The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Becoming a millionaire (the ''secrets'')

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Upon some reflection, I've failed at alot of things in my life. However, the reason for these failures isn't talent based, ability based or anything along the lines of that infact. This will be alot of verbal diarrhea I hope you enjoy while I listen to some heavy rock.

Looking back, the number one thing holding me back or anyone for that matter is definitely one key.

Discipline & Work ethic

Call me crazy, but my beliefs are that nearly everyone is equal, in terms of abilities or talents, and when pursuing something or trying to become great at something almost everyone has an equal shot barring physical requirements (i.e even if someone that's 5'3 dedicates their life to basketball it's impossible they even make the NBA)

As for something like achieving entrepreneurial success I think alot of people get sidetracked and aren't taking the right steps or actions to progress to the magical goal of $1,000,000
This is something that 99% of people on the planet will never achieve, yet shockingly most people on the planet will not even make the attempt. If you have ever studied the greats in any sport, industry, niche or fill in the blanks, you'll notice the elite have dedicated their lives to their craft.

And if you look at ''the 99%'' you'll see constant distractions that popup, whether it be social media, video games, tv shows, films, drugs, alcohol and of course just the daily grind of being in a job which turn your 8 hour days of work into 9 or 10 after you shower, eat, run errands etc, which gets even harder when you have kids, a spouse, a dog or fluffy the cat that keeps crapping on the carpet.

So a question I'd love to openly ask for all the fast lane warriors out there, what occupies your mind during the day and night?

When you are sitting on the toilet and taking a crap, or singing like a dying seal in the shower to Alice in Chains Man in the Box, are you thinking about how you will change the world with a new innovative product or service? Or thinking about something else? What is your daily like focus on?

Obsession can be a gift, and people need to be laser focused on a task I believe to really achieve success. Think about someone like Michael Jordan, growing up it's widely known he was one of the crappiest basketball players ever and was famously cut from the high school team, the second coming of MJ (MJ DeMarco) came up with the term ''FTE'' **** this event.

Can you imagine the anger, frustration and disappointment MJ went through after being cut? A big part of this imo ignited his ego and drove him into madness, spending hours on end practicing jump shots, 3 pointers, foul shots you name it. No life, no fun, all to feed his ego & fulfill his purpose in life, to become the greatest of all time.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v371h_VytjI

This clip shows how personal he took it when an NBA rookie called him out for a challenge to a game of 1 on 1. In effect this rookie challenged MJ's personal identity of being the greatest, which is basically a big eff you, I'm better than you at what you've dedicated your life to.

If you look at all the successful entrepreneurs in the world, one of the ''secrets'' is to not only have your FTE, but combine it with your purpose, the purpose of being free. While some people may look at mansions, yachts, lamborghinis and private jets as motivation these are all fleeting inspirational objects, refer to the opening chapter of TMF , the secret sauce is having the freedom to do as you please and having FU money. This can mean sleeping in every day for the rest of your life, traveling wherever you want and doing whatever you want, enjoying your favorite hobbies without time restrictions, on a side note... how many people in the world can actually just head to the airport on a whim and travel somewhere freely? Everyone is tied down to their job or even business, and might not even have the funds to afford the $200 a night stay in a fancy hotel.

I think I can speak for alot of people, we are all coming closer and closer to death and our focus can occasionally stray away from the most important objective in life, it's not money, but freedom & happiness. I'm a couple years away from a huge number and it feels terrifying, almost like a dream. #30, honestly I still feel like a 15 year old except sometimes I get a few aches and pains here and there! And as mentioned in the beginning, my actions of course has taken me to the path I am currently at.

Hanging out with the wrong people, (although fun) playing video games and sometimes binge watching youtube cat videos aren't exactly the most helpful activities for achieving freedom. Sure in the short term it's great, but looking back I feel like alot of time has been wasted. My mortality constantly pops up into my mind, last week I biked down a road that a man one year younger than me biked and was killed last Christmas by a drunk driver, when I do my own product deliveries it's something that's always in the back of my head. At any time some drunk idiot can easily take my life and I have almost no control over that, and so to go back to my original point prior to my ranting...

Focusing on our goal and not being sidetracked by some time wasting activities is the ''secret'' maybe.

1% of people will do the work 99% of people refuse to do.

What have been the biggest time wasting activities in your life that you could remove so future you in 5 years will thank you for? Are you living right now? Or dying?

And what is the most important thing you want to achieve before your eventual death?

