The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Audiobooks - Reclaiming your time

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
One of the things I love about The Millionaire Fastlane is that it's the book MJ said he would have wanted to be handed that day at the ice cream shop.

One of the many things I wish I had stumbled upon earlier in life is audiobooks.

I've been trying to read a book a week for the last ten years. I've done pretty well at that, but it's hard. You have to find the time to read. I would try and read with my head hunched over into my phone while reading a book on kindle walking to lunch. I would try and read while going to bed and fall asleep doing so (which has to be great for retention rates). I would try and read while doing cardio at the gym. I even tried it on a tablet. I did a lot of trying over those years.

Since I got on the audiobook train, I've been reading two books a week without even trying.

Driving to work? I listen to an audiobook.
Go to lunch? I listen to an audiobook.
Drive home from work? I listen to an audiobook.
Cook dinner? I listen to an audiobook.
Taking out the trash? I listen to an audiobook.
Cleaning up my cat's shit? I listen to an audiobook.
Taking a break from life and playing a video game (Rocket League or Steep!)? I listen to an audiobook.

According to my app's stats, I somehow find an extra 15 hours each week to read. That's 15 hours I used to spend on stupid mundane aspects of life that I've turned into a learning opportunity.

I use Audible with a Platinum membership and re-up at about $9.50 a book. I have the wireless Galaxy Icon X headphpones and got the new Galaxy Buds with my S10+, so I'm fully untethered. At the pace I read at, I typically get through about two books a week, or 80-120 books a year. This makes it possible to read nearly everything that people are talking about. Principles by Ray Dalio? Got it. Measure What Matters to learn about OKRs? No problem. Simon Sinek? Sure there was his TED talk, but do you know about Leaders Eat Last? Market Wizards who? Bullshit stories that all success is luck by Malcolm Gladwell? Mmhmm.

Ultimately, it ends up being a $1000 investment a year to turn your 780 mundane hours of life into a learning opportunity. Would you invest $1.28 an hour to improve your life?

I do.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

prady

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Apr 11, 2019
I was inspired by this post and just signed-up for a free trial account of Audible (it had an option of logging-in using my Amazon account).

Never knew Audible was an Amazon Company!

So which books do you recommend I listen to first?

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
One of the things I love about The Millionaire Fastlane is that it's the book MJ said he would have wanted to be handed that day at the ice cream shop.

One of the many things I wish I had stumbled upon earlier in life is audiobooks.

I've been trying to read a book a week for the last ten years. I've done pretty well at that, but it's hard. You have to find the time to read. I would try and read with my head hunched over into my phone while reading a book on kindle walking to lunch. I would try and read while going to bed and fall asleep doing so (which has to be great for retention rates). I would try and read while doing cardio at the gym. I even tried it on a tablet. I did a lot of trying over those years.

Since I got on the audiobook train, I've been reading two books a week without even trying.

Driving to work? I listen to an audiobook.
Go to lunch? I listen to an audiobook.
Drive home from work? I listen to an audiobook.
Cook dinner? I listen to an audiobook.
Taking out the trash? I listen to an audiobook.
Cleaning up my cat's shit? I listen to an audiobook.
Taking a break from life and playing a video game (Rocket League or Steep!)? I listen to an audiobook.

According to my app's stats, I somehow find an extra 15 hours each week to read. That's 15 hours I used to spend on stupid mundane aspects of life that I've turned into a learning opportunity.

I use Audible with a Platinum membership and re-up at about $9.50 a book. I have the wireless Galaxy Icon X headphpones and got the new Galaxy Buds with my S10+, so I'm fully untethered. At the pace I read at, I typically get through about two books a week, or 80-120 books a year. This makes it possible to read nearly everything that people are talking about. Principles by Ray Dalio? Got it. Measure What Matters to learn about OKRs? No problem. Simon Sinek? Sure there was his TED talk, but do you know about Leaders Eat Last? Market Wizards who? Bullshit stories that all success is luck by Malcolm Gladwell? Mmhmm.

Ultimately, it ends up being a $1000 investment a year to turn your 780 mundane hours of life into a learning opportunity. Would you invest $1.28 an hour to improve your life?

I do.

Ha! Thought I was the only one who used audiobooks to survive cat shit cleanings. So glad we don't have cats anymore. I use audiobooks during all of these same scenarios except going to and from work. When I used to work I'd listen to them on the drive though.

Two Audible features it took me a long time to realize were valuable are the 30 seconds skip (mainly for going backward because sometimes I zone out and miss stuff) and the button that let's you increase the speed of the narrator.

