The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Beginning

RocketRose

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Aug 13, 2020
Ireland
Hi
I am very much at the beginning of my journey. I think self-doubt and anxiety have kept my aspirations for entrepreneurship in chains. Spent many years in academia and then as carer to my children with additional needs. In recent years, I pursued a career in secondary school teaching and loved making a difference, especially to children who struggle with our Irish curriculum. Gutted my contract wasn't renewed in June but I realise I am better than than the way I allowed myself to be treated.

I listened to Unscripted a few months back on Audible and recently just finished TMF . The wit and insights were invaluable and very uplifting. I am listening back to Unscripted because it's a great way to pick up gems I may have missed the first time. While I am not solid yet on the road I will take, I am working on processes that will help me get there. I am committed and I will keep going for as long as it takes.

Best wishes and thanks from Ireland

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RocketRose

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Aug 13, 2020
Ireland
Welcome & kudos for teaching secondary, I can't think of a worse age group to teach, except maybe, preschool, kindergarten, primary, university, adults... LOL

What made you choose secondary?
Thanks so much!
Ha yep they're a tricky age group alright. 1st years are dotes and then they start testing boundaries much more in 2nd and 3rd year. I loved teaching them though, especially those who got up to divilment. They've such good hearts and I always did my best to support them in their learning and find aspect they could relate to.

I went for secondary for a number of reasons, I had past experience teaching biochemistry at 3rd level as a PhD student and tutoring 4th years as a Postdoc so I knew I could teach Science at Junior Cycle and Biology at Senior cycle. I am fairly passionate about science in general. I love kiddies but not working with them on a professional level. The final reason was that for primary school your fluency in Irish needs to be very good and a fairly long stint in a Gaeltacht region (Irish speaking areas) is required, which I couldn't commit to due to my childrens' needs at the time.

Last edited:

Hadrian

QUEST MASTER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Oct 8, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Hi
I am very much at the beginning of my journey. I think self-doubt and anxiety have kept my aspirations for entrepreneurship in chains. Spent many years in academia and then as carer to my children with additional needs. In recent years, I pursued a career in secondary school teaching and loved making a difference, especially to children who struggle with our Irish curriculum. Gutted my contract wasn't renewed in June but I realise I am better than than the way I allowed myself to be treated.

I listened to Unscripted a few months back on Audible and recently just finished TMF . The wit and insights were invaluable and very uplifting. I am listening back to Unscripted because it's a great way to pick up gems I may have missed the first time. While I am not solid yet on the road I will take, I am working on processes that will help me get there. I am committed and I will keep going for as long as it takes.

Best wishes and thanks from Ireland

Welcome aboard from a fellow Paddy!
I’m an ex-teacher From Rathmines who took a break to build a million dollar app... but the journey has been pretty horrendous So far lol

I’m well versed in all the Irish startup supports out there! New Frontiers is a great place to start! Feel free to hit me up for any advice you need!

Dying to hear your teacher inspired ideas... I was gonna Make an app for grinds but teachers want to stay anon. to skip paying tax! ☘️

RocketRose

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Aug 13, 2020
Ireland
Hi Hadrian,
Thanks a million. Bit nervy put myself back out there on forums - been a long time! Fair play on the app building - I am really interested in tech and the value apps can bring to end users. Really think Unscripted processes and principles can be used well to set yourself apart from others.

Thanks for the the offer of support, I will indeed check out New Frontiers and it is lovely to know there are Paddys aboard this forum:).

I am not too bad on ideas by times but executing them is where I need work:clench:

There are so many mediocre apps out there and so a wealth of opportunity to rise above the noise and bring value to those that need your app. I always thought I needed to be novel my ideas but MJ reminded me in his books that it doesn't have to be something new - listen to what the market wants/needs, even if there are apps already out there, see their reviews, what can you add or take away to make it better, there is also the opportunity to couple it with excellent aftercare (updates, customer care etc).

From my own experience, I can see students with special educational needs are not having their needs met and there is still so much stigma regarding 'invisible disabilities' like autism. It is a national issue here in Ireland but it holds true universally to some degree I believe. I say this both as a parent and an educator. A truly inclusive app for students and/or their parents should address accessibility (cater to the needs of those high on the continuum of support and you will benefit all students). Earlier this year while still teaching I had some students who really struggled with executive functioning issues and looked for some apps to help them stay organised an on track during their day. I was really surprised with the lack of options for their age group and the visuals were appalling. I hope that gives you some food for thought.

At the moment I am focusing on processes , establishing a routine (executive function is something I have to work hard on myself) and I am up early and writing now most days while the house is still quiet, a project my daughter and myself started last year. I am also providing online maths tuition to a student with additional needs as the parents contacted me at the start of summer. I definitely need to get clear though on one project to commit to and not be distracted by all the 'ideas' in my head. The good thing is now I realise that "I haven't got time" was just an excuse I was using, now I am making the time by getting up earlier when my brain is at its best :blush:

Best wishes and thanks :smile2:

Hadrian

QUEST MASTER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Oct 8, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Hi RocketRose...

