The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

AZ / Arizona Photo Radar - Get Out Of That Ticket!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Where did he/she get served? You can't be answering doorbells!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CactusWren

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Jan 5, 2008
Arizona
Hey,

Resurrecting this thread because I just got a ticket in mail. Went to Phoenix 2 weeks ago for a soccer tournament.

What's the latest on this?

Thanks,

PS Googling leads me to believe the suggestions here still hold true.

More PS One more reason to have your company own your car: http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2007-02-08/news/gotcha/1

Last edited:

ScottHardy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Mar 29, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Some additional points. Friends who have been served often report that:

• It usually happens after 1 PM.
  • Typically they'll try to serve you three times. Morning, Afternoon and late afternoon (~4 - 5 PM.)
  • Almost always happens on a Saturday afternoon if they missed you once during the week.
  • The process servers sometimes look like a neighbor in khaki's and Tommy Bahama type shirt or a door to door painter, carrying a set of tools.
  • The process servers sometimes stuff the paperwork in the small of their back, UNDER their shirt, so they're not holding anything in their hands and look innocuous.
  • The process servers sometimes look like a delivery person and HAVE been know to wear a UPS, FedEx or other shirt. THIS IS NOT ILLEGAL! They can't say "UPS" or "US Postal Service" but as long as they don't identify themselves as an employee of a trademarked company it's technically legal to wear the shirt. CHECK FOR THE UPS TRUCK BEFORE OPENING THE DOOR!
  • The Process Server may be dressed like a door to door salesman but is holding UPS/FedEx or other type of Express Envelope. THAT ENVELOPE MAY CONTAIN THE PAPERWORK THEY'RE SERVING YOU!
  • If you have the stereo or TV cranking, or the windows open, and they SEE YOU or have good reason to think you're home, but you don't answer the door, they may leave the paperwork on the door. Consider yourself served. This can be challenged, but, it's an up-hill battle and may be lost.

As stated above, the best idea is to avoid getting the door. If you get served you'll pay an extra $25 (~$10 of which goes to the Process Server) and MUST take care of the ticket. You can't avoid it once you get served. If you don't take care of the ticket your license may be suspended and you could even have a bench warrant issued for your arrest.

That's all I've got for now. Phoenix just added a Red Light camera which ONLY takes pictures of people who roll through a right turn onto 40th Street when the light is red from Pecos in Ahwatukee. Dozens of people get this ticket EVERY DAY! A friend of mine who works for the City got the ticket and paid it. They got stuck in traffic school for a half day with more than 50 other people! Most of who got the same dumb ticket for not fully stopping at the red light on 40th and Pecos before turning right. Keep in mind, there's almost never ANY traffic going Northbound through the light who could potentially hit a person. It was added as a revenue generator. NOT for any safety reasons.

I hope this helps! Please note, THIS SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED LEGAL ADVICE. I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY. I just work with them.

Thanks,
Scott

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
Hey,

Resurrecting this thread because I just got a ticket in mail. Went to Phoenix 2 weeks ago for a soccer tournament.

Thanks,

More PS One more reason to have your company own your car: Gotcha! - Page 1 - News - Phoenix - Phoenix New Times

Cactus-

Of course I'm not going to suggest that you follow my lead... but I've had about... well... damn near a dozen of these "tickets" mailed to me (it's goes with the job) I think they tried to serve me on one... haven't paid anything to date.

In initial figures, over 90% of the people who received the tickets paid them of their own volition. A friend of mine in town in the know said that due to budget constraints, they are only pursuing tickets for criminal speeders -a puny 11mph over that triggers the flashbulb doesn't qualify. So what's criminal speeding? I found out whilst getting pulled over for it on my last sport bike: 20mph over the posted speed in AZ -most states (like the one I moved here from) are 30mph over posted limits.

