The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Awakening

rob_c316

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Nov 28, 2022
Hello everyone. My name is Rob. I am 30 years old and discovered this forum through reading TMF and am relieved to have the possibility to learn from others. I think coming into the right mindset (i.e. seeing the sidewalk and slowlane for what it is) is an important first step and I'm glad to have gotten here. I know there are still many things to learn and am looking forward to filling in the gaps. I know one thing I struggle with for now is seeing opportunity the way entrepreneurs see it. I feel as if most businesses start from some kind of skill (such as a general contractor breaking away from his company to start his own). Having never found my "home" per se in my work experience (as I jumped to and from different industries), I hope that this won't be a hindrance. It gives me a sense of analysis paralysis to not having a starting point.

My question for anyone able to offer advice is how do you sift through and find ideas for starting a business if you don't have a determined starting point? What kind of resources do you use for doing this kind of research?

I'm not opposed to doing research and I'm not expecting all the answers to be given to me. I am more so looking to build a foundational understanding that can save me time reinventing the wheel. I look forward to being able to learn and grow with you all.
Thank you!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
Welcome,

Many start based solely on their skill/experience/passion, but if there is no unmet need among customers to be fulfilled, this usually fails to thrive.

I don't mind getting into something new, as long as I have a way to learn quickly and the activity is tolerable according to my personality.

The topic of ideas and how to find them has been discussed endlessly in this forum, so I suggest exploring it. The CENTS principles are good for estimating the potential of a business idea. The combination of the idea's potential and the quality with which you execute it, creates the outcome. It is therefore not enough that you understand the market, but also that you understand what you are capable of.

For thinking and developing ideas, it important to focus. To focus is to free yourself from distractions, not to stare at a problem and agonize. I suggest, when you have an idea, write it down. Your concious mind will let go of the idea (freeing up your memory and removing distraction) and your subconcious will keep developing the idea as you go about your day. The best ideas are improvements upon previous ideas. Completely new inventions and revolutionizing technology are usually empty promises. Just copy what works and see how you can improve it slightly. It is an iterative process, not an 'eureka!' event.

G

Guest116255

Hello everyone. My name is Rob. I am 30 years old and discovered this forum through reading TMF and am relieved to have the possibility to learn from others. I think coming into the right mindset (i.e. seeing the sidewalk and slowlane for what it is) is an important first step and I'm glad to have gotten here. I know there are still many things to learn and am looking forward to filling in the gaps. I know one thing I struggle with for now is seeing opportunity the way entrepreneurs see it. I feel as if most businesses start from some kind of skill (such as a general contractor breaking away from his company to start his own). Having never found my "home" per se in my work experience (as I jumped to and from different industries), I hope that this won't be a hindrance. It gives me a sense of analysis paralysis to not having a starting point.

My question for anyone able to offer advice is how do you sift through and find ideas for starting a business if you don't have a determined starting point? What kind of resources do you use for doing this kind of research?

I'm not opposed to doing research and I'm not expecting all the answers to be given to me. I am more so looking to build a foundational understanding that can save me time reinventing the wheel. I look forward to being able to learn and grow with you all.
Thank you!
Besides looking for problems which people want solutions to, I recommend trying new activities. There is things you might not know you're good at until you try them, whether that be writing, graphic design, social media growth, and many other things. Its important to know that with these types of activities, otherwise known as "talents" you would have to be exceptionally good at them, or at the very least market them quite well to make up for the lack of talent. So although solving a problem or offering a solution may be a good way to go about building a business, definitely do not overlook the idea of finding or developing a talent and spending a few months to put yourself ahead of the majority. The best part about business based upon talent is that usually they are hard to replicate. I may be good at writing and that cannot be replicated, the same applies for graphic design. This is much different if I were to mass produce a product which requires little ability to make. That said, never forget the importance of marketing the talent. If nobody knows your abilities exist, nobody will want them!

AppleCider

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Nov 27, 2022
Welcome, Rob,

You've managed to put many of my thoughts into words better than I ever could have. I'm going to be watching these responses with interest. If I learn anything of value that can answer your questions, I'll be sure to share it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

rob_c316

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Nov 28, 2022
Welcome,

Many start based solely on their skill/experience/passion, but if there is no unmet need among customers to be fulfilled, this usually fails to thrive.

I don't mind getting into something new, as long as I have a way to learn quickly and the activity is tolerable according to my personality.

The topic of ideas and how to find them has been discussed endlessly in this forum, so I suggest exploring it. The CENTS principles are good for estimating the potential of a business idea. The combination of the idea's potential and the quality with which you execute it, creates the outcome. It is therefore not enough that you understand the market, but also that you understand what you are capable of.

For thinking and developing ideas, it important to focus. To focus is to free yourself from distractions, not to stare at a problem and agonize. I suggest, when you have an idea, write it down. Your concious mind will let go of the idea (freeing up your memory and removing distraction) and your subconcious will keep developing the idea as you go about your day. The best ideas are improvements upon previous ideas. Completely new inventions and revolutionizing technology are usually empty promises. Just copy what works and see how you can improve it slightly. It is an iterative process, not an 'eureka!' event.
Thank you for your response and not hounding me for asking something that is commonly asked. I came to post an introduction before exploring the rest of the forum and can now see that it is a common topic.

I have started to make note of any ideas that come to mind; One, so that I don't forget it and Two, so that I can write additional notes if I think of anything to add to it later. I'm glad that this is something used by others as well.

rob_c316

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Nov 28, 2022
Welcome, Rob,

You've managed to put many of my thoughts into words better than I ever could have. I'm going to be watching these responses with interest. If I learn anything of value that can answer your questions, I'll be sure to share it.
Something I found while looking through the forum that I think will be useful is MJs video on how to get started with no skills or money. I've linked it in case you haven't stumbled upon it yet. It's nice to meet you and look forward to learning more with you

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...