The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Atlas Shrugged - Week 2: Chapters 3-4

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Atlas Shrugged - Week 2: Chapters 3-4

It’s FRIDAY!!!
Ya’ll ready to rumble? Let’s do this thing!!

Chapter 3
The most expensive barroom in New York is just like a cellar. Inside we find James Taggart, Orren Boyle, Wesley Mouch, and Paul Larkin. Orren “appeared from nowhere 5yrs ago and has since made the cover of every national news magazine” His 200 mil dollar loan from the government gives him authority in business. Orren and James come to an understanding.

Dagny was nine when she knew she’d be running Taggart Transcontinental and she has proceeded to lead in every position she’s gotten. She longs for a keen mind to pit herself against or befriend but instead her biggest adversary is ineptitude.

The first policy James began when he took over the presidency was the construction of the San Sebastián line leading into Mexico and more specifically into the mines Francisco d’Anconia found there though they have yet to produce anything.

Eddie Willers chats w/ a worker, confessing things he wouldn’t tell anyone else. We discover that Taggart Transcontinental is doing very poorly and that only by fixing the Rio Norte Line will they be saved.

Chapter 4

McNamara, the main contractor hired by Dagny to repair the Rio Norte Line, has quit. Dagny is tired, goes home to listen to the music of Richard Halley’s 4th Concerto and sobs quietly after spotting news that d’Anconio is in town to witness the farce of his mistress on trial.

James Taggart gloats to his vapid “friend” Betty Pope that today he will meet w/ the board of directors to put his sister in her place but instead, he gets an emergency call from Mexico.

James takes the credit for Dagny’s foresight when he explains to the Board about Mexico nationalizing the property and then suggests firing two ppl who helped implement the San Sebastián Line.

The members of the National Alliance of Railroads pass the Anti-dog-eat-dog Rule. “The Rule provided that the members of the NAR were forbidden to engage in practices defined as “destructive competition”. This will ruin Conway.

Dagny visits Dan Conway, owner of the Phoenix-Durango. She insists he fight the Rule. He responds defeatedly, “It’s up to you now.”

Ellis Wyatt visits Dagny and declares that Taggart Transcontinental (TT) must be as good at their business as he is or else.

Dagny visits Hank and asks him if he can deliver the rail in nine months. He says yes.

My Thoughts:
Wtf do you think is going on with the rats in the cellar?!?
Explain in your own words the stupid Dog Eat Dog Rule, please?
Didn’t Dagny do simply great at shifting things around for the railroad?!
Poor Dan Conway..
Rearden is everything sexy about a dangerous man who accomplishes things.. normally I would feel a great deal of compassion towards him because he is so alone (I work with guys like this every week) .. but Rearden .. Rearden reminds me of a samurai blade. Nice to look at but don’t bring it home..

I can’t wait to talk about this one specific quote Dagny said but I’ll let you guys jump in first.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
The tension is starting to get to me ha!

Clearly things are building up to a massive breaking point - like the image of the oat tree earlier in the book.

It is clear that something bigger is going on behind the scenes too. There are some "INSIDERS" who are purposely either making sure things fail and/or removing the people who can help.

I think the talk in the canteen area with the "staff" person shows there are spies/informants in the organization and that someone is pulling the strings elsewhere.

I can't see the logic in why James purposely wants things to fail but it is looking like that is the case.

I also wasn't expecting the romance/sex angle - Dagny clearly is yearning for some "real man" action ha.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Soooooo much tension!! And Paul Larkin!! Wtf?!?!?

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Aug 13, 2018
James Taggart, Orren Boyle, Wesley Mouch, and Paul Larkin. Orren “appeared from nowhere 5yrs ago and has since made the cover of every national news magazine” His 200 mil dollar loan from the government gives him authority in business. Orren and James come to an understanding.
The understanding they came to feels like a sinister plot to use Washington as the lever to take Rearden down.

But Wesley Mouch!?!?! Is REARDEN'S Washington man!?!?!

At that line, I was like, wait, whaaaat?

So is he double crossing Rearden? Or is he spying on the competition?

~

The anti dog eat dog rule basically said that if there is competition between two companies in an area, the company with the most seniority in the area gets the business. Clearly targeted at the Phoenix Durango.

~

So prediction: right when Dagny is desperately trying with all her might to save Taggart Transcontinental by barely getting the Rio Norte line done in 9 months, Washington is going to be conspiring against Rearden to make him unable to deliver the steel. Will he find a way to deliver it anyway? How?

~

I found the section very interesting where Dagny turned on her record of Halley's 4th concerto and it gave more details about Halley. So he reached the pinnacle of his fame and then promptly retired, never to be heard from again. That was 8 years ago. So he would have had plenty of time to write a 5th concerto. Maybe he's in some obscure little town somewhere, and only the locals know who he is, but that young man whistling on the train was exposed to his work. I'm guessing that Halley will come up again. I hope Dagny gets to meet him.

~

It's interesting to observe the gloomy, "everything is breaking down and running out" attitude in the book. Like, I wonder if Ayn Rand actually feared that "natural exhaustion of the mines, you know" (-Orren) would bring national progress and development to a grinding, catastrophic halt. I wonder if many people felt that way in the 50s. I look back on the 50s as a period of such abundance.

It makes me wonder what ways our current attitudes are skewed, and if there are ways that we are acting on unfounded fears that are so ingrained in our culture, we don't bother to question them.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I can definitely feel this having this book having some real-life impact already.

I have been thinking a lot more about legacy, leadership, and values over the last few days.

Anyone else on a similar vibe?

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018

reedracer

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 2, 2019
Kansas City
I can definitely feel this having this book having some real-life impact already.

I have been thinking a lot more about legacy, leadership, and values over the last few days.

Anyone else on a similar vibe?
Oh, yeah, I work for a Taggert Trancontinental whose CEO just got 'promoted' to the EU commission. The reality of these archetypes is insane.

I'm loving reading this book!

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
James Taggart suuuucks.

I know, everyone me else already said it it. Maybe George RR Martin spoiled me, I was really hoping for some grade A level schemer.

Instead he is the giant man baby everyone said he was last time. Just took me a couple chapters to catch up. I hate him. I feel bad for Dagny for being related to him.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Oh, yeah, I work for a Taggert Trancontinental whose CEO just got 'promoted' to the EU commission. The reality of these archetypes is insane.

I'm loving reading this book!

I cannot fathom having to deal with ppl like this!! All my clients talk about their stress and the petty bs they have to deal with in the corporate world and I’m the super sheltered chill person over here who walked out of the only white collar job I ever had after a total of 28 minutes.

I’m putting you on the comfy couch and serving you hot chocolate. This book would be horribly depressing if it related to ANY part of my real life! Keep your chin up my friend! Lol

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Oh and d’Anconio must be the biggest shmuck pos in the world. He made Dagny ugly cry!!! AWFUL man!! I hope somebody kicks him in the balls.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
James Taggart suuuucks.

I know, everyone me else already said it it. Maybe George RR Martin spoiled me, I was really hoping for some grade A level schemer.

Instead he is the giant man baby everyone said he was last time. Just took me a couple chapters to catch up. I hate him. I feel bad for Dagny for being related to him.

GRRM is a very different kind of writer.

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Anyone else surprised at the pace of the book? For a book that's 1,600 or something pages, I was expecting some of these events to happen a little later.

I think we are in for a wild wild ride.

And what's with the competent men quitting? McNamara is the latest. Did "they" get to him like they got to Conway? And I am as surprised as Dagny that Conway wouldn