The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My awakening

Awoken

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Dec 12, 2021
Hi everyone, hope you’re well. It was recommended I introduce myself so why not

I’m a 19 year old university student (UK) who, until recently, always saw life going one way … I would get a job after my degree and live happily ever after. I have been committed to school and education since I can remember, and always have obtained top grades. I’ve always felt great about this, and felt my future was positive with a good career.

However, recently I feel like my mind has had an awakening as I have discovered a different world filled with entrepreneurship and independence.

I do have a small history of entrepreneurial characteristics being displayed. When I was young, I would buy and sell items in games I would play to make profits of the in game currencies. I loved it! And prior to my ‘awakening’, I was flipping items online to make a bit of cash for myself whilst studying. I recognise these are ways of a money chaser, and I recognise I went through a period of frantic money chasing.

I have finished reading TMF and it has fuelled my desire to explore entrepreneurship more. Although, I sense confusion in myself… I think this is because I have subscribed to the idea of post degree employment for my whole schooling life, and this alternative pathway suddenly manifesting itself before me is shocking.

I plan to read a plethora of books and invest time into this forum, whilst simultaneously finishing my studies. Besides this, I currently have no direction regarding entrepreneurship.

Another point is I still feel my money chasing ways ticking in the back of my head too. The TMF version I received was not the updated version, so I wasn’t able to read MJs views on the crypto era. Crypto and NFTs were targets of my frantic money chasing, as I heard all the stories of young millionaires who has invested in cryptos before they had ‘mooned’. I now feel that the real victors of crypto and NFTs are the early producers/investors, and that it they are not something to focus on to generate wealth but to maintain wealth and income… but I would love to know what everyone’s thoughts are, and MJ’s in the updated TMF!

Thank you for reading and your time, any interaction is appreciated greatly

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Another point is I still feel my money chasing ways ticking in the back of my head too. The TMF version I received was not the updated version, so I wasn’t able to read MJs views on the crypto era. Crypto and NFTs were targets of my frantic money chasing, as I heard all the stories of young millionaires who has invested in cryptos before they had ‘mooned’. I now feel that the real victors of crypto and NFTs are the early producers/investors, and that it they are not something to focus on to generate wealth but to maintain wealth and income… but I would love to know what everyone’s thoughts are, and MJ’s in the updated TMF !

My view of crypto...

Welcome to the forum

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
Hi everyone, hope you’re well. It was recommended I introduce myself so why not

I’m a 19 year old university student (UK) who, until recently, always saw life going one way … I would get a job after my degree and live happily ever after. I have been committed to school and education since I can remember, and always have obtained top grades. I’ve always felt great about this, and felt my future was positive with a good career.

However, recently I feel like my mind has had an awakening as I have discovered a different world filled with entrepreneurship and independence.

I do have a small history of entrepreneurial characteristics being displayed. When I was young, I would buy and sell items in games I would play to make profits of the in game currencies. I loved it! And prior to my ‘awakening’, I was flipping items online to make a bit of cash for myself whilst studying. I recognise these are ways of a money chaser, and I recognise I went through a period of frantic money chasing.

I have finished reading TMF and it has fuelled my desire to explore entrepreneurship more. Although, I sense confusion in myself… I think this is because I have subscribed to the idea of post degree employment for my whole schooling life, and this alternative pathway suddenly manifesting itself before me is shocking.

I plan to read a plethora of books and invest time into this forum, whilst simultaneously finishing my studies. Besides this, I currently have no direction regarding entrepreneurship.

Another point is I still feel my money chasing ways ticking in the back of my head too. The TMF version I received was not the updated version, so I wasn’t able to read MJs views on the crypto era. Crypto and NFTs were targets of my frantic money chasing, as I heard all the stories of young millionaires who has invested in cryptos before they had ‘mooned’. I now feel that the real victors of crypto and NFTs are the early producers/investors, and that it they are not something to focus on to generate wealth but to maintain wealth and income… but I would love to know what everyone’s thoughts are, and MJ’s in the updated TMF!

Thank you for reading and your time, any interaction is appreciated greatly
Hey mate, welcome! One piece of advice I wanted to give you that you might want to consider is to get a job in marketing such as Google ads, Facebook ads, tiktok ads, etc, preferably. The reason is that, it's the closest thing that you will to entrepreneurship unless you work for a startup. You will spend 8 hours a day working a full time job so may as well do something that is productive and will make you grow everyday and contribute to reaching your end goal.

Additionally, when it comes to launching your own business, you will already have skills in place instead of investing a lot more additional time into it. Also you will get paid while not risking your own capital, this is pretty amazing imo haha, wish I did it earlier.

Since you are 19 it probably will be most likely very tough, so to make the process easier you could start something like freelancing, or a eCom side hustle ( will need your own capital) to get experience to get your foot into the door at a junior level position.

