The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Best City/Country in Europe for Online Entrepreneur

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
I actually really like colder winters where you can hit the mountains and snowboard or just laze in the hot tub. Mexico has been 30-35 celsius every day and it's driving me crazy.

Ha! It's funny, for some reason, the other day I found myself reading your old thread before you moved to Mexico, you were super fussy then and you were adamant that you didn't want cold weather! What changed? :-D

It seems you are a lot more lax this time, I'd suggest moving to Spain so as not to waste all that Spanish you've learned :)

My favourite places in Spain are anywhere in the Granada region (including the city)... Granada's great, lots of lovely little towns like La Herra Dura, or Almun(y)eca if you want somewhere busier, plus if I remember rightly you love your rock climbing and that is pure climbing country, lovely cliffs, eagles, the lot.

It's funny because after going to Spain for the last 30 or so years, I recently stayed in a city for more than a day, for the first time, and I must say, I love Madrid. Bloody pricey, but I live in London so it's still cheaper, the food is amazing and you're surrounded by Spaniards, what's not to love?! :)

I visited Krakow recently, really, really, really loved it, however it was a week's trip so don't know if I'd recommend it to live... It's roughly 10x cheaper than London, so £5000 per month there is the equivalent of £50k. After going there I realise why so many Poles come to London, work like dogs for 2 years, then go back to their beautiful country to live like royalty.

If you want to go somewhere that's clean, efficient, always works and they speak English as well as their native language then get your a$$ on a plane to Deutschland... My preference is Southern Germany, the accent is so cool and laid back, almost Latin.

Ich würde in der nähe von Frankfurt oder Stuttgart bleiben :)

Or if you want to be right in the midst of the hustle and bustle, and you want to spend most of your income on rent, transport and tax, then come to London where you can hang out in the most multi-cultural buzzing city in the world... oh wait... Brexit... Lol, that's not gonna happen by the way... oops political, sorry!

Anyway, it's got its faults but London is great and it will probably only cost you twice as much to fly to Dublin as it would from somewhere much further away.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Dylan in Africa

Worldwide Educator
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Aug 25, 2017
Planet Earth
Just returned from a week in Kiev. The overall vibe was much better than expected. Internet options are top-notch. Money seems to go a lot further in Ukraine... I imagine it would be even more enjoyable with warm weather.

Have you been to Tbilisi before? I've heard good things and am looking at checking it out in a few months.

Lambo-Hunter

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Jul 14, 2017
Sweden
Budapest in the summer is awesome!

Great nightlife, Internet is good and there are lots of coworking spaces if you're into that.

Everyman

Get To The Choppa!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Dec 31, 2015
Ireland
Stay away from Amsterdam, it's overrated.

I love A'dam. I used to live in IJburg :smile: Why would you say it's overrated? Ok I totally agree it has good PR, much more than it actually is. Anything in specific?

I actually really like colder winters where you can hit the mountains and snowboard or just laze in the hot tub. Mexico has been 30-35 celsius every day and it's driving me crazy.

Budapest I haven't been to but I always see it ranked very high amongst online entrepreneurs. Poland/Gdansk I have never been to either - just heard good things.

In general I would say about Eastern European countries (aside from the Czech Rep)

They are hugely underrated and offer outstanding value for ... I shouldn't say they are cheap, but the earnings are good in real terms (comparing PPP) - a lot of Spaniards and Italians go to Poland to look for work (!!!) and .... wife ( :D )...

You probably aren't driven by costs... Nice people, really hospitable, a bit grumpy and complainers. Bureaucracy can be nightmare sometimes... All depends what you are looking for...

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Just returned from a week in Kiev. The overall vibe was much better than expected. Internet options are top-notch. Money seems to go a lot further in Ukraine... I imagine it would be even more enjoyable with warm weather.

Have you been to Tbilisi before? I've heard good things and am looking at checking it out in a few months.

Ya I have been to Tbilisi three times now I think. I like it. The food is so good and people are generally quiet friendly.

As a country, it's in a really big transition from super traditional to very liberal. So you kinda see two extreme ends of the spectrum.

Also the scenery of Georgia is probably as good as it gets - make sure to get out of the city and into the mountains.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Ha! It's funny, for some reason, the other day I found myself reading your old thread before you moved to Mexico, you were super fussy then and you were adamant that you didn't want cold weather! What changed? :-D

Ha ya! In Oaxaca I have seen rain less than 5 times in nearly 4 months. Everyday (like every) is the exact same weather. I think it's just gotten to me ha - I want some snow and rain :rofl:

The Irish aren't built to be in a continuously warm environment. I feel like a penguin in a zoo without a proper artificial artic environment.

SkyLake

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Nov 29, 2016
Why don't just live where your family is located?

Anyway, have you considered Canada or the US?

