt I should add it here.

Note: Notice how they're all STEM. :oops: I'm not doing either of them although a basic MIS course (and CS course) is standard for business degrees and if I were to get a Master's Degree, it'd be in Analytics most likely. Right now I'm on the path for a BSBA with a concentration in Marketing, and I plan to add an Entrepreneurship concentration too. I'm cherrypicking a few Communications courses (Negotiation and Persuasion) and at least one Engineering course. That'll add at least one more semester until graduation, but it might be worth it, so that's the plan for now.

I'll eventually find out if it was all worthwhile and let you all know, haha. It's definitely not enjoyable all the time. Right now it's actually very unenjoyable.

Last edited:

Rethagos

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 25, 2014
Poland
University of Hard Knocks will get your friend further than any diploma.

And besides, does he REALLY not know what he wants to do?
I mean, I didn't know what I wanted to do for a long time, but I knew that my interest oscillated around a certain theme.

Ask him how his ideal work would look like. If you throw personal enjoyment of work out of the picture, he'll possibly resent you for forcing him into picking a line of career he doesn't enjoy.
The choice is his. Don't force him into anything.

Aimee

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
409%
Mar 3, 2014

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
I'm studying Software Development. The reason I chose this was because it can be both slowlane or fastlane. If I need a job after college there are plenty available and most of them pay very well. I can also use these skills to create/edit websites for businesses to make some money on the side during college (I'm trying to turn this into a full business). The money from the slowlane job could also be used to purchase property and enter the fastlane via this method. These skills also help me with my fastlane ventures as I don't have to go paying a programmer and micromanaging them during the early stages of projects.

I agree with Aimee the OP doesn't deserve advice with the way he has spoken to people trying to help him but I posted my little piece anyways to prevent this thread being pure garbage.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Anything in the liberal arts! Haha

If going Slowlane,no ! Come on, MJ was speaking of such graduates serving coffee to settle their student debts, let alone MBA students! If liberal arts students try to go Fastlane, that's another issue as the Fastlane requires application of every possibly acquired knowledge.

No matter how had I try to tell my Malaysian peers who want to go to the US to study liberal arts, they don't listen....
It's like watching Peter Pan going off the plank at swordpoint on Captain Hook's boat.

mazo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Sep 12, 2016
Worth "it" obviously, don't you know anything?
Apparently life is a good learning path. (But is it worth it?)
Joey-Tribianni-Shrug-Friends.gif

Sheps

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Oct 10, 2015
UK
Let me save you some time; unless you've done the research and know there are jobs, and you're doing a STEM degree it's not worth the time or money. You'll also want a passion for that field and even then it may not be "worth" it.

Lastly realise that this place is about a different mindset to what your question entails. Ultimately your question boils down to "what jobs does "The Man" offer that pay the most" which is not the question or purpose of this forum and it's tenants.

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
If going Slowlane,no ! Come on, MJ was speaking of such graduates serving coffee to settle their student debts, let alone MBA students! If liberal arts students try to go Fastlane, that's another issue as the Fastlane requires application of every possibly acquired knowledge.
It was merely a sarcastic attempt at humor. Or was it a humorous attempt at sarcasm? Hmmm.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.