Awoken

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Dec 12, 2021
Hey mate, welcome! One piece of advice I wanted to give you that you might want to consider is to get a job in marketing such as Google ads, Facebook ads, tiktok ads, etc, preferably. The reason is that, it's the closest thing that you will to entrepreneurship unless you work for a startup. You will spend 8 hours a day working a full time job so may as well do something that is productive and will make you grow everyday and contribute to reaching your end goal.

Additionally, when it comes to launching your own business, you will already have skills in place instead of investing a lot more additional time into it. Also you will get paid while not risking your own capital, this is pretty amazing imo haha, wish I did it earlier.

Since you are 19 it probably will be most likely very tough, so to make the process easier you could start something like freelancing, or a eCom side hustle ( will need your own capital) to get experience to get your foot into the door at a junior level position.
Hi LiveEnt, thanks for the detailed advice! And thank you for the welcome :) I have a couple questions if that’s ok.

When you say I will already possess skills, are you suggesting developing a business in the same or similar sector to what I am studying at university? Or are you referring to more broad, personal skills such as communication skills or financial skills which I should or should not invest time into improving?

Moreover, are you making reference to the marketing jobs or to starting a business when you say you would be payed whilst not risking capital? If you’re talking about the jobs, how do they differ to an alternative 9-5 job?

Until recently, I did used to have a ‘side hustle’ buying and selling certain items… I have currently ceased this though as I felt it would significantly eat into my time used for researching and reading into starting a (fastlane) business. Perhaps I should reevaluate this and try to do both?

Thanks again :smile2:

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
Hi LiveEnt, thanks for the detailed advice! And thank you for the welcome :) I have a couple questions if that’s ok.

When you say I will already possess skills, are you suggesting developing a business in the same or similar sector to what I am studying at university? Or are you referring to more broad, personal skills such as communication skills or financial skills which I should or should not invest time into improving?

Moreover, are you making reference to the marketing jobs or to starting a business when you say you would be payed whilst not risking capital? If you’re talking about the jobs, how do they differ to an alternative 9-5 job?

Until recently, I did used to have a ‘side hustle’ buying and selling certain items… I have currently ceased this though as I felt it would significantly eat into my time used for researching and reading into starting a (fastlane) business. Perhaps I should reevaluate this and try to do both?

Thanks again :smile2:
Hey, no problem. So what I was referring to with getting skills is getting marketing skills. Marketing and sales are the most important skill in business but I'd say for you to learn marketing as your next business will probably be online and won't have to be cold calling strangers or stuff like that, so less selling is required.

You could get a job in copywriting as well which is pretty much selling in writing, writing appealing sentences to your potential customer to convince them to buy. Doesn't matter what you pick in my opinion in terms of wanting to be a Google ads expert for example or a copywriter as they are both critical skills.

The side hustle is great you should definitely keep that going but since you will probably have to get a full time job to fund your side hustle, it only makes sense to get a job that will help you reach your end goal in one way or another, also you will reach your goals much faster. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Awoken

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Dec 12, 2021
Hey, no problem. So what I was referring to with getting skills is getting marketing skills. Marketing and sales are the most important skill in business but I'd say for you to learn marketing as your next business will probably be online and won't have to be cold calling strangers or stuff like that, so less selling is required.

You could get a job in copywriting as well which is pretty much selling in writing, writing appealing sentences to your potential customer to convince them to buy. Doesn't matter what you pick in my opinion in terms of wanting to be a Google ads expert for example or a copywriter as they are both critical skills.

The side hustle is great you should definitely keep that going but since you will probably have to get a full time job to fund your side hustle, it only makes sense to get a job that will help you reach your end goal in one way or another, also you will reach your goals much faster. Let me know if you have any other questions.
What do you perceive the benefits of a side hustle being besides additional income?

Currently, I see it as merely a money chasing time waste - time I could instead be using for reading

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
What do you perceive the benefits of a side hustle being besides additional income?

Currently, I see it as merely a money chasing time waste - time I could instead be using for reading
I’ve built a small business to handle my living expenses. That way I have no job and free time to focus on my main one. Makes it easier when everything is paid for and you don’t need to pull money out of a business that needs it to grow.

Awoken

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Dec 12, 2021
I’ve built a small business to handle my living expenses. That way I have no job and free time to focus on my main one. Makes it easier when everything is paid for and you don’t need to pull money out of a business that needs it to grow.
That is what I have been considering aiming towards. How much time do you put into your small business each day/week? Or is it self sustainable?