Thanks for coming to my ted talk, and Merry early Christmas, and Happy New Year to all the fast and slowlaners out there! :praise:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
the secret sauce is having the freedom to do as you please and having FU money. This can mean sleeping in every day for the rest of your life,

My step son just got a job and was absolutely miserable because it had a morning start. He's a night owl like me. The look on his face was as if he'd rather kill himself than wake up at 6AM to go to work.

I told him that "sleeping in" and "waking up when I want to wake up" was the #1 reason, my purpose, for being an entrepreneur. In the last thirty years, I'm going to guess that I've been forced awake by an alarm less than 50 times.

What is your daily like focus on?

Unconditional happiness... no matter what is going on, especially with things I cannot control -- like politics, weather, traffic jams, etc.

Learn to be present. Notice nature, birdsong, the hot shower, the warm bed, the sunshine.

Watch yourself think... any anger/drama/anxiety is due to violation of unconditional happiness ... and wanting the world to conform to your expectations and/or worldview. That is impossible and a prescription for lifelong misery.

Amen.

Also, probably more important, is that the 1% are working hard in an efficient system with scalable mathematics ... the 99% are working in an inefficient system with math that favors rat-race outcomes.

"Working hard" is great -- but if it isn't channeled into a system that can reap bigger rewards, you're roadtripping on a tricycle. The analogy I like to use is this: Put USAIN BOLT on a tricycle and suddenly he is slow... and I CAN BEAT HIM. What changed? His effort is being marginalized in an inefficient system.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Upon some reflection, I've failed at alot of things in my life. However, the reason for these failures isn't talent based, ability based or anything along the lines of that infact. This will be alot of verbal diarrhea I hope you enjoy while I listen to some heavy rock.

Looking back, the number one thing holding me back or anyone for that matter is definitely one key.

Discipline & Work ethic

Call me crazy, but my beliefs are that nearly everyone is equal, in terms of abilities or talents, and when pursuing something or trying to become great at something almost everyone has an equal shot barring physical requirements (i.e even if someone that's 5'3 dedicates their life to basketball it's impossible they even make the NBA)

As for something like achieving entrepreneurial success I think alot of people get sidetracked and aren't taking the right steps or actions to progress to the magical goal of $1,000,000
This is something that 99% of people on the planet will never achieve, yet shockingly most people on the planet will not even make the attempt. If you have ever studied the greats in any sport, industry, niche or fill in the blanks, you'll notice the elite have dedicated their lives to their craft.

And if you look at ''the 99%'' you'll see constant distractions that popup, whether it be social media, video games, tv shows, films, drugs, alcohol and of course just the daily grind of being in a job which turn your 8 hour days of work into 9 or 10 after you shower, eat, run errands etc, which gets even harder when you have kids, a spouse, a dog or fluffy the cat that keeps crapping on the carpet.

So a question I'd love to openly ask for all the fast lane warriors out there, what occupies your mind during the day and night?

When you are sitting on the toilet and taking a crap, or singing like a dying seal in the shower to Alice in Chains Man in the Box, are you thinking about how you will change the world with a new innovative product or service? Or thinking about something else? What is your daily like focus on?

Obsession can be a gift, and people need to be laser focused on a task I believe to really achieve success. Think about someone like Michael Jordan, growing up it's widely known he was one of the crappiest basketball players ever and was famously cut from the high school team, the second coming of MJ (MJ DeMarco) came up with the term ''FTE'' **** this event.

Can you imagine the anger, frustration and disappointment MJ went through after being cut? A big part of this imo ignited his ego and drove him into madness, spending hours on end practicing jump shots, 3 pointers, foul shots you name it. No life, no fun, all to feed his ego & fulfill his purpose in life, to become the greatest of all time.

This clip shows how personal he took it when an NBA rookie called him out for a challenge to a game of 1 on 1. In effect this rookie challenged MJ's personal identity of being the greatest, which is basically a big eff you, I'm better than you at what you've dedicated your life to.

If you look at all the successful entrepreneurs in the world, one of the ''secrets'' is to not only have your FTE, but combine it with your purpose, the purpose of being free. While some people may look at mansions, yachts, lamborghinis and private jets as motivation these are all fleeting inspirational objects, refer to the opening chapter of TMF , the secret sauce is having the freedom to do as you please and having FU money. This can mean sleeping in every day for the rest of your life, traveling wherever you want and doing whatever you want, enjoying your favorite hobbies without time restrictions, on a side note... how many people in the world can actually just head to the airport on a whim and travel somewhere freely? Everyone is tied down to their job or even business, and might not even have the funds to afford the $200 a night stay in a fancy hotel.