The book I'm reading now was hella slow so I sped the guy up 1.15x and it's just about right. Happened with the last book too. Had to go to 1.25x. Gotta find the balance between speed and absorption of the material.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
So which books do you recommend I listen to first?
Principles: Life and Work by Ray Dalio is my favorite book. It's like 12 Rules for Life, but from a methodical billionaire.

Lex DeVille said:
The book I'm reading now was hella slow so I sped the guy up 1.15x and it's just about right. Happened with the last book too. Had to go to 1.25x. Gotta find the balance between speed and absorption of the material.
Same! I tend to go between 1.25x and 1.6x depending on how slow the narrator is and how fast I need to receive info to pay attention in that moment. I never advise people speed up to get through a book faster. Whatever speed feels like a natural conversational speed, that's the speed to listen at, and those narrators read very slow!

Siddhartha

Pleasure Operator
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Mar 30, 2019
Having audible is like a cheat code. I took the suggestion from someone in the book thread and do most books at about 1.70x; this helps me crunch through some of the 500-page monsters in a decent amount of time.

So far audible has helped me take down 3 18 hour reads, and I'm starting on thinking fast and slow today (18h,31m).

redshift

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Sep 4, 2018
I've recently gotten hooked on audiobooks as well, mainly to fill in the gaps (commute etc).

I don't think they are a substitute for books though and some books still have a much greater impact when read (and are easier to scan or come back to a certain section etc ), but I use it extensively for books on my "someday" or "not highest priority" list and ones I've read before and know are worth reviewing again.

I personally tend to lean towards books read by the author (eg: TMF ). The level of enthusiam and energy doesnt seem to be present otherwise when read by a narrator and usually puts me to sleep haha.

I also sometimes read and listen to a book in the same time period. I've noticed it improves retention and makes more of a lasting impact by adding an additional dimension to the learning process.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Bullshit stories that all success is luck by Malcolm Gladwell? Mmhmm

I always wondered how this idiot got so popular.

I can concur. Audiobooks are fantastic. I listen while I drive and when I'm out and about. I must also say, laying down on the couch in my office with a physical book lowers the blood pressure more.

I buy books irrespective of cost. I already spent a quarter million on college. What is a grand a year?

Last edited:

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
I don't think they are a substitute for books though and some books still have a much greater impact when read (and are easier to scan or come back to a certain section etc )
Agreed! Some books would be terrible in audio format. For example, any book that is highly dependent on diagrams, samples, or math, isn't cut out for the audio format. Others, such as Principles, are methodically laid out as a resource you should look back on. For those, I also pick up the Kindle edition.

Last edited:

Frank H.

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Dec 22, 2018
Audible is definitely worth the value. My value code = Money Spent/ Hours using the book lol. So $15/ 20hrs = .75c (nothing wrong with being robotic lol). Also, could use an enjoyment scale from 1-10 in the value code.

It would be cool if they could gamify it more in the future. Perhaps more badges, rewards, and quizzes if you finish reading a chapter or listen to a book for a specific amount of time. I'm definitely enjoying Audible, however, it would be cool to see new features and updates.

kristkaa

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
238%
May 15, 2015
Estonia
I would try and read while doing cardio at the gym.
Hope you didn't try it while driving a car :)

I personally tend to lean towards books read by the author (eg: TMF ). The level of enthusiam and energy doesnt seem to be present otherwise when read by a narrator and usually puts me to sleep haha.
I've noticed the same. Some professional narrators sound like a speech synthesis soft. But haven't listened to a monotonous narration by author yet.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
Am I the only here who cannot do both things at the same time? (lets say workout and listen to audiobooks effectively) Even though I like audibooks, I feel my retention of what I read is much higher compared to when I listen.
You are not alone. I can only do the first 20 minutes of a cardio session or incline walking on a treadmill after the workout. Hitting high intensity cardio or lefting I space out. Plus, I feel like good, powerful music helps you push harder when it counts.

FullTimePreneur

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Sep 6, 2015
Jersey City

+1 for the increased speed. I typically listen to audiobooks at 1.5-1.75x normal speed. There's a lot of great articles out there on speed listening that break down the facts that your brain can comprehend words at a faster rate than what is spoken. Comprehension starts be reduced at 2x speed, I believe. This obviously depends on the subject matter and what activity you may be doing as well.

Bonus: I also do the same for podcasts (and use the trim the silence feature). The screenshot below shows the amount of time I saved from podcasts only! And this doesn't even fully represent everything since I got a new phone in 2018 and my stats didn't carry over from the old phone.Screenshot_20190425-142436.png

richstone.io

API and Automation Engineer Growing SaaS
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Jan 28, 2019
Barcelona
Having audible is like a cheat code. I took the suggestion from someone in the book thread and do most books at about 1.70x;

I always start at 2 - 2.5 and go down gradually if I miss stuff. I always wonder how sometimes my brain adopts to 2.2, especially in my native language.
And by the way, there is training involved too, so that you'll get better at "speed listening" with time.

