Jeannen
Regular Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
LEGACY MEMBER
MEMBER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
This is the next part of my journey (first here), and since it will be very different from the previous one, I decided to make a new thread.
To give some context: I started entrepreneurship in 2017, became a freelancer, and got decent success.
I have ok income, not amazing but not bad either, and I can live quite comfortably since I moved to Indonesia to reduce my living costs.
During those years, I focused a lot on eCommerce and Marketing (which became my "job"), but I feel it's time to move to something else considering:
- The evolution of the market: ad costs rising like crazy, more emphasis on content and less technical media buying
- The upcoming economic crisis: marketing expenses are the first to be cleared in every crisis. Also, people focus more on essential & cheap purchases during those times.
So, I decided to learn to code.
I'm not really starting from scratch, as I have always been interested in this, so I know a few basics, but that's the first time I'm taking a "formal" class.
I'm pretty good with HTLM/CSS (not really coding tho) and have some decent basis in GDSCRIPT (very similar to Python but only used to make videogames). Other than that, I never really followed any structured course.
I bought a $20 course to learn Python on Udemy. So far it's very easy since I have the basics, but hopefully, it will start getting complicated soon (meaning I learn new things).
I choose Python because it's a popular language so there is lots of documentation about it, and it seems to be a good language for anything related to AI. No idea if I'll reach this stage but still good to learn something with potential.
My goal is to finish my course by the end of this month and start doing my own projects. Not sure what exactly, but whenever I see something that annoys me I write it down to come back to it later, so I'll pick from that. I'll probably take other courses later to consolidate my knowledge.
There is 36 section in the course, already 11 are done so far.
I made this post for public accountability and "force" me to do it regularly. It might also help people who want to get into coding to find some ideas to start. It's probably gonna be boring tho.
Worst case, I'd have learned a new skill that will be valuable. Combined with my already existing business and marketing skills (advertising, idea testing & prototyping, team management, customer study, manufacturing, etc...), I'm pretty sure that would give me a safety net for the upcoming crisis.
Of course, I'll still keep my existing marketing clients for now.
To give some context: I started entrepreneurship in 2017, became a freelancer, and got decent success.
I have ok income, not amazing but not bad either, and I can live quite comfortably since I moved to Indonesia to reduce my living costs.
During those years, I focused a lot on eCommerce and Marketing (which became my "job"), but I feel it's time to move to something else considering:
- The evolution of the market: ad costs rising like crazy, more emphasis on content and less technical media buying
- The upcoming economic crisis: marketing expenses are the first to be cleared in every crisis. Also, people focus more on essential & cheap purchases during those times.
So, I decided to learn to code.
I'm not really starting from scratch, as I have always been interested in this, so I know a few basics, but that's the first time I'm taking a "formal" class.
I'm pretty good with HTLM/CSS (not really coding tho) and have some decent basis in GDSCRIPT (very similar to Python but only used to make videogames). Other than that, I never really followed any structured course.
I bought a $20 course to learn Python on Udemy. So far it's very easy since I have the basics, but hopefully, it will start getting complicated soon (meaning I learn new things).
I choose Python because it's a popular language so there is lots of documentation about it, and it seems to be a good language for anything related to AI. No idea if I'll reach this stage but still good to learn something with potential.
My goal is to finish my course by the end of this month and start doing my own projects. Not sure what exactly, but whenever I see something that annoys me I write it down to come back to it later, so I'll pick from that. I'll probably take other courses later to consolidate my knowledge.
There is 36 section in the course, already 11 are done so far.
I made this post for public accountability and "force" me to do it regularly. It might also help people who want to get into coding to find some ideas to start. It's probably gonna be boring tho.
Worst case, I'd have learned a new skill that will be valuable. Combined with my already existing business and marketing skills (advertising, idea testing & prototyping, team management, customer study, manufacturing, etc...), I'm pretty sure that would give me a safety net for the upcoming crisis.
Of course, I'll still keep my existing marketing clients for now.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
