The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Back pain after a "good" night’s sleep.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
This sounds silly but are you certain it's bone/structural and not kidney or other pain? I've had kidney stones that felt like a back pain issue until they shifted, or kidney pain from certain diet issues. If you've eliminated that as a possibility, then good.
What is the test for kidney stones? Like some sort of scan or other?

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
Have you tried not sitting during work? I got a standing desk which made a huge difference for me.
I`ve never tried, but I got something like a bar counter that I can use to test this for a few weeks, see if that makes a difference.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
What kind of chiropractor did you see? They specialize in adjusting your atlas bone or did they do all of those strange contortions and play Twister with you?

Saw something several months ago which I found very interesting. I forget what the technique is called but it's taught by a doctor and supposedly gets rid of back pain quickly. Couple of videos about it:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABeBPHyW9H0&ab_channel=WBAL-TV11Baltimore

This one is a bit more comprehensive, but looks like it was filmed underwater (sorry):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jQtmSZetJM&ab_channel=YvanCampbell

Hope it helps you out.
Not really sure, just a regular chiropractor I think.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

OMDA

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Dec 21, 2017
FL
What is the test for kidney stones? Like some sort of scan or other?
For me they barely saw it on an xray. The pain shifted when it moved. For a while it disguised as back pain in the center/lower back then moved to the left side and I knew something was different.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
You're very likely stressed. Chronic pain is a result of chronic stress, they're two sides of the same coin.

The sleep isn't what's causing the pain, it's revealing to you what you need to pay attention to.

I'm afraid there's no simple answer or simple solution. What you need is awareness. You've likely not been paying attention to some factor of your being that is calling for adjustment, or change.

Here's what I would suggest: take a few days to do something out of your routine. Take a notepad with you and take inventory of the things you think about, what you worry about.

Try to lie down on a flat ground. Close your eyes to reduce sensory stimulation. Try to have continuous breathing cycles. And follow your thoughts, along with the urges to get out of your position. If you feel the sudden need to get up, to change position, to "adjust" yourself all of a sudden, take note of what thought preceeded the urge. Resist all urges to move, and practice surrender. If you can stay flat on the ground for about an hour, you will begin to identify the neural links between the physiological hold and the psychological reflection of it. And then you can release it.

All the best.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Try to lie down on a flat ground. Close your eyes to reduce sensory stimulation. Try to have continuous breathing cycles. And follow your thoughts, along with the urges to get out of your position. If you feel the sudden need to get up, to change position, to "adjust" yourself all of a sudden, take note of what thought preceeded the urge. Resist all urges to move, and practice surrender. If you can stay flat on the ground for about an hour, you will begin to identify the neural links between the physiological hold and the psychological reflection of it. And then you can release it.
This sounds like a New Age hippie lesson for people with too much time on their hands… don’t you have to buy some crystals too before you lie down? :eyes:

MarcusRich

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Jul 13, 2022
Indiana
I had something similar happen to me when I first started adjusting to my memory foam topper on the bed. It did go away over time, but further things I did to improve my sleep was sleeping on a side/stomach pillow that I could feed my arm under to not create nerve issues in my shoulder. That worked like a charm, after that I made sure to always have a 30 minute kindle (max warmth setting) reading session before bed, keeping my phone across the room. I have also dabbled a little with supplements, and generally they do nothing or make me groggy. For me, the key was understanding how I sleep most (stomach) and finding a way to make that as good and safe for my body as possible. Last thing, if you have at your disposal a Workout Anytime or Planet Fitness, I keep a WA membership premium tier just to use the hydromassage for 20 minutes (2 10 minute sessions back to back) 2-3 times a week and that has made a world of difference in how my body feels and recovers. While this is not a great option for many since it is expensive-ish it was a move I really am thankful I made. Goodluck! (I also find when I get great sleep I only sleep about 6.5 hours)

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
This sounds like a New Age hippie lesson for people with too much time on their hands… don’t you have to buy some crystals too before you lie down? :eyes:

Yes. Find the sharpest crystals, quartz ideally, and shove them up the a$$. Helps bring the chakras in order as you transcend into Brahman. :rofl:

Many new age hippy bullshitters have exploited the words "yoga" and "meditation" to the point that the suggestion of a holistic approach gets bucketed into guru nonsense.

But what I'm suggesting is not esoteric or mysterious in nature. It is bounded by hard sciences. We quite literally are our muscular contractions. Physical pain is an interoceptive sense input, which is tied to the nervous+musculoskeletal systems and every other part of the fabric.