Am I the only here who cannot do both things at the same time? (lets say workout and listen to audiobooks effectively)

I find it crazy as well like OP is playing games and listening to books at the same time
However, if you have light walks or jogs with an audiobook, my retention rate is amazing. Also, sometimes I am at a place where I have listened to a certain passage of a book and I will exactly remember the words and emotions I had.
Any other activity which you have fully mastered and don't need to waste thoughts on, so you can totally focus on the book, will work too.
Funny enough, just sitting still or lying on the couch and trying to focus on a book is very difficult for me.

Frank H.

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Dec 22, 2018
It is definitely enjoyable to go on scenic walks and listen to audiobooks. A "twofer", I exercise and gain valuable wisdom at the same time. I make sure to add bookmarks to the parts of the book that I might not retain and then go back to the bookmarks. Hoping for more innovation in the future.

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
I listen to audio books almost exclusively anymore. I am reading one real estate hardback at the moment but listen to 2 or 3 books weekly.
Generally, I listen to 90% at 1.8X, and once in awhile 2X if it is not business related.
It's like slow motion if I listen at normal speed anymore.

I do the same with youtube vids only at 1.5X

Retention? I feel it is about the same as I used to retain when I listened at normal speed, but I haven't personally tested that myself.

I rarely listen to music anymore unless I'm writing, which is rare. Audio books have replaced music for me, at least for the moment.

Would be open to experimenting with uploading knowledge to my brain if possible. :smuggy:

Scientists Claim to ‘Upload Knowledge Into the Brain’ Using Matrix-Style Device

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
I find it crazy as well like OP is playing games and listening to books at the same time
Have you played Rocket League on Casual or Steep? Pick any spot in Steep and the playing is on autopilot. Plenty of mental space to focus on something else.

Retention? I feel it is about the same as I used to retain when I listened at normal speed, but I haven't personally tested that myself.
Try listening at 1x speed. I can't pay attention. It's like listening to George Bush give a speech. I forget what they're talking about. Speed it up to 1.5x+ and I'm all of a sudden engaged.

business_man

In Love With Marketing
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 25, 2014
I hear a lot of people love audio-books and I can't quite start to love it. I think this is why:

1. Different people comprehend information differently (so I heard). So it suites to someone who gets info better by listening.

2. The way most people use audiobooks violates 100% involvement principle. We can call it ZEN stuff if you want or whatever.

More and more I find the importance of being present in the moment and it is easier to be present when you put your whole effort in what you do at that moment. If I exercise I exercise if I eat I eat and when I learn I learn.
And like author mentioned usually people use audiobooks when they eat, exercise or do some other stuff. It is probably because of "be super effective, do 100 things at once, do more" bullshit. In my experience when you do stuff 100% you do it better and faster and you actually get more time, so by doing less, you do more, kinda :D

This not necessary apply for women, I hear they are good at multitasking, not sure :D Hope this will not be considered as a sexism :D :D

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
I don't think they are a substitute for books though and some books still have a much greater impact when read (and are easier to scan or come back to a certain section etc ), but I use it extensively for books on my "someday" or "not highest priority" list and ones I've read before and know are worth reviewing again.
I've started using Audible for my first read. If it seems like a book I want to reference later, I'll buy a hard copy.

I'd never get through my reading list without being able to listen to them instead of just reading them.

Wiggly0607

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 1, 2013
Ohio
Check your local library too. Every place I've lived recently I've been able to check out audiobooks (and eBooks) through the Overdrive app.

I love audiobooks, too. Mostly history and health and biographies. For other books, like MJ's, I like physical copies, because I have to put them down, write down notes, or just sit there and ponder what I just read and how it will change my life.

It's a fun treat to pick several audiobooks out at the library (via app on my IPhone) and then pick them up on the way home from errands, and listen to them. Some are good, some are crap (and sometimes a good audiobook is ruined by having a narrator who inhales helium, or has GURD issues), but I plow through them easily. AND, I'm always reading something hard copy, also.

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
Who goes for listening and reading at the same time? I have heard this technique being used by some people for maximum retention but I am not sure too much noise lol.

Guest921Y

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
187%
Apr 2, 2019
I love audiobooks, but I find is that if I’m listening to an audiobook, I tend to get distracted or daze off and realized I haven’t been paying attention for the past few minutes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wiggly0607

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 1, 2013
Ohio
Who goes for listening and reading at the same time? I have heard this technique being used by some people for maximum retention but I am not sure too much noise lol.

