The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Becoming a developer in 2022: Progress thread

Learn how to build wealth and win financial freedom the Fastlane way!

Say "NO" to mediocre living rife with jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence. Join more than 70,000 entrepreneurs who are making it happen.
Join for FREE Today
Get the books
Remove ads? Join Fastlane INSIDERS
(Registration removes this block)
A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Jeannen

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Apr 9, 2020
France
This is the next part of my journey (first here), and since it will be very different from the previous one, I decided to make a new thread.

To give some context: I started entrepreneurship in 2017, became a freelancer, and got decent success.
I have ok income, not amazing but not bad either, and I can live quite comfortably since I moved to Indonesia to reduce my living costs.

During those years, I focused a lot on eCommerce and Marketing (which became my "job"), but I feel it's time to move to something else considering:
- The evolution of the market: ad costs rising like crazy, more emphasis on content and less technical media buying
- The upcoming economic crisis: marketing expenses are the first to be cleared in every crisis. Also, people focus more on essential & cheap purchases during those times.

So, I decided to learn to code.

I'm not really starting from scratch, as I have always been interested in this, so I know a few basics, but that's the first time I'm taking a "formal" class.
I'm pretty good with HTLM/CSS (not really coding tho) and have some decent basis in GDSCRIPT (very similar to Python but only used to make videogames). Other than that, I never really followed any structured course.

I bought a $20 course to learn Python on Udemy. So far it's very easy since I have the basics, but hopefully, it will start getting complicated soon (meaning I learn new things).
I choose Python because it's a popular language so there is lots of documentation about it, and it seems to be a good language for anything related to AI. No idea if I'll reach this stage but still good to learn something with potential.

My goal is to finish my course by the end of this month and start doing my own projects. Not sure what exactly, but whenever I see something that annoys me I write it down to come back to it later, so I'll pick from that. I'll probably take other courses later to consolidate my knowledge.
There is 36 section in the course, already 11 are done so far.

I made this post for public accountability and "force" me to do it regularly. It might also help people who want to get into coding to find some ideas to start. It's probably gonna be boring tho.

Worst case, I'd have learned a new skill that will be valuable. Combined with my already existing business and marketing skills (advertising, idea testing & prototyping, team management, customer study, manufacturing, etc...), I'm pretty sure that would give me a safety net for the upcoming crisis.
Of course, I'll still keep my existing marketing clients for now.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

bluffcatcher

Contributor
Dec 5, 2021
Why don't you learn JS if you already know CSS & HTML? Add PHP on top of it and congrats, you're a full-stack developer.
Also if you're gonna work as a developer, you'll need to move out of Indonesia because the salaries probably would be pretty low. You can try to work remote but most of the remote positions are for seniors, I haven't seen a lot of remote junior positions really. And you'd need a good portfolio for freelancing. I see you're French. Can you start a YouTube channel on coding and maybe sell courses? There's a channel called Coding Phase on YouTube. Doesn't have a lot of subs but I remember the guy saying he makes over $40k/m from his courses. He had his own website like Netflix and had bunch of courses in it. You don't have to be a senior master coder, just learn and teach what you learned as you go. 1000 students paying $10 a month is $10.000. And also the ad revenue wouldn't be so bad since France is not broke. I'm just trying to give you some ideas to make things a little more fastlane.

extraordwealth

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 12, 2014
This is the next part of my journey (first here), and since it will be very different from the previous one, I decided to make a new thread.

To give some context: I started entrepreneurship in 2017, became a freelancer, and got decent success.
I have ok income, not amazing but not bad either, and I can live quite comfortably since I moved to Indonesia to reduce my living costs.

During those years, I focused a lot on eCommerce and Marketing (which became my "job"), but I feel it's time to move to something else considering:
- The evolution of the market: ad costs rising like crazy, more emphasis on content and less technical media buying
- The upcoming economic crisis: marketing expenses are the first to be cleared in every crisis. Also, people focus more on essential & cheap purchases during those times.

So, I decided to learn to code.

I'm not really starting from scratch, as I have always been interested in this, so I know a few basics, but that's the first time I'm taking a "formal" class.
I'm pretty good with HTLM/CSS (not really coding tho) and have some decent basis in GDSCRIPT (very similar to Python but only used to make videogames). Other than that, I never really followed any structured course.

I bought a $20 course to learn Python on Udemy. So far it's very easy since I have the basics, but hopefully, it will start getting complicated soon (meaning I learn new things).
I choose Python because it's a popular language so there is lots of documentation about it, and it seems to be a good language for anything related to AI. No idea if I'll reach this stage but still good to learn something with potential.