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Ha ya! In Oaxaca I have seen rain less than 5 times in nearly 4 months.

That is not a natural state of being for an Irishman!

It looks like it's Northern/Western Europe for you my friend! Keep us posted please :)

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018
My 2 cents:

So far my top picks are Kiev / Budapest / Tbilisi / Gdansk.

I visited Gdansk and it's a lovely place, but it's also really small (if you like that, then cool).

I haven't been to Kiev, but hell, the political situation there doesn't invite even to go there for tourism.

Valencia!

Weather, people, prices, food... A lot of stuff to like

Valencia is my hometown, so I'm sort of biased, but I'll try.

Weather: ok for 4-5 months, but summer here is HELL (+35 degrees, and very humid). I hate the weather in summer with all my soul. Fox is Irish but has been living in hot places I guess, so he might be ok with that.

People: some rude and very rude people all over the place. Also some normal people.

Prices: definitely cheaper than UK or Ireland, but still not so cheap here in Spain. It's still ok overall though.

Food: not the best place in Spain for food. The good food in good restaurants is expensive, and you could find a much better price/quality ratio in other areas. Still good food overall.

It's also a boring city unless you like partying. There's nothing else to do really. I found London 10 times more interesting, for example (museums, parks, activities, etc.). There isn't much nature around in case you like that (most city parks suck, although the old riverbed is cool).

It's sort of a quiet city (compared to big capitals) but still have 99% of services you need. This is the greatest thing I guess.

Very well suited for cycling safely.

Much safer than big capitals like London. Still not as safe as it used to be.

Work: working online makes it less relevant, but it's not the best place for good local gigs. Madrid and Barcelona are not so far away though, and things are different there.

I hope that helps.

Kraelog

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Sep 17, 2015
I'm Belgian and I lived a year in Dublin. Nice low taxes but the rain 24/7/365 was really too much.

Now for living, if your primary goal is fun & women, I would suggest Paris or Berlin. Just avoid the shitty parts and you'll have a blast.

For tax purposes, East-Europe is the way to go.

BaraQueenbee

tiny
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
Sep 14, 2015
Scottsdale, AZ
I love A'dam. I used to live in IJburg :smile: Why would you say it's overrated? Ok I totally agree it has good PR, much more than it actually is. Anything in specific?

Ridiculously expensive housing (and very expat unfriendly, seeing the prices and the way the housing market works).
Weather.
Politics.

Lack of nature.

I live here right now as citizen, but I would never recommend it for someone who has ALL the choice in the world, to live here <3

ygtrhos

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Dec 27, 2016
My ex-flatmates who are running a service/consulting business moved to Cyprus. They pay the same money we paid for a 90m2 flat in Frankfurt for a villa with pool in Larnaka.

I would not go there because I need a big city and a certain type of women around me, but living there is cheap, it is EU and it is warm throughout the whole year.

I live in Germany and if I had a running thing for me, I would never live here. Life is expensive and everyone has a 9-5 mentality here. The last one is literally the reason I do not like welfare countries. (because they need a big middle class, and mid-class means unexciting people for me)

Last edited:

Hijena1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Oct 1, 2018
Germany
My ex-flatmates who are running a service/consulting business moved to Cyprus. They pay the same money we paid for a 90m2 flat in Frankfurt for a villa with pool in Larnaka.

I would not go there because I need a big city and a certain type of women around me, but living there is cheap, it is EU and it is warm throughout the whole year.

I live in Germany and if I had a running thing for me, I would never live here. Life is expensive and everyone has a 9-5 mentality here. The last one is literally the reason I do not like welfare countries. (because they need a big middle class, and mid-class means unexciting people for me)
You are totally right! I moved 3 years ago in Frankfurt searching for a better job and the people! Let me say it again AND THE PEOPLE absolutely unexciting, no humor and fun at all! Germans are dull as hell. Moving out as soon as possible.

Knugs

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jan 10, 2016

Where did you study and grow up?

ygtrhos

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Dec 27, 2016
Where did you study and grow up?

I grew up in Turkey and came with 21 to Germany. Then stayed here. Now on the way to get the citizenship.

Looking back, I would never have spent my 20s in Germany, if I could. But that is a story for another day.

uroz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Dec 2, 2016
Shameless plug but consider Slovenia. Its basically in the center of Europe, people can speak English quite good. Prices on the level of Berlin I'd say.
Some mountains really close to the capital as well as the sea. Anything you want is max 1h-1.30h drive from the capital.

Everyman

Get To The Choppa!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Dec 31, 2015
Ireland
Ridiculously expensive housing (and very expat unfriendly, seeing the prices and the way the housing market works).
Weather.
Politics.

Lack of nature.