Good luck! Keep us posted on any ominous figures that come knocking :)

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I got served by an old lady at 7:30pm when it was dark outside. Now I'm never opening the door for an old lady again, even if I see her car with the hood up in the street!

My friend was served around 5:00pm by a guy dressed in regular clothes.

Definitely don't pay the ticket, wait to get served. Do the EV calculation. :)

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Hey,

Thanks,

More PS One more reason to have your company own your car: Gotcha! - Page 1 - News - Phoenix - Phoenix New Times

Wait you live in Tucson right? I wouldn't worry about it at all then. I don't think they serve outside the county.

LondonLife

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Jan 8, 2010
London
You guys have it lucky.

We have 12 points on our license. You get 3 points and a £60 fine for minor speeding and up to 6 for major speeding... all points last for 3 years. If you reach 12 you are suspended for 6 months.

If a camera catches you there is no argument. You pay, or go to jail.

Fortunatly in the UK speed cameras are so prevalent and such a pain in the a$$ that all GPS systems beep and warn you when you're approaching one. The wonders of technology eh? The government also got into trouble for hiding them beind bridges etc, so now the law is they have to be in the open and painted in flourescent red and yellow stripes. If you get caught here, you just aren't taking enough precautions.

ScottHardy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Mar 29, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
One more note, if you live outside the county you can and likely WILL still be served. Now the larger counties (Maricopa and Pima) and cities (Phoenix, Scottsdale and Tucson) are utilizing nationwide process server companies. I have a buddy who got a ticket in Phoenix and was served in New York City. Ouch. The Internet gives us power to grow our businesses. Even businesses we don't like. ;)
Now a process server outside Arizona is just an email away from attempting to "serve" you.

Thanks,
Scott

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Just got one of these in the mail from my recent Vegas roadtrip ... I probably got a few more coming to me since I thought they turned the damn cameras off ... guess they didn't! I was "caught" doing 76 in a 65 ... OMG, I'm such a speed demon! 11 miles over! Oh well, good luck finding me ARIZONA!

emorgan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jul 24, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
My friend works for/owns the company that installs the cameras. The funding comes from the companies paying to have them installed, in hopes to create revenue from the tickets.

While they are still putting in cameras in places like Houston, a month ago, he said they received a TM order to take the AZ ones down! LOL

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Just got one of these in the mail from my recent Vegas roadtrip ... I probably got a few more coming to me since I thought they turned the damn cameras off ... guess they didn't! I was "caught" doing 76 in a 65 ... OMG, I'm such a speed demon! 11 miles over! Oh well, good luck finding me ARIZONA!

Where did this happen? I-10?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Yea, I-10 near the airport. 7:42 in the morning ... on my way to Surprise.

w4rl0rdx

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Sep 2, 2009
Michigan
Woah, this thread is still being updated so as long as it is I think that I may have found somthing to that would contribute to it.

Just a few months ago I noticed they started putting cameras up on all 4 corners of a couple of our buisy intersection which pisses me off!

I told someone that I talk to around here about that and they told me about this website, http://www.phantomplate.com They have a "Reflective Cover" or some "Photoblocker Spray" crap that when the cameras snap a picture if your plate it gets whited out... Anyone care to order one of those and let me know if it works??

PS: Im not affiliated with this product whatsoever and was planning on ordering some before christmas. I am just slightly skeptical but the sales page is pretty convincing.

Check it out. :cheers:

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Not sure about the spray but I have tried the plate cover. Got pulled over 3 times in my vette with one. The cops in Texas don't like covers over either license plate. There is a state law against it. I got less flack for not having a front tag than I did for having a cover over that back tag.:fastlane:

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
You would be better off using infrared LEDs to blind the camera. I have seen at some point a setup where someone attached high intensity infrared leds to a strobe device so you get a huge blinding strobe effect - to cameras.

To see how this works, point a remote at your computer's camera and press a button. This is how night vision cameras work.