Chronic pain is reflective of habitual patterns of faulty muscular contraction. Consider the second law of thermodynamics, conservation of energy, and think about our antigravity muscles. How we hold ourselves in space determines how we use our energy. Faulty patterns of motion (psycho and somatic) result in discontinuities within the fabric, and the resultant effect we perceive is pain (which serves as a cue for change).

So back to my point: if OP is experiencing chronic pain, there is something in his habitual patterns of motion that are causing discontinuities in his body. If he can't identify the physical pattern, then, as I suggested, there is a likelihood that it is a psychological one he is neglecting. To identify the stressor, he can reduce the number of stimulations in order to magnify his kinesthetic senses.

Lying down = reduction of muscular contractions deployed for the purposes of balance in 3D space.
Closing eyes = reducing of muscular contractions from the input and interpretation of light input.
Focus on breathing = narrowing in on how sense input turns into perception
Resisting the urge to move = linking the attractor formations within nervous system to the psychological perceptions of them (biofeedback)

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Yes. Find the sharpest crystals, quartz ideally, and shove them up the a$$. Helps bring the chakras in order as you transcend into Brahman. :rofl:
Haahaaaaha love it! :rofl:

I don’t doubt what you’re saying, but how much difference does it REALLY make?

For example… a lot of people nowadays are doing things like meditation for better performance in business. Maybe meditation does increase your performance… but the gains are marginal. Maybe such marginal gains may be relevant for truly world-class performers where even a 0.1% increase is relevant, but for everyone else there are much better ways to improve performance.

And the better ways are just practicing the basics. Diet, fitness, you know, the boring stuff. It’s same like in sales… maybe there are some esoteric techniques that increase your persuasiveness, but if there are, the gains are marginal. You’re better off just hopping on more and more sales calls and practicing the basics… building rapport, identifying needs, relating needs to solutions, convincing the buyer, etc. of course, all these things are boring.

But the mystical woo woo stuff is interesting… that’s why it attracts so many. Just my 2 cents after having spent a lot of time involved in woo woo stuff, practicing different practices and so on :)

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
I don’t doubt what you’re saying, but how much difference does it REALLY make?

It makes all the difference. Please allow me to explain.

For example… a lot of people nowadays are doing things like meditation for better performance in business. Maybe meditation does increase your performance… but the gains are marginal.

I thought this too at some point - this was when I was practicing using "headspace" app, guided "meditations" and a host of other nonsensical things that never made a noticeable difference in my life.

Consider a stressed person: he will hold his body tight, shoulders up in a knot, head forward, sitting in an uncomfortable position, hating their life and their boss all day, and then go "meditate" for 10 minutes and wonder why their life is not different. The reality is: how you do one thing is how you do everything.

When you do "meditation" or "yoga" the right way - you're doing it always. It's not a 10 minute break to "let go", it is a continuous level of self-awareness that provides immediate feedback and corrective functions to somebody that's present. Any stressor is made obvious, and can be addressed. Some of the benefits of this mode of operation: for example, I can focus for hours on end without getting distracted, I can exercise for 3 hours every day without getting sore, I can meander difficult conversations, controversial subjects, and neurotic people with less issues. The list of what I can do continues to grow with my awareness of HOW I do things.

The practice I described in my previous post is to help someone become aware of their habitual pattern of being. I have many other practical approaches that I'm turning into a coherent structure to offer people that struggle with chronic pain.

And the better ways are just practicing the basics. Diet, fitness, you know, the boring stuff. It’s same like in sales… maybe there are some esoteric techniques that increase your persuasiveness, but if there are, the gains are marginal. You’re better off just hopping on more and more sales calls and practicing the basics… building rapport, identifying needs, relating needs to solutions, convincing the buyer, etc. of course, all these things are boring.

I agree with you: the basics are of utmost importance. Diet, fitness, and the boring stuff, like how you exist every moment. This is neglected. Think about this:

How long can you go without food? Maybe a week or two (diet is important)
How long can you go without water? I would suggest a week at most (water is important)
How long can you go without moving? Trick question - it's impossible. We are always moving. (movement in important)
How long can you go without air? 60 seconds? Yet - this most important aspect of being is completely neglected and considered woowoo bullshit. (breathing is importantest)

So back to the basics: HOW we move. HOW we breathe. HOW we exist in this moment, determines the shape of our being. If we hold our breath subconsciously, we will feel angst, and we will "move". The physical displacement of ourselves can affect the activities we can sustain. You can't do real work if every 2 minutes you quite literally move your hand, finger, click away, get up, look at the ceiling, etc. If you hold yourself in a mathematically definable suboptimal pattern, you will literally deplete your energy trying to hold yourself in space, and whatever you could accomplish otherwise if you could just be, is gone before your eyes.