My goal is to finish my course by the end of this month and start doing my own projects. Not sure what exactly, but whenever I see something that annoys me I write it down to come back to it later, so I'll pick from that. I'll probably take other courses later to consolidate my knowledge.
There is 36 section in the course, already 11 are done so far.

I made this post for public accountability and "force" me to do it regularly. It might also help people who want to get into coding to find some ideas to start. It's probably gonna be boring tho.

Worst case, I'd have learned a new skill that will be valuable. Combined with my already existing business and marketing skills (advertising, idea testing & prototyping, team management, customer study, manufacturing, etc...), I'm pretty sure that would give me a safety net for the upcoming crisis.
Of course, I'll still keep my existing marketing clients for now.
I also want to learn coding also. Can you guide me?

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jeannen

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Apr 9, 2020
France
I
Why don't you learn JS if you already know CSS & HTML? Add PHP on top of it and congrats, you're a full-stack developer.
Also if you're gonna work as a developer, you'll need to move out of Indonesia because the salaries probably would be pretty low. You can try to work remote but most of the remote positions are for seniors, I haven't seen a lot of remote junior positions really. And you'd need a good portfolio for freelancing. I see you're French. Can you start a YouTube channel on coding and maybe sell courses? There's a channel called Coding Phase on YouTube. Doesn't have a lot of subs but I remember the guy saying he makes over $40k/m from his courses. He had his own website like Netflix and had bunch of courses in it. You don't have to be a senior master coder, just learn and teach what you learned as you go. 1000 students paying $10 a month is $10.000. And also the ad revenue wouldn't be so bad since France is not broke. I'm just trying to give you some ideas to make things a little more fastlane.
I had to pick one so I choose Python haha, mainly because I already had some bases, and even if it’s out of reach for now, it’s one of the best language for AI apparently

I don’t plan to work as an employee unless I’m really in trouble, so I’ll just work on personal projects until I find opportunities, thus why I’m staying in Indonesia

I'd need a shitload of time to be able to learn other people to code, but not excluding the possibility in the future, who knows. I'd rather build a sellable asset tho

Last edited:

Jeannen

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Apr 9, 2020
France
18/05/2022

A bit more than halfway through my course. Things started to get more complex, so it means I'm learning.

Learning to code and making the course's exercises takes more energy than I thought, that's def not the kind of thing I could do while being hungover or sleep-deprived (at least for now).

My pattern to learn is:
  • Watch the course
  • If I find a new functionality or something I want to understand better, pause the video and make tests on my own
  • Make the exercises after each video
  • Take a 5-10 mins break after each complicated exercise (doing dumb stuff that doesn't require brainpower)

Jeannen

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Apr 9, 2020
France
19/05/2022

Made my first "real" program that interacts with online stuff. It's a dad joke generator that connects to an API to get the jokes and return a random one inside the program. Very basic but that allowed me to test all the concepts I learned so far

Jeannen

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Apr 9, 2020
France
23/05/2022

Seems like I've finished learning the base concepts of Python in my course, and I'm now starting the interesting parts.
The next module will be about web scrapping; Something that can provide a shitton of value if done right.

So far, I understood most of the concepts. There were a few things that didn't really make sense IMO but still understood them, so, I'm pretty happy about that. I'll probably hit a roadblock at some point, but it's expected

To give some context, I've been doing this almost all day every day since I started.
I wake up at 6:00 to go to the gym, then go back home and code until I go to sleep. Of course, I have to make "breaks" to eat, rest my mind and do client stuff, but overall, I'm mainly doing code.

Jeannen

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Apr 9, 2020
France
27/05/2022

Almost done with the course. Only 2 sections left. Web scrapping is absolutely amazing, I can now get pretty much any data I want from any website.

For example, I can program a bot that will navigate through every page on a website and find every single email address. Could make an amazing tool for lead generation, even tho it already exists.

I'm going to take an additional course later on Python Data Scrapping, but for now, I have the basics.

izajjj

PARKED
Read Unscripted!
May 20, 2022
Going to keep an eye on this thread as I'm on the same journey, you're making really fast progress!! Are you looking to go down the machine learning/AI route then?

I've been doing data science with Python/Power BI for the past 5 months and just starting to apply for jobs today, hopefully can then develop the skills further to be able to build an asset of somekind.

Keep on pushing man you got this.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Must Read Books...

Explore books recommended by MJ DeMarco and other members of the Fastlane entrepreneurial community.
Fastlane Bookstore