The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Avoiding losing out to PayPal

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
My son in law has read many reports of PayPal emptying bank accounts and it has made him nervous, so I searched the forum and found
Bank account tied to PayPal? Beware.

As a result I suggested that he remove his CC details from his PayPal account, and transfer the bulk of his bank account to his credit card account. Interest rates are pathetically low, so he will only lose peanuts, but if I am correct, he will save almost all of his money should PayPal decide as they have done to hundreds of merchants, to take from his bank account every cent they can.

It should also protect him from hackers who get into his PayPal account.

He could achieve the same result by opening another bank account, but the red tape with his bank is a real pain.

If anyone can see a flaw in my idea, please post a correction.

Walter

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I try to keep my paypal use to a minimum because of their aggressive unfair policies.

But buyers love them because of their almost unconditional favorability towards buyers. As if only sellers are the scammers.

Never would i give paypal my banking information. If im the victim of somekind of aggressive "policy" what am i gonna do sue them? Yea no thanks.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Sorry, but why would Paypal empty people's bank accounts for no reason?

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
All my payments for my cooking classes on skillshare and udemy get processed through PayPal....

Something to think about that's for sure, gotta look into this.

Thanks for the information Walter!

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
My son in law has read many reports of PayPal emptying bank accounts and it has made him nervous, so I searched the forum and found
Bank account tied to PayPal? Beware.

As a result I suggested that he remove his CC details from his PayPal account, and transfer the bulk of his bank account to his credit card account. Interest rates are pathetically low, so he will only lose peanuts, but if I am correct, he will save almost all of his money should PayPal decide as they have done to hundreds of merchants, to take from his bank account every cent they can.

It should also protect him from hackers who get into his PayPal account.

He could achieve the same result by opening another bank account, but the red tape with his bank is a real pain.

If anyone can see a flaw in my idea, please post a correction.

Walter
As far as I know, PayPal could take hold of funds that you have IN your PayPal account. However, they cannot use the CC or bank account you have attached to pull money into your PayPal account without your approval. Doing so would be the equivalent of theft. PayPal does not have the authorization required to submit orders on your behalf to your bank. In any case, if this happened you should be able to go to your bank, dispute the transaction, and get it reversed.

So you should be safe so long as you don't hold money in your PayPal account, and instead pull them back to your bank account.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
You can't operate a business PayPal account unless you link either your bank account or credit card.

One of the conditions for having a PayPal Business account is that you allow them the right to withdraw funds from your linked CC or linked bank account.

This is to cover any shortfall if say, a customer claims a refund and Pay Pal pay that refund, but your PayPal account doesn't have sufficient funds to cover the amount.

All sorts of scams take place and the amount involved can be substantial, and PP always side with the customer. As a result they can withdraw the total amount they are refunding. That could exceed your bank balance, with the result that you are hit with an overdrawn fee.

PayPal will then process a second withdrawal within a week, and you will be hit with another overdrawn fee.

Search online and you will find a huge number of stories about PayPal's draconian policies and because they are not registered as a bank your only redress is to sue. I don't know of any cases. Surprise surprise.

They can and do at their whim freeze your account, so never leave money in your PayPal account.

Walter

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.