I think I can speak for alot of people, we are all coming closer and closer to death and our focus can occasionally stray away from the most important objective in life, it's not money, but freedom & happiness. I'm a couple years away from a huge number and it feels terrifying, almost like a dream. #30, honestly I still feel like a 15 year old except sometimes I get a few aches and pains here and there! And as mentioned in the beginning, my actions of course has taken me to the path I am currently at.

Hanging out with the wrong people, (although fun) playing video games and sometimes binge watching youtube cat videos aren't exactly the most helpful activities for achieving freedom. Sure in the short term it's great, but looking back I feel like alot of time has been wasted. My mortality constantly pops up into my mind, last week I biked down a road that a man one year younger than me biked and was killed last Christmas by a drunk driver, when I do my own product deliveries it's something that's always in the back of my head. At any time some drunk idiot can easily take my life and I have almost no control over that, and so to go back to my original point prior to my ranting...

Focusing on our goal and not being sidetracked by some time wasting activities is the ''secret'' maybe.

What have been the biggest time wasting activities in your life that you could remove so future you in 5 years will thank you for? Are you living right now? Or dying?

And what is the most important thing you want to achieve before your eventual death?

Thanks for coming to my ted talk, and Merry early Christmas, and Happy New Year to all the fast and slowlaners out there! :praise:
I ask myself the same question, all day, every day. "What can I do AT THIS MOMENT to further my goal of ______? Baby steps count. Thinking through the next step counts. Checking off something on list of steps counts. It all counts.

Suggestion: While you're riding your bike to make your deliveries, use one ear to listen to an audio book that educates you. Then you don't have to use your brain to focus on the biker who was hit by the drunk driver. If he crosses your mind, send him your blessings for his peace and happiness. Let him go. You have only the limited power of evasion to keep yourself safe. Reality says that cars are bigger than bikes -- but bikes are more nibble. And if you did die in an accident, all your lifetime problems are solved. It's over. So, watch the road, bike safely, and keep on going.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
My step son just got a job and was absolutely miserable because it had a morning start. He's a night owl like me. The look on his face was as if he'd rather kill himself than wake up at 6AM to go to work.

I told him that "sleeping in" and "waking up when I want to wake up" was the #1 reason, my purpose, for being an entrepreneur. In the last thirty years, I'm going to guess that I've been forced awake by an alarm less than 50 times.

Unconditional happiness... no matter what is going on, especially with things I cannot control -- like politics, weather, traffic jams, etc.

Learn to be present. Notice nature, birdsong, the hot shower, the warm bed, the sunshine.

Watch yourself think... any anger/drama/anxiety is due to violation of unconditional happiness ... and wanting the world to conform to your expectations and/or worldview. That is impossible and a prescription for lifelong misery.

Amen.

Also, probably more important, is that the 1% are working hard in an efficient system with scalable mathematics ... the 99% are working in an inefficient system with math that favors rat-race outcomes.

"Working hard" is great -- but if it isn't channeled into a system that can reap bigger rewards, you're roadtripping on a tricycle. The analogy I like to use is this: Put USAIN BOLT on a tricycle and suddenly he is slow... and I CAN BEAT HIM. What changed? His effort is being marginalized in an inefficient system.

The man himself!

You gave me the idea of being present from the Youtube video created about not killing the spider on the wall and enjoying it's presence, just today I cycled the trails and did a short meditation session along the river with the wind at my face and listening to the water splash on the rocks, it was a beautiful moment, amazing recommendation.

I think its absolutely crucial for everyone to get away from the city and nature bath, there's something special that's indescribable about being miles away from people in the remote wilderness alone, an easy way to be ''one'' with your thoughts, no distractions of car horns, sirens or anything. Just earth, fresh air and the occasional bear :eek:

Does your step son have a venture planned out? Quite lucky to have you in the corner as a mentor!

Schuylerc

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Nov 21, 2020

Discipline & Work ethic

This is a great post! If you have big dreams and really want something out of your life, you need to be obsessed. I am currently working on this and need to hold myself accountable. This forum is really helping and I can't wait to see others such as yourself grow and obtain what you want in life.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
This is a great post! If you have big dreams and really want something out of your life, you need to be obsessed. I am currently working on this and need to hold myself accountable. This forum is really helping and I can't wait to see others such as yourself grow and obtain what you want in life.
So, what do you want in your life? What are you willing to give in exchange? How much risk are willing to take? What are your basic ethics in all of this?