I'm glad they put cameras on your busy intersections, war.

w4rl0rdx

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Sep 2, 2009
Michigan
Bleh, I would start a big long post about politics and "big brother" but I don't want it to get taken down.

So I guess ill just ask, why are you happy that all these cameras are getting put up everywhere? from my point of view they are not really doing much good besides giving the police an easier job. (more on police in a sec) Its not like they are going to stop people from getting into accidents or whatever any other points may be.

The police force in my state (Michigan) at least has been Drastically reduced, I cant speak for everyone else. But from my point of view instead of putting up cameras so everyone can be lazy why dont we hire more Police, Medical, W/E staff Stimulate the economy and create more jobs.

We as a society have become Completely addicted to technology and its being accepted like a good thing. ...I beg to differ...

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Bleh, I would start a big long post about politics and "big brother" but I don't want it to get taken down.

So I guess ill just ask, why are you happy that all these cameras are getting put up everywhere? from my point of view they are not really doing much good besides giving the police an easier job. (more on police in a sec) Its not like they are going to stop people from getting into accidents or whatever any other points may be.

The police force in my state (Michigan) at least has been Drastically reduced, I cant speak for everyone else. But from my point of view instead of putting up cameras so everyone can be lazy why dont we hire more Police, Medical, W/E staff Stimulate the economy and create more jobs.

We as a society have become Completely addicted to technology and its being accepted like a good thing. ...I beg to differ...

:sarcasm/ON:

I completely agree w/you.

I mean, I HATE using:

-washing machines
-clothes dryers
-ovens
-stove tops
-toasters
-microwaves
-fast food and restaurants
-clothing stores (hey, make yer own darn clothes!)
-telephones
-computers
-cars (hey, horses were great! So what if they pooped all over the road?)
-hospitals (just let people die already!)
-airplanes (just WALK!)
-TV
-Video games
-water purification plants (just drink beer, it's worked for thousands of years!)
-mechanized agriculture (shoot, just plant a few damn seeds. It's not that hard . . .)
-poultry and beef farms (again, get yourself a barn, and do it yourself)

I could go on and on and on . . .

:sarcasm/OFF:

Bottom line, we live in a global economy and technology is our friend, if we use it wisely.

Technology can make things faster, easier, and USE A LOT LESS LABOR.

I grew up in Detroit during the 60s and 70s. I saw, first hand, how technology changed the face of the car building business. Japan started using robotic production methods and figured out how to dramatically reduce the # of man hours needed to build a car. Sure, we had our "show robots" for car buidling-- but the unions still had guys on the payroll (part of the contracts), even if the robot replaced them.

In one particular example, a robot was able to produce an entire day's worth of parts (what used to take 8 hours) in less than 45 minutes. So the operator came in, turned on the machine, and left an hour later. He got paid full salary-- as if he worked an 8-hour day-- b/c his particular job was provided for in the UAW contract. The car manufacturers *still* did this, even though they were spending so much on labor (8-10x what they needed to), because the robotically produced products had less defects and were much higher quality/consistency.

I would argue that part of the reason we are in a "jobless recovery" is that when the spit hit the fan, lots of employers laid off any and all unnecessary workers, and used technology to fill the gaps whenever possible (that's what we're doing at our business, in part).

Notice I say IN PART-- I fully realize that part of the reason so many are out of work is that the economy has slowed down.

But ask yourself: If you can increase productivity and do it w/technology instead of labor, why not?

Think about it:

-Technology doesn't need a lunch break
-or vacations
-or weekends off.

-Technology can work 24/7, and not complain.

-Technology can often do things FASTER and CHEAPER than humans (increasing productivity, which is the key to pulling out of any recession)

-Technology does not get tenure

-Technology can be replaced/changed/upgraded with no emotional impact to the technology

-Technology does not file lawsuits

-Technology cannot get injured/does not need worker's compensation

-Technology does not get a mandatory retirement plan or a 401K, or health care

We run a very high-touch business (bed and breakfast). People stay here specifically because we offer a more human touch than hotels/motels/resorts.

