The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Before Opening: Hush or Buzz?

My company is not ready yet. Should I...

• promote, blog, press release, and otherwise create a stir?

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • shut up. Release the whole package when it's ready?

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
I have a great idea. It will take some time and some money to flesh out, but I've got a domain and an outline. While I am building this baby, should I be creating a buzz among my friends and colleagues or should I keep it secret and safe until everything is ready to rock?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
I would say you'd be better off getting started now.

Not only will this benefit your business from a marketing point of you (could never hurt to get a head-start), but it'll keep you focused. If you're just keeping your plans and goals to yourself and you begin to have second thoughts about it, who's gonna stop you from quitting? If you communicate with others, you will feel accountable to them.

Also, blogging can help with your planning. When you share your ideas, you might get some good suggestions, too.

I think you're more likely to stick with it and be successful if you get started early.

Good luck.

GoldenEggs

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 4, 2007
Silicon Valley, CA
I am in favor of promoting the idea now. I have two projects that are still in the beginning stages. I have one going already and need to maintain the momentum. It's not 100% there, so the website is very basic for now. But I have the other components of it going and the website is evolving.

My other project, I don't have full support of the people I am currently working with but they are interested. With that website, it will also be basic until I can prove to the group that is a worthwhile venture.

For me personally, I am more likely to check something out if there is a buzz. There was this new Middle Eastern restaurant opening up near me and I really was anxious about when it would finally open up so I could try it. I like anticipation... but that's me.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
IF you're gonna create buzz, you should get something on your domain so people who hear it can at least visit a site. You should also have a way for them to get on some contact list so you can email them when you are live.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I used to think the same, create buzz now... however, I read this article last week and found a note that made me re-think that.

He seemed a little taken aback. "What classic mistakes?" he asked.

"Well, the first was that you got all this fabulous publicity before you were ready to take advantage of it. That was all wasted. The idea is to make sales. You should have waited until you had a product to sell. You'll never have that same shot again."

So, after reading that article, I came to the fantastic conclusion that.... it depends.

Is the product you are going to sell or the service you are going to provide so unique and innovative that people want to wait for when is ready, AND competitors can't replicate and/or bring to market faster than you if they have more re$ources? If so then yes, make a big deal about it and start the buzz campaign. Otherwise I'd wait till I have something to sell.

ocean

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Sep 2, 2007
California
Momentum is important in this situation. You have to be able to bring your content up quickly, so that you gain a base audience before your competition does. I'd wager that many of the best "buzz" outcomes were planned in phases before hand.

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina

carlhuber

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jan 31, 2008
NY
Absolutely a private buzz, definitely not a public buzz.
Well, let me clarify: it depends. Hah! If your idea is an actual location/event/restaurant/store sort of thing that people will be waiting for and you have a firm date for opening, then yes create all the buzz you possibly can IF it's the kind of thing that people buzz for (people go crazy for new restaurant openings here in Rochester). If it's something that you can't see people actually pencilling into their calendars, then don't for a second waste your time and money bothering with until you can present the actual package. You mentioned having an idea and a domain - that leads me to believe it's going to be an internet site. Don't launch it until it's ready. If it's a business type thing or a classy entertainment type thing here's a great promotion: have a private Beta launch to certain users gleaned from a pool of relevant users (team up with another site for some cross promotions?). Otherwise mum's the word. No one wants to see a website with an "under construction" sign.

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
I used to think the same, create buzz now... however, I read this article last week and found a note that made me re-think that.

VERY useful resources, thank you all! Rep.speed all around! I appreciate that you each take my questions seriously.

Those of you that know me know that I'm like the kid in that article. Too many ideas, and maybe too many irons in the fire. I only own one LLC, but it's currently running five individual "companies." I need to learn how to focus and enjoy the process.

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
Absolutely a private buzz, definitely not a public buzz.
Well, let me clarify: it depends. Hah! ...........
Otherwise mum's the word. No one wants to see a website with an "under construction" sign.

There were so many good quotes in this thread, I didn't know which one to pull!

I'm in somewhat of the same mode right now. There will be a number of websites ultimately involved in the various phases of the project. How is that for sufficiently vague?

My thought was to put up a blog and as the links Jorge posted suggest, talk about the project, but keep it vague enough.

I know in the book world, you make sure the book is on the shelf...or at least the back room...before you do your big PR campaign. You only get one chance to make a first impression. But, privately you've been talking about it and creating a buzz within your community for about a month before the big launch.

So - the comment about private and public buzz, at least in the book world, is absolutely spot on. I would think a version of that is true in the eBiz world as well.

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
Oh, and reps all around as well. I'll be posting about my new project in the near future. All you eBiz guys have inspired me. Thank you.

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
Thanks to you guys, I have set up a blog that subtly hints as my sites and projects without trying to sell them. I'm not ready to rock yet, but I do have 30 people on my RSS feed!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.