Schuylerc

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Nov 21, 2020
So, what do you want in your life? What are you willing to give in exchange? How much risk are willing to take? What are your basic ethics in all of this?
I want to be a top real estate investor holding 3000+ doors. Millionaire in fact so I can take care of my family and buy the house of my dreams in my town and help family and charities. I’m willing to risk it all because I know that’s what it can take to obtain what you really want out of life. My ethics of it are don’t be oblivious and think it’s gonna just pass by. You need to watch carefully and manage what you have going on. Don’t just let it pass you and possibly mess your life up.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I want to be a top real estate investor holding 3000+ doors. Millionaire in fact so I can take care of my family and buy the house of my dreams in my town and help family and charities. I’m willing to risk it all because I know that’s what it can take to obtain what you really want out of life. My ethics of it are don’t be oblivious and think it’s gonna just pass by. You need to watch carefully and manage what you have going on. Don’t just let it pass you and possibly mess your life up.
How did you choose 3000+ doors? It takes a lot less to be a millionaire. Your dream to care for your family is a good goal. Managing carefully and taking care of your life is also a good idea. I find those to be in stark contrast to your stated risk tolerance. Risking it all is not the normal standard of a good investor. Most successful investors I know are very conservative and risk-averse. In my experience, RE is NOT a get rich quick path. It's a long, hard road, full of dangers, and managed risks.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA

That’s probably the best strategy for success. You kill 10 birds with 1 stone. You help your personal happiness and your business analytical skills.

I read so much stuff I don’t even remember where I read this but when Arthur Eddington was asked “what was his secret” he replied it’s all about a “cosmic perspective” something to that effect. He was talking about his mind.

I didn’t start making progress in my own life until I started taking a “birds eye view” on things. Give it 2-3 years and then it will be clear what your doing wrong in your life.

My favorite philosopher

“I looked away for a moment, then my life began”- Buddhist proverb

Schuylerc

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Nov 21, 2020
How did you choose 3000+ doors? It takes a lot less to be a millionaire. Your dream to care for your family is a good goal. Managing carefully and taking care of your life is also a good idea. I find those to be in stark contrast to your stated risk tolerance. Risking it all is not the normal standard of a good investor. Most successful investors I know are very conservative and risk-averse. In my experience, RE is NOT a get rich quick path. It's a long, hard road, full of dangers, and managed risks.
Yes this is true. But in my mind you should have a huge goal past what you think you can accomplish. Such as Grant Cardone with the 10X rule. Better to have 3000 than just 300 doors. And yes risk needs to be managed. I’m saying risk it all now as a beginner investor really not having anything so wouldn’t really lose anything. Later indeed manage risk better so you don’t lose any properties or anything like your own money. Thanks for your reply :)

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Yes this is true. But in my mind you should have a huge goal past what you think you can accomplish. Such as Grant Cardone with the 10X rule. Better to have 3000 than just 300 doors. And yes risk needs to be managed. I’m saying risk it all now as a beginner investor really not having anything so wouldn’t really lose anything. Later indeed manage risk better so you don’t lose any properties or anything like your own money. Thanks for your reply :)
How about a "doable" more immediate goal? I have seen people with these huge goals who never even start. They are overwhelmed by their huge goals.

What are you going to do first? What baby step or important step can you take today? How are you educating yourself? Who are you hanging out with? Are you putting together your circle of RE professionals? How many properties are looking at per week? per day? Can you do the math without looking at a cheat-sheet? Can you do handyman work? Can you walk a property and make a list of needed repairs and deferred maintenance? Can you price out those items? How do they affect the market value and rentability? Are you good at mowing lawns and cleaning up the landscaping? Will you do it if you need to? Do you know your local landlord/tenant laws? And the list goes on, and the list goes on...

Schuylerc

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Nov 21, 2020
How about a "doable" more immediate goal? I have seen people with these huge goals who never even start. They are overwhelmed by their huge goals.