Just a quick heads up the New Frontiers Program only has 2 slots left for Phase 1 in 2020 and the deadline is fast approaching... It's really worth doing... 2 evenings a week for 6 weeks to flesh out your idea... and its done online I think because of Corona... I have a few successful applications from before if you want me to send them on to you. Events Archive | New Frontiers programme

Earlier this year while still teaching I had some students who really struggled with executive functioning issues and looked for some apps to help them stay organised an on track during their day. I was really surprised with the lack of options for their age group and the visuals were appalling. I hope that gives you some food for thought.

Funny you should say that.. I'm working on a trilogy of fantasy themed gamified mental health apps and the second one is a productivity/accountability app. My Partner in the USA has already done a test study with kids with ADHD and it proved successsful... as rather than give them more time with fewer expectations they just needed more engaging tools instead.... I'm hoping this may have applications that go way beyond ADHD.

So are you working on writing or something tech related? :peace:

Last edited:

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Welcome to the best forum in the world!
I spent a some time in Ireland while setting up the Irish Republic part of my franchise network which I began in Australia. I enjoyed my time there nearly 30 years ago, but I must say I was sorry to see so much beautiful and formerly productive country lying fallow due to EU subsidies.
I listened to Unscripted a few months back on Audible and recently just finished TMF. The wit and insights were invaluable and very uplifting. I am listening back to Unscripted because it's a great way to pick up gems I may have missed the first time.
It is pleasing to see that you have begun listening a second time. It is much easier to retain new knowledge of any subject with a second or even third reading or hearing.

Best wishes,
Walter

RocketRose

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Aug 13, 2020
Ireland
Hi RocketRose...

Just a quick heads up the New Frontiers Program only has 2 slots left for Phase 1 in 2020 and the deadline is fast approaching... It's really worth doing... 2 evenings a week for 6 weeks to flesh out your idea... and its done online I think because of Corona... I have a few successful applications from before if you want me to send them on to you. Events Archive | New Frontiers programme

Funny you should say that.. I'm working on a trilogy of fantasy themed gamified mental health apps and the second one is a productivity/accountability app. My Partner in the USA has already done a test study with kids with ADHD and it proved successsful... as rather than give them more time with fewer expectations they just needed more engaging tools instead.... I'm hoping this may have applications that go way beyond ADHD.

So are you working on writing or something tech related? :peace:

Thanks Hadrian,

I will check it out, sounds like a great way to help me focus my thoughts and ideas. Those apps sound excellent! I was strongly encouraged to begin the DCU Inclusive Ed course by my former boss who really wanted me in the role of SEN co-ordinator in our school and I came across serious gaming while writing a case study for supporting students with autism. I highly recommend checking out Universal Design for Learning as a framework too. What you'll find is there is often co-existing conditions with ASD such as ADHD, OCD and sensory issues. I definitely agree that your apps will bring value to many and not just neurodiverse students. Also many 'high-functioning' students are either misdiagnosed or have delays in their diagnosis (this is especially common in girls).

I have to work very hard to be organised and stay consistent. I have more qualifications over the years than I know what to do with and although I loved research, I gravitated to teaching and research writing. My professor encouraged us to publish our work which I am very grateful for as it gave me great insight into the whole peer-review process. In relation to writing either fiction or non-fiction, it is something that has always been there since I was young, and I have made many starts over the years but self-doubt always triumphed or life 'got in the way'. Last year myself and my daughter began fleshing out a story, it became a summer project for us - a novel that addresses diversity and inclusion with a strong element of Irish fantasy. We started back at it this summer and I am determined to complete it before the year is out. Did I mention I also have perfectionist tendencies? :clench:

That being said, listening to Unscripted has lit a fire under me and my husband who is a programmer has mentioned the benefits of learning Python for a novice like myself :smile2: As a teacher, I was very strong in applying tech in the classroom and provided support to teachers in that space. I really need to decide though is it writing, or tech? I am aware of diluting my efforts with too many projects on the go at the one time. New Frontiers may just be the ticket, thanks again for recommending.

RocketRose

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Aug 13, 2020
Ireland
Welcome to the best forum in the world!
I spent a some time in Ireland while setting up the Irish Republic part of my franchise network which I began in Australia. I enjoyed my time there nearly 30 years ago, but I must say I was sorry to see so much beautiful and formerly productive country lying fallow due to EU subsidies.

It is pleasing to see that you have begun listening a second time. It is much easier to retain new knowledge of any subject with a second or even third reading or hearing.

Best wishes,
Walter

Thanks for the welcoming support Walter,
I know what you mean about Ireland but I can guarantee you the craic agus ceol is still mighty after all those years :blush:

Yep am a very visual, hands-on type of person so listening and absorbing anything is a bit of a challenge for me. Won't be surprised if I give it a third go around either.

All the best,
RR.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.