I live here right now as citizen, but I would never recommend it for someone who has ALL the choice in the world, to live here <3

Housing everywhere around the world (with few exceptions probably) in this part of the economic cycle is ludicrously overpriced... Dublin is even more expensive and doesn't offer half as much as an average city on the continent...

I found Ams pretty awesome. A bit over-advertised, but many people from all over the world, literally from every country on the planet and open too. Great food, fresh from different corners... I am repeating myself... Of course I might be biased and don't know it all. And I didn't spend there much time to start hating it haha...

Looking back, I would never have spent my 20s in Germany, if I could. But that is a story for another day.

Hey Man, interesting comment, this and the previous one (as I thought about Frankfurt am Main 7 years ago... long story). Could you tell us (me) a bit more about spending 20s in Germany...

jonahsr

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Mar 28, 2019
Lisbon, Portugal
Lisbon, Portugal. I moved here half a year ago & love it. People are relaxed & incredibly friendly, there is somewhat of an entrepreneur scene & the taxes can be really low (with NHR program even 0% depending on your set up). Health care is some of the best in the world, direct flights to all over Europe, US & China (Australia with one stop, 20 hrs).

Lived in Bulgaria before, it was great as well but people there aren't that open there (or should I say very different to what I'm used to since the effects of communism & orthodox religion can be felt quite notably. Also, people smoke everywhere, which was a bit off-putting. On the other side, the nature outside of the cities is stunning & you can feel it slowly developing into a more "western" country (might take a few more decades though).

So from my point of view, definitely look into Portugal. It's an incredible country. Take a look at this house, for example, just 45 mins from the airport & centre. Who wouldn't want to move there?

x.jpg

ygtrhos

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Dec 27, 2016
Hey Man, interesting comment, this and the previous one (as I thought about Frankfurt am Main 7 years ago... long story). Could you tell us (me) a bit more about spending 20s in Germany...

It is only my own perspective of 20s, I can talk about. For me, 20s was about understanding life and what I want in real. That is why I went into a lot of adventures in love life, in sex, in friendships and in my career. Why? I was just hungry for adventure.

Germany sucks for 20s because there is zero hunger in German people for adventure. Nobody wants to hook up with hotter chicks, nobody wants to earn more money and nobody is hungry for any worldly thing. Everyone is so much concerned about "being average" here. People really go through shit to earn 85k yearly instead of 75k. (of which half of it is taxed away) Nobody wants to stick out and take risks. I can even not find a sharp dressed dude on the streets here.

This makes the society really boring. Less chicks to hook up, less people into entrepreneurship, too many dull people and less adventures.

For what? For "stability" and "security". Because "families have to be protected". Because of "social state". Things I do not really need in my 20s. I neither have a family, nor do I want stability or security.

Because of this tendency to "be equal", social status is also not very important in their eyes. Conversations are generic, stripped away from passion and drivenness. Such things are seen to be "dangerous" or "audacious". You are not allowed or encouraged to stick out.

I would have chosen some Latin country probably for my 20s, if I could turn back.

SolangeM.

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
600%
Mar 28, 2019
Switzerland
So this post might come as a surprise to those who know me but I am looking at moving back to Europe within the next 2-3 months. I currently have been in Mexico for nearly a year and loved the place but have been finding it hard being so far away from my family.

As such I am looking for a livable city in Europe for online hustle and seeing what people would recommend. I am Irish but I don't want to move back home - just be able to visit a few times a year and on short notice if needed.

So far my top picks are Kiev / Budapest / Tbilisi / Gdansk.

Would love to hear peoples thoughts and any recommendations.

Hi, and why not Portugal? It's cheap and there are 300 days of sunshine a year! And people are very welcoming and it is a tax-free country for foreigners who want to invest there
Lisboa !

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Thanks for all the responses on the thread, means a lot.

I think I’m down to either Tbilisi or Kiev.

Some things that are a factor are:
- cold winter and warm summer: I like the difference and I eventually go crazy with good weather year round.

- I’d like to learn Russian. It’s a big challenge but it would open up a lot of travel options. I’ve always been fascinated with the culture. Why not do Russia - the visa is very hard long term for an Irish person.

- Cost of living. I want min expenses to but max dollars back into the business. I’m close to 7 figures if I can keep the head down and stay in track. But it requires a lot of leaversge so I want to free up as much money as possible.

- sense of adventure. I like semi “dangerous” off the track places. While Kiev and Tbilisi are really safe it just feels a bit more fun than say a tier one European city. I actually less safe in some Irish cities than I do abroad haha. But I like living in a little *off the beaten track* destinations.

- fellow online hustlers. This is something I have really missed in Oaxaca. I connect all day with great business people online but have every few to hang out with here. So I’d like a destination where I could build a crew and also maybe get some staff.

I’m still not 100% though so I’ll keep this thread updated if things change. I got another month to decide if not more.