What are you going to do first? What baby step or important step can you take today? How are you educating yourself? Who are you hanging out with? Are you putting together your circle of RE professionals? How many properties are looking at per week? per day? Can you do the math without looking at a cheat-sheet? Can you do handyman work? Can you walk a property and make a list of needed repairs and deferred maintenance? Can you price out those items? How do they affect the market value and rentability? Are you good at mowing lawns and cleaning up the landscaping? Will you do it if you need to? Do you know your local landlord/tenant laws? And the list goes on, and the list goes on...
A more “doable” goal isn’t what I like to think about. If you aren’t seeing the results you want than you need to do a lot more action. By having bigger goals you are held more accountable to your progress. Yes people do get into “analysis paralysis” and I used to be like that. Not anymore. I first a while ago started networking with real estate professionals such as agents and investors. Baby steps I took were running numbers on properties on the internet on my ideal deal to purchase. How to purchase them, how to find them etc. I’m educating myself by reading real estate books, podcasts, forums (such as this one) and YouTube. I’m hanging out with adults at least 10 years older than me (I’m 22) and I haven’t really hung out with people my age growing up because I’m naturally more mature than other people. I’m looking around 15 properties a week in my local town. (I really want to invest out of state in Florida and Texas). I can do general handyman work because I grew up working on houses with my father whenever we would move. We would always build additions, do new grass in yards and general landscaping. I can indeed walk a property and look at what needs to be done or has been neglected. This is what I look for in my town for my real estate agents. I can price out the items in my software I have. I do like to mow lawns (it’s kinda soothing). I will absolutely do landscaping if I have to. Really nice to see the changes from a neglected property to turn into a curb appealing property. I’m studying current laws for her in California (they are way more strict than where I want to invest).

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
A more “doable” goal isn’t what I like to think about. If you aren’t seeing the results you want than you need to do a lot more action. By having bigger goals you are held more accountable to your progress. Yes people do get into “analysis paralysis” and I used to be like that. Not anymore. I first a while ago started networking with real estate professionals such as agents and investors. Baby steps I took were running numbers on properties on the internet on my ideal deal to purchase. How to purchase them, how to find them etc. I’m educating myself by reading real estate books, podcasts, forums (such as this one) and YouTube. I’m hanging out with adults at least 10 years older than me (I’m 22) and I haven’t really hung out with people my age growing up because I’m naturally more mature than other people. I’m looking around 15 properties a week in my local town. (I really want to invest out of state in Florida and Texas). I can do general handyman work because I grew up working on houses with my father whenever we would move. We would always build additions, do new grass in yards and general landscaping. I can indeed walk a property and look at what needs to be done or has been neglected. This is what I look for in my town for my real estate agents. I can price out the items in my software I have. I do like to mow lawns (it’s kinda soothing). I will absolutely do landscaping if I have to. Really nice to see the changes from a neglected property to turn into a curb appealing property. I’m studying current laws for her in California (they are way more strict than where I want to invest).
Sounds like you're ready to start. You've already have a leg up on most people.

I mentored a young man who is now just about financially independent. He started out buying small units under the FHA program. He lived in one while he fixed up the other ones for renting them. Every couple of years, he bought another set of units and did the same thing. Then he traded up for bigger units. He worked during the day for his father's carpeting store, where he got to know bunches of RE people and handymen. He worked on his properties at night and on the weekend.

Many years ago I had a friend/client. He was an engineer on a cargo ship. He was out to sea for 3 months and in town the following three. He was a single man who bought rental units in Long Beach, CA. All he did with his off time was work on his units. He just plodded on, but he made a fortune over time.

A long time ago, I also knew another man who also made fortune in residential units named Jack. Working with him was a blast. He collected classic cars. When Jack bought or sold a major property, he either paid way under the market or got it sold for the top market value -- by throwing in one of his classic cars. He'd drive up in one of his cars, and they would start drooling.
(By the way, he got fired from my RE salesman's job the first day I met him. He insisted on talking to me rather than the person who had the floor time. He said that I looked like I could help him. So, I did -- after I was fired.)

There's 3 examples for you...

Schuylerc

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Nov 21, 2020
Sounds like you're ready to start. You've already have a leg up on most people.

I mentored a young man who is now just about financially independent. He started out buying small units under the FHA program. He lived in one while he fixed up the other ones for renting them. Every couple of years, he bought another set of units and did the same thing. Then he traded up for bigger units. He worked during the day for his father's carpeting store, where he got to know bunches of RE people and handymen. He worked on his properties at night and on the weekend.

Many years ago I had a friend/client. He was an engineer on a cargo ship. He was out to sea for 3 months and in town the following three. He was a single man who bought rental units in Long Beach, CA. All he did with his off time was work on his units. He just plodded on, but he made a fortune over time.

A long time ago, I also knew another man who also made fortune in residential units named Jack. Working with him was a blast. He collected classic cars. When Jack bought or sold a major property, he either paid way under the market or got it sold for the top market value -- by throwing in one of his classic cars. He'd drive up in one of his cars, and they would start drooling.
(By the way, he got fired from my RE salesman's job the first day I met him. He insisted on talking to me rather than the person who had the floor time. He said that I looked like I could help him. So, I did -- after I was fired.)