That seems like a waste of energy to me. You don't need to retain everything in the book, just the most important parts.

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
Audiobooks are great! I love them.

Though I find that for some books, I need to read to absorb them. Audio just doesn't do it. For others, I pause often to reflect and manipulate what I read in my mind (which removes to the convenience) .

Another hack I use to "reclaim my time" that pair well with audiobooks is productive meditation (taken from Deep Work book). The idea is to take a problem and mentally working on solving it, while doing other physical activities.

What I do is, at certain points of an audiobooks, I will pause and take time to think about what I have learned from the book. How it compares to my existing knowledge? How I can use it? What I don't agree with.... Etc.

Kinda making my listening more active. Does wonder for understanding and retention.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
1. Different people comprehend information differently (so I heard). So it suites to someone who gets info better by listening.
My eyes aren't the greatest, so I have a hard time reading. I also recently found out while being a test subject during some visual tracking software, that my eye movement patterns match that of someone with dyslexia. That didn't stop me from physically reading a book a week for nearly 8 years. The more I read, the better I got at it, too. My only warning here is I've seen a lot of people use "different learning styles" as an excuse not to do something.

2. The way most people use audiobooks violates 100% involvement principle. We can call it ZEN stuff if you want or whatever.

More and more I find the importance of being present in the moment and it is easier to be present when you put your whole effort in what you do at that moment. If I exercise I exercise if I eat I eat and when I learn I learn.
And like author mentioned usually people use audiobooks when they eat, exercise or do some other stuff. It is probably because of "be super effective, do 100 things at once, do more" bullshit. In my experience when you do stuff 100% you do it better and faster and you actually get more time, so by doing less, you do more, kinda :D
I may be looking into your zen comment too much, but I find zen a terrible way to live. The basic premise is that life is suffering, so the best way to alleviate that suffering is to eliminate thought altogether. For instance, I don't think "living in the present moment" is a good strategy to put together a diversified stock portfolio. You need to think about multiple things at once and think about the past and future. I also don't think there is any value to gain from "putting my whole effort" into picking up my cat's shit or taking the garbage out. If you read my other comments, I hint at there being a threshold for focus. I don't suggest listening too fast or multitasking with another activity that requires your mental focus. There is a time and place to put your whole effort in, but I don't believe that is all moments.

When I code, I code.
When I surf, I surf.
When I lift, I lift.
When I watch a movie, I watch the movie.
When I go to dinner with friends, I'm at dinner with them, not on my phone.
When I go in a float tank, I float.
When I need to think, I lay down in bed and think.

When I do basic, mundane, mindless shit, I listen to audiobooks.

business_man

In Love With Marketing
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 25, 2014
My eyes aren't the greatest, so I have a hard time reading. I also recently found out while being a test subject during some visual tracking software, that my eye movement patterns match that of someone with dyslexia. That didn't stop me from physically reading a book a week for nearly 8 years. The more I read, the better I got at it, too. My only warning here is I've seen a lot of people use "different learning styles" as an excuse not to do something.

Well excuse would be not to read probably :) Whichever method you use is based on personal preference, isn't it? :)

I may be looking into your zen comment too much, but I find zen a terrible way to live. The basic premise is that life is suffering, so the best way to alleviate that suffering is to eliminate thought altogether. For instance, I don't think "living in the present moment" is a good strategy to put together a diversified stock portfolio. You need to think about multiple things at once and think about the past and future. I also don't think there is any value to gain from "putting my whole effort" into picking up my cat's shit or taking the garbage out. If you read my other comments, I hint at there being a threshold for focus. I don't suggest listening too fast or multitasking with another activity that requires your mental focus. There is a time and place to put your whole effort in, but I don't believe that is all moments.

When I code, I code.
When I surf, I surf.
When I lift, I lift.
When I watch a movie, I watch the movie.
When I go to dinner with friends, I'm at dinner with them, not on my phone.
When I go in a float tank, I float.
When I need to think, I lay down in bed and think.

When I do basic, mundane, mindless shit, I listen to audiobooks.

Shit... We will gonna go down the rabbit hole with this one :D Probably not the topic of the thread.

I called ZEN mindset sine ZEN is well-known term :) I am not 100% sure about ZEN philosophy, but from what I learned and experience about mindfulness and meditation - you have to watch the moon, not the finger :) Which means you have to get the experience it suggests, instead of learning the concepts. Then all those things become clear. But lets keep it to another topic or DM :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.