Thanks again everyone.

BaraQueenbee

tiny
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
Sep 14, 2015
Scottsdale, AZ

- cold winter and warm summer: I like the difference and I eventually go crazy with good weather year round.

- I’d like to learn Russian. It’s a big challenge but it would open up a lot of travel options. I’ve always been fascinated with the culture. Why not do Russia - the visa is very hard long term for an Irish person.

- Cost of living. I want min expenses to but max dollars back into the business. I’m close to 7 figures if I can keep the head down and stay in track. But it requires a lot of leaversge so I want to free up as much money as possible.

- sense of adventure. I like semi “dangerous” off the track places. While Kiev and Tbilisi are really safe it just feels a bit more fun than say a tier one European city. I actually less safe in some Irish cities than I do abroad haha. But I like living in a little *off the beaten track* destinations.

- fellow online hustlers. This is something I have really missed in Oaxaca. I connect all day with great business people online but have every few to hang out with here. So I’d like a destination where I could build a crew and also maybe get some staff.

I’m still not 100% though so I’ll keep this thread updated if things change. I got another month to decide if not more.

Thanks again everyone.

Sounds mega exciting and East Europe is coooool if you know your way around. Looking forward to hear your adventures <3

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia

Thanks again everyone.

I would definitely recommend Tbilisi. Great food, low cost of living, the huge city park near the sulfur bath houses, nearby mountains, some cool co-working spaces (I have 2 favorites if you need it), are all good reasons to live there.

If you are single man, dating may be an issue as the locals are nearly 100% devout Orthodox Christians. Dating expats and other nomads could be an option if you are in the right community, but statistically it will be difficult to date local Georgian women. Just something to consider if this matters to you.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
Have heard good things about Vilnius.
Vilnius is one of my favorite cities. My eye doctor is there.

Sent from my VTR-L29 using Tapatalk

Dan_Fastlane

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 3, 2017
World Citizen
Lisbon, Portugal. I moved here half a year ago & love it. People are relaxed & incredibly friendly, there is somewhat of an entrepreneur scene & the taxes can be really low (with NHR program even 0% depending on your set up). Health care is some of the best in the world, direct flights to all over Europe, US & China (Australia with one stop, 20 hrs).

Lived in Bulgaria before, it was great as well but people there aren't that open there (or should I say very different to what I'm used to since the effects of communism & orthodox religion can be felt quite notably. Also, people smoke everywhere, which was a bit off-putting. On the other side, the nature outside of the cities is stunning & you can feel it slowly developing into a more "western" country (might take a few more decades though).

So from my point of view, definitely look into Portugal. It's an incredible country. Take a look at this house, for example, just 45 mins from the airport & centre. Who wouldn't want to move there?

x.jpg

awesome man, can you give me some facts here?

1. How much do you pay for that? is that rent?
2. Where is that located, city i mean?

Dan_Fastlane

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 3, 2017
World Citizen
Prague: *my hometown* Cheap. Amazing nature. Expats community and international community growing.
Cheap. As. F*ck. City has amazing public transport and is overall breath takingly beautiful

Barcelona and surroundings: beautiful weather. More western prices. Very international.

Depending on how social you want to be and how much to spend:

Berlin: unnecessary to elaborate on why. Amazing atmosphere. Western prices. Very international.

Stay away from Amsterdam, it's overrated.

Antwerp: cultural and beautiful city, great when not registering your company there, western prices, international. Shitty weather

Hey, which Prague area you can recommend for living? Prague 6 or something? that has good air quality and its not overcrowded but still safe?

jonahsr

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Mar 28, 2019
Lisbon, Portugal
awesome man, can you give me some facts here?

1. How much do you pay for that? is that rent?
2. Where is that located, city i mean?
Sure! The house in the photo is around 4k/month (new interior/over 200m2) & located in the hills between Cascais and Sintra. even though not directly in the capital, it's less than 45min from Lisbon airport. Was looking to move to a place like that later this year, currently living in Lisbon centre & it's getting a bit too busy (lots of tourists/ cars/ plus the general busyness of a capital).

Are you looking to move to Portugal?

Dr. Kildare

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Mar 5, 2019
New York, NY

Thanks again everyone.

So I’d like a destination where I could build a crew and also maybe get some staff.

I had some experience in the past of setting up a business in Europe - one thing I was not prepared for was the bureaucracy. I was told I would need a business permit. No problem I thought. I hired a local accountant to help me with the paperwork. I expected to get the permit in a week or two at the most.

Several months later I was still getting documents translated and notarised, getting fingerprinted, sending bank statements, hiring lawyers etc. At one point my lawyer told me that I'd need to take a 12 month class before they would issue a permit. The level of paperwork needed in some countries is insane.

Just something to be aware of...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.