There's 3 examples for you...
That is so awesome! I’m so happy to hear about these stories. Very cool how people grow within real estate. Sometimes I even feel like I’m not getting anything done. I just hold myself to a very high standard. Working on getting my RE license right now, I just have to schedule my exam but it’s a pain due to COVID. I want to sell SF homes where I live and save up as much as I can and invest it elsewhere. I would like to move and hack real estate to live in one unit and rent the others out. Still studying all of this. I just need to put in more action to start seeing results (even though RE is a long game).

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
That is so awesome! I’m so happy to hear about these stories. Very cool how people grow within real estate. Sometimes I even feel like I’m not getting anything done. I just hold myself to a very high standard. Working on getting my RE license right now, I just have to schedule my exam but it’s a pain due to COVID. I want to sell SF homes where I live and save up as much as I can and invest it elsewhere. I would like to move and hack real estate to live in one unit and rent the others out. Still studying all of this. I just need to put in more action to start seeing results (even though RE is a long game).
RE is a huge umbrella of activities. I started out selling little houses in 1976 when I was about your age. I've just about done it all over the years in several different markets. No, I don't own 3,000+ doors -- but, I have enough to keep us happy & comfortable.

My advice: Start small and be consistent. Take it one step at a time. Learn to sell. Learn to talk to people. Study what the success people are doing around you. Ask LOTS of questions. Keep records so you know what is working for you. Help a successful agent to see what they are doing right. You can do that while you're waiting for your license. When you are licensed, sit open houses whether the listing is yours, or not. You can pass out fliers. You can door knock & cold call. You can make social contacts. You can learn your RE market. Get educated in selling and marketing...

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

Amen.

No need to answer if this is too personal but I've noticed recently that you've changed, or at least your writing style makes me feel so. You seem to be more mellow, calmer, less confrontational and just more chill.

What has sparked this change? What has helped?

Einfamilienhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 8, 2019
What has sparked this change? What has helped

He earned another million, so he doesn't give a f*ck to be right anymore. Instead just want to chill with his 24 years old Russian part-time model and enjoy his orange vodka for breakfast in Palm Beach.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016

Amen.

rollerskates

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 10, 2017
Texas
Yes! Literally the only thing we can control is ourselves but then you wonder why if we have to and do why don't other people?

I think its absolutely crucial for everyone to get away from the city
Yes! No one probably realized this until all the lockdowns. It's pretty important to live somewhere where aloneness and nature are easily accessible. I am so thankful I don't live in a city apartment or somewhere crowded.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
No need to answer if this is too personal but I've noticed recently that you've changed, or at least your writing style makes me feel so. You seem to be more mellow, calmer, less confrontational and just more chill.

What has sparked this change? What has helped?

Wow, that's pretty cool you noticed because generally speaking this is true. Thanks for perceiving that.

I've been taking steps to be more "present" and grateful, accepting things I cannot control. Mindfulness, meditation, a different perspective, etc. While I haven't read "The Power of Now" in many years, I'm trying to practice that. I guess the best phrase to encompass the philosophy is unconditional happiness, which I mentioned upstairs in the thread.

I also probably listened to 2,000+ hours of Michael Singer's work (audiobooks) while sleeping ... (that's how I accumulated 2000+ hours!) not sure if that is having a subliminal effect because honestly, as soon as I fire up the material, I'm asleep within minutes. Perhaps it is having a subliminal/subconscious impact, but I know it is having a conscious one. In the grand scheme of things, I know I have an awesome life and a lot to be thankful for. Generally speaking, less things piss me off with less emotional bite -- I've accepted that most humans are victims of their own feral, knee-jerk thinking while they clamor for Supreme clothes, Yeezies, and other stupid shit. I'm also aware that that previous statement is extremely egoistic (arrogant) as I'm not immune to equally feral reactions, so obviously I have a lot of work to do in that realm. One day at a time ...

I'm also getting older and more aware of my mortality, as they say, as you get older, the less f*cks are given, lol.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Wow, that's pretty cool you noticed because generally speaking this is true. Thanks for perceiving that.

I've been taking steps to be more "present" and grateful, accepting things I cannot control. Mindfulness, meditation, a different perspective, etc. While I haven't read "The Power of Now" in many years, I'm trying to practice that. I guess the best phrase to encompass the philosophy is unconditional happiness, which I mentioned upstairs in the thread.