I'm committed to helping people become self-aware - the promise of what we can accomplish if we don't get in our own way is immense. The benefits seem elusive at first, yet they determine everything about our experience of life.

If this seems incoherent today, please excuse my earnest and early approach at synthesis of over 2 years of work behind the scenes. Further clarity will ensue as this is the main body of my work for the foreseeable future. Feel free to DM me if you're curious but don't want to derail from OP's request for help.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
It makes all the difference. Please allow me to explain.

I thought this too at some point - this was when I was practicing using "headspace" app, guided "meditations" and a host of other nonsensical things that never made a noticeable difference in my life.

Consider a stressed person: he will hold his body tight, shoulders up in a knot, head forward, sitting in an uncomfortable position, hating their life and their boss all day, and then go "meditate" for 10 minutes and wonder why their life is not different. The reality is: how you do one thing is how you do everything.

When you do "meditation" or "yoga" the right way - you're doing it always. It's not a 10 minute break to "let go", it is a continuous level of self-awareness that provides immediate feedback and corrective functions to somebody that's present. Any stressor is made obvious, and can be addressed. Some of the benefits of this mode of operation: for example, I can focus for hours on end without getting distracted, I can exercise for 3 hours every day without getting sore, I can meander difficult conversations, controversial subjects, and neurotic people with less issues. The list of what I can do continues to grow with my awareness of HOW I do things.

The practice I described in my previous post is to help someone become aware of their habitual pattern of being. I have many other practical approaches that I'm turning into a coherent structure to offer people that struggle with chronic pain.

I agree with you: the basics are of utmost importance. Diet, fitness, and the boring stuff, like how you exist every moment. This is neglected. Think about this:

How long can you go without food? Maybe a week or two (diet is important)
How long can you go without water? I would suggest a week at most (water is important)
How long can you go without moving? Trick question - it's impossible. We are always moving. (movement in important)
How long can you go without air? 60 seconds? Yet - this most important aspect of being is completely neglected and considered woowoo bullshit. (breathing is importantest)

So back to the basics: HOW we move. HOW we breathe. HOW we exist in this moment, determines the shape of our being. If we hold our breath subconsciously, we will feel angst, and we will "move". The physical displacement of ourselves can affect the activities we can sustain. You can't do real work if every 2 minutes you quite literally move your hand, finger, click away, get up, look at the ceiling, etc. If you hold yourself in a mathematically definable suboptimal pattern, you will literally deplete your energy trying to hold yourself in space, and whatever you could accomplish otherwise if you could just be, is gone before your eyes.

I'm committed to helping people become self-aware - the promise of what we can accomplish if we don't get in our own way is immense. The benefits seem elusive at first, yet they determine everything about our experience of life.

If this seems incoherent today, please excuse my earnest and early approach at synthesis of over 2 years of work behind the scenes. Further clarity will ensue as this is the main body of my work for the foreseeable future. Feel free to DM me if you're curious but don't want to derail from OP's request for help.
I’ll DM you, sure I’m interested to discuss.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
A little update on things.

No I did not have kidney stones, but with winter approaching I think I have an answer.
I`m not 100% sure, but the backpain is almost gone now.

A very noticable reduction in pain happened when summer ended and I could sleep without air conditioning.
I have a guess that my back was very cold during the night, and thats what caused it.
I usually did wake up with a cold back, but I didnt pay attention to it, and even after warming up, the pain didint go away, so I assumed the two were unrelated.
They might be though, sleeping with covers and no constant draft (damn you modern air conditioners!) I think is what fixed it.

MarcusRich

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Jul 13, 2022
Indiana
Yes, I workout 4-5 times per week for about 1.5-2 hours.
I have a routine, so I always hit the back at least once per week.
So I normally don't sleep for more than 4-6 hours. I am not sure why but that is how my body functions on an American Diet. However, when doing a low carb/ketogenic/carnivore diet I find I can easy sleep 8-9 hours after only 1-2 weeks of the diet change. I am not sure why this is but I know the best sleep I ever get is when I am doing Keto and dont drink anything after 8-9pm and sleep around 11/12pm. I would say give that a shot and see if it is something in your diet. I have also tried hostage tape. Which while I do like it and it stops my snoring which my wife likes I have not noticed that improving my sleep nearly as much as a no/low carb diet. Give it a shot and let me know if that makes a difference

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.