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
That is what I have been considering aiming towards. How much time do you put into your small business each day/week? Or is it self sustainable?
A couple of hours a week, if that. Most of it is just packaging the orders and taking them to the post office.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
Side hustle doesn't have to be money chasing, it can be meaningful and purposeful. You actually have it sort of the wrong way around. Reading all the time is a huge waste of time, you should be spending the majority of your time working towards your goal and reading as a secondary. Ovbiously you will need to do reading on certain topics you don't understand about (that is related to your goal) but I'm assuming you are referring to self-help books and stuff like that? If so, that should not be the main focus.

Boogie

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Nov 27, 2014
Midwest, USA
Side hustle doesn't have to be money chasing, it can be meaningful and purposeful. You actually have it sort of the wrong way around. Reading all the time is a huge waste of time, you should be spending the majority of your time working towards your goal and reading as a secondary. Ovbiously you will need to do reading on certain topics you don't understand about (that is related to your goal) but I'm assuming you are referring to self-help books and stuff like that? If so, that should not be the main focus.

100% If you've read any of MJ's books, that's enough to get going on all but the most technical or regulated things. Understand CENTS to get a feel of how to judge what you want to do and then get moving. Many of us who waited, blew opportunities. I blew a couple really big ones. Get the hustle going. You can read a few pages per night before bed, but work the business during the day. You're coming out of school mode.

I think LiveEntrepreneur also worded it previously as a job and not a side hustle. Either will help, but if there is a job available working for someone else doing what you want to do as a business, you will get paid to be trained by them. They won't know that they are training you as an entrepreneur, but you'll get a chance to watch what is going on and learn the inside stuff. If you haven't dealt with customers, co-workers, issues at work, and how to provide the products or services you want to provide, you'll get a chance to see it first hand with a job. So you can roll that into your company and have a lower learning curve. Then you have to make it a point to get to the point you can start your company quickly. Or you can just wing it and start with what you know doing your own thing. Either works, but getting going with actual customers sooner than later either way is very important to getting your company up and going.

Awoken

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Dec 12, 2021
100% If you've read any of MJ's books, that's enough to get going on all but the most technical or regulated things. Understand CENTS to get a feel of how to judge what you want to do and then get moving. Many of us who waited, blew opportunities. I blew a couple really big ones. Get the hustle going. You can read a few pages per night before bed, but work the business during the day. You're coming out of school mode.

I think LiveEntrepreneur also worded it previously as a job and not a side hustle. Either will help, but if there is a job available working for someone else doing what you want to do as a business, you will get paid to be trained by them. They won't know that they are training you as an entrepreneur, but you'll get a chance to watch what is going on and learn the inside stuff. If you haven't dealt with customers, co-workers, issues at work, and how to provide the products or services you want to provide, you'll get a chance to see it first hand with a job. So you can roll that into your company and have a lower learning curve. Then you have to make it a point to get to the point you can start your company quickly. Or you can just wing it and start with what you know doing your own thing. Either works, but getting going with actual customers sooner than later either way is very important to getting your company up and going.
Whenever I see the term side hustle I instantly associate it with something purely for extra cash, like buying and reselling items (not long term). I can see now the benefit from one, or a job, if it would provide beneficial knowledge for a long term business.

I think TMF was very informative, especially for myself who is essentially a beginner to this side of business. However, I still feel there is much for me to learn regarding finances, economics, marketing, etc.

Are you saying the best way to do this is to jump into a marketing job/beneficial side hustle whilst starting a business and learn as I go? Or am I likely missing fundamental skills that I should learn before this?

I feel like the latter is true and instinctually want to focus on reading a lot, but this is likely my schooling brain being biased! I can see why self help books would be a time waste, but topics like the previous stated seem significant to read about.

I really appreciate all your feedback and advice thank you everyone :smile2:

fridge

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jun 4, 2020
USA
Ditch the books besides MJs books and maybe 5 or so other entrepreneural books. I can give you a few recommendations if you're interested. As another poster said, get a part time job in marketing or possibly sales. These are the building blocks to your entrepreneurship journey. Also, start a local serviced based business. Can you cut lawns? Pressure wash? Clean gutters? Hang christmas lights? Can you do any of these activities for 10-25 hours a week? Great, you just found a way to make $1000/week with little work while learning about local service businesses.

Awoken

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Dec 12, 2021
Ditch the books besides MJs books and maybe 5 or so other entrepreneural books. I can give you a few recommendations if you're interested. As another poster said, get a part time job in marketing or possibly sales. These are the building blocks to your entrepreneurship journey. Also, start a local serviced based business. Can you cut lawns? Pressure wash? Clean gutters? Hang christmas lights? Can you do any of these activities for 10-25 hours a week? Great, you just found a way to make $1000/week with little work while learning about local service businesses.
Hi fridge, yes I would very much like a list of book recommendations thanks :) I’m going to look into marketing/sales part time jobs, I definitely think that’s worth doing now.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...