I also probably listened to 2,000+ hours of Michael Singer's work (audiobooks) while sleeping ... (that's how I accumulated 2000+ hours!) not sure if that is having a subliminal effect because honestly, as soon as I fire up the material, I'm asleep within minutes. Perhaps it is having a subliminal/subconscious impact, but I know it is having a conscious one. In the grand scheme of things, I know I have an awesome life and a lot to be thankful for. Generally speaking, less things piss me off with less emotional bite -- I've accepted that most humans are victims of their own feral, knee-jerk thinking while they clamor for Supreme clothes, Yeezies, and other stupid shit. I'm also aware that that previous statement is extremely egoistic (arrogant) as I'm not immune to equally feral reactions, so obviously I have a lot of work to do in that realm. One day at a time ...

I'm also getting older and more aware of my mortality, as they say, as you get older, the less f*cks are given, lol.
Life is an interesting journey. I too am finding that I'm getting more tolerant and kinder as I grow older. It's a matter of listening, really listening to others.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Life is an interesting journey. I too am finding that I'm getting more tolerant and kinder as I grow older. It's a matter of listening, really listening to others.

I was reading about Michael J Fox (fellow Canadian)

At just 29 years old he was diagnosed with Parkinson's, (I am about to be 29) And it's scary to think that at such a young age there's a possibility of becoming ill. Even a successful multi millionaire actor doesn't have the power to change his health. It feels like life goes by quick and we've got only a little bit of control, point being, as MJ mentions about being present, we really need to enjoy our lives and take the time to be happy in the moment before everything comes to an end.

Even if it is as simple as watching the sun rise or set, as an experiment, try smiling for no reason at all and carrying on throughout the day. See if that changes how you feel, as crazy as it sounds I think it works..

There also is some type of karmic energy that I personally believe in aswell, if you treat people well it can come back to you.

Last edited:

LifeisSuffering

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Aug 14, 2020
My biggest Time waster for me was:
#1 Meeting with my friends for no reason just to hang out
Solution: I don't do that anymore i spend most of my time working on my skills.

#2 Social Media
Solution: Deleted all Social Media app, And using Youtube to watch documentary or How to videos

#3 Not taking Care of my mental health ( Yes this causes time wasting because I was worrying about unnecessary problem, most of them created by mind)

Solution: Started to workout( I'm not in Point with that but i'm working to make it stick).
Meditation, Huge benefits and Learned about Self-Management Technique. NoFap also.

Currently: Not Living and Not Dying, Just Surviving

Having and Island or Explore the space

• What I will learn today ? What experience i will have today that life has reserve it for me ? and How i'm going to learn from it ?
  • And always I question myself why ? Why is like that ? Why we have to work from 8-4 ? Why we need to obey by this rule ?

Last edited:

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Went for a beautiful bike ride today (trying to enjoy the no rain in Vancouver which is more rarer during the winter!)

Coming home the street down from my house was blocked off...multiple police cars, fire & ems... two cars with one looking like a crushed popcan...

Enjoy your days on earth, you might not get tomorrow...

Seamster

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
May 21, 2019
The Rust Belt; MI
The thing you mentioned about Michael Jordan taking it personal hits home with me. You know how sometimes people say things that you just don't forget? This reminds me of one in particular. MJ worked hard for what he had accomplished and didn't want Cory Benjamin to think that he could obtain what MJ did without putting in the time.

Well, I come from a working background in a small, poor city yet landed a job in a big city. I had to graduate college, have several years of relevant job experience, and speak a second language to work for this company. I also had to live the lifestyle that had me in once city working 9-5 Mon-Fri and driving 90 miles back home on weekends and some weeknights even to work on my properties. One day in the office we were talking about something and this fat white chick from a rich city said this to me: "Oh, you should talk. You come from the most economically and socially privileged group on the planet. A straight white male....hahahaha." I never forgot that.

I wasn't quick enough to say anything but now whenever I hear someone talking about how they don't like cleaning toilets, how they'd never drive a rusty car, how they don't want to study, don't want to practice, don't want to go out in the cold, have college debt, all these problems....I just tell myself: I have white male privilege.

My white privilege got me a college degree. I didn't qualify for the minority scholarships that went to kids below me in my class, but I got into college with my privilege. My privilege allowed me to work hard to study to graduate. My privilege allowed me to befriend international students to learn a second language. My privilege to read allowed me to study real estate. And now that I'm in the top 25%? Why, surely it's my white male privilege that makes me go work hard on my business after my 9-5 job while others are drinking wine and watching whatever everyone else is watching on Netflix. White male privilege is why I've takin the feces of other human beings who owe me money out of toilets with rubber gloves and threw it in the trash and turned around and cleaned the toilet and sold it along with the entire house for a quick $10k profit. Yes, yes, all that was handed to me at birth. My hard work didn't have anything to do with me getting where I am.