So when I talk about all of the above, I'm not saying we need to make things more cold/sterile, or that we need to remove the "human factor"-- quite the contrary:

We need to use technology to increase our quality time spent with other people.

Cameras are a perfect example of that.

They watch for the law breakers. If you don't speed, run reds, hit other cars, or kill pedestrians, you don't have to worry about them.

Let's say you really like to go fast.

There are oftentimes LEGAL solutions to personal preferences.

For instance:

If you want to race, you could go to a racetrack.

If you want to go fast on public highways, you could move to Germany.

If you want to go faster than the speed limit on your local roads, be prepared to pay the fines/tickets, and eventually have your license revoked (on the fastlane, we call that limo time! ;) ).

Just take responsibility for your actions.

If you break the rules/law where you live, just be ready to buck up and face the consequences.

Your choice.

-Russ H.

w4rl0rdx

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Sep 2, 2009
Michigan
You sir, make some excellent points. :coolgleamA:

emorgan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jul 24, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Got my first one right after posting on here about this! FML lol

G

Guest3722A

As a resident of Michigan, I haven't seen the decrease in the police force myself. In fact, I know the State boys just hired a few hundred extra troopers but I also know that Detwat is drastically under-staffed, even though they say that they need to hire over 700 new officers (which is why I applied and went through a great deal of the process until I blew out my achilles) but, 25-30 cops every 6 months don't cut it.

In my area, north of the armpit of the country, Detwat, the population exploded over the past few years and prior to the economic crises, I believe it was either Macomb or Oakland County that was the number one county in growth in the entire Country only a few years back so it's understandable why the police force needed to be increased. The unfortunate thing that is starting to occur now seeing that the price of real estate has dropped so much is that the population of Detwat is decreasing and good upstanding subs of Detwat are starting to increase in population....and guess what? THE CRIME RATE IS STARTING TO GO UP OUT HERE!! And the new (laughable) statistic for Detwat is that the crime rate is going down. Uhhhh... 1+1=

Something from this thread that kinda made me laugh though was the 'don't answer the door' statement. It's funny because I haven't answered the door for the past 10 years! Who comes to the door anyway that you really care to talk to?

ITiTanium02I

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 28, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I refer to this technique of using speed cameras as Poaching.

I drive through AZ a couple times a year to get to NM on the 40 and those cameras are everywhere. The last time I drove through there I was driving behind a 18-wheeler that started swerving in its lane a little bit to much for my comfort. So I did what any logical sports car driver would do and shifted the car into the manual "Drive Sport" mode (feature on the BMW) and smashed the gas till I passed him. But right as I reached the front of the truck the speed camera flashed me, luckily I have no front license plate and I was able to hide on the side of the truck preventing the camera to capture my rear plate. It has been nearly a year since the incident and have not received a ticket from AZ so I should be in the clear now.

veli

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Jun 11, 2008
Well, we've had speed cameras in Norway, and as much as they are annoying only more and more are coming up. No wonder since its gives the government a lot of extra dough. Just to show you how expensive it is to speed the going rate for going say 15km/h over in a 60km/h zone will give you a fine of 6.500 norwegian crowns (thats a bit more than 1000 USD). And actually, if you are in the high income bracket you could get fined more (there was once a millionaire who got fined approx 20.000 USD for speeding). The gov. here in Norway actually rakes in more than the equivalent of 140 million USD each year in speeding fines (remember, this is a small country with 4 million inhabitants).

BUT, what bugs me the most is the fact that they are now implementing more and more cameras to measure the average speed of the car. So say you go from town A to B. On that road you know there are say 6 cameras. With normal driving you hit the brakes before the cameras and put the metal to the pedal after passing the cameras. But, with the new system they measure the average speed. So if you get from camera 1 to say camera 4 quicker then you "should", you will be fined. Big Brother is here already...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.