And the thing about all this is that I actually prefer them to think that everything was handed to me due to my white male privilege. It's easier that way! If you argue and win they don't believe you anyway, so why waste your breath? I actually prefer to look poor and drive a rusty car, but if they find out, I'll even tell them something like, "I just took over my grandfather's company" so they won't try to cut me down to size.

And I don't really have to prove anything to them to make me feel better. I'm not Michael Jordan and don't have that pride. I'm happy knowing that they can't run 1/4 mile without having a heart attack or can't afford to fix that 2019 hybrid when it breaks next year. When they're sitting in their fancy house or car with big having money troubles and I'm sitting on a beach doing nothing I'll just look back and say "yep." That's enough for me.

Last edited:

Think Expand

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Oct 30, 2019

Amen.

MJ, while I agree with this and conform to the principle of working in an efficient system with a scalable mathematics, what many folks in my area normally say is, " Hey, what I'm thinking about now is getting money to pay my rent, and putting food on the table for my family today; what are you saying about building a business with scale/magnitude?"

They'll say, "F*ck that scale... and F*ck that magnitude. I'm thinking about my rent and food now."

Short term thinking is what keeps most people working harder without applying any form of leverage to multiply their results.

Even if you're thinking long term, you have to learn to focus on the NOW (taking care of day-to-day needs now while leveraging your efforts with scale for the future)... as you have rightly said about being in the present... living a life of unconditional happiness now while watching yourself think through your day-to-day activities.

Last edited:

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
The thing you mentioned about Michael Jordan taking it personal hits home with me. You know how sometimes people say things that you just don't forget? This reminds me of one in particular. MJ worked hard for what he had accomplished and didn't want Cory Benjamin to think that he could obtain what MJ did without putting in the time.

Well, I come from a working background in a small, poor city yet landed a job in a big city. I had to graduate college, have several years of relevant job experience, and speak a second language to work for this company. I also had to live the lifestyle that had me in once city working 9-5 Mon-Fri and driving 90 miles back home on weekends and some weeknights even to work on my properties. One day in the office we were talking about something and this fat white chick from a rich city said this to me: "Oh, you should talk. You come from the most economically and socially privileged group on the planet. A straight white male....hahahaha." I never forgot that.

I wasn't quick enough to say anything but now whenever I hear someone talking about how they don't like cleaning toilets, how they'd never drive a rusty car, how they don't want to study, don't want to practice, don't want to go out in the cold, have college debt, all these problems....I just tell myself: I have white male privilege.

My white privilege got me a college degree. I didn't qualify for the minority scholarships that went to kids below me in my class, but I got into college with my privilege. My privilege allowed me to work hard to study to graduate. My privilege allowed me to befriend international students to learn a second language. My privilege to read allowed me to study real estate. And now that I have money? Why, surely it's my white male privilege that makes me go work hard on my business after my 9-5 job while others are drinking wine and watching whatever everyone else is watching on Netflix so they can talk about it tomorrow. White male privilege is why I've cleaned the shit of other human beings who owe me money out of toilets with rubber gloves and throw it in the trash and turn around and clean the toilet and sell it along with the entire house for a quick $10k profit. Yes, yes, all that was handed to me a birth. I didn't have to do anything to get where I am.

And the thing about all this is that I actually prefer them to think that everything was handed to me due to my white male privilege. It's easier that way! If you argue and win they don't believe you anyway, so why waste your breath? I actually prefer to look poor and drive a rusty car, but if they find out, I'll even tell them something like, "I took over my grandfather's company" so they won't try to cut me down to size.

And I don't really have to prove anything to them to make me feel better. I'm not Michael Jordan and don't have that pride. I'm happy knowing that they can't run 1/4 mile without having a heart attack or can't afford to fix that 2019 hybrid when it breaks next year. When they're sitting in their fancy house or car with big having money troubles and I'm sitting on a beach doing nothing I'll just look back and say "yep." That's enough for me.
Good for you. I'm "just a girl", but I share your attitude. I built my investment nut through LOTS of hard work and well-planned moves. I like flying under the radar because I don't want everyone to know what I'm doing. It's none of their business and I sure don't need to waste my time on their silly advice. I figure that when you finally inch over that line, there's no one to impress but yourself.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
There was video recently where YTubber was asking people with nice cars on the street - what do they do for a living.

There was one guy, in, idk maserati, when asked he made a semi-awkward grin and responded:
"Ballet!"
I have no idea what this guy did for a living and i'm not sure if it was 100% legal,
but if someone will ask me what i do for living... i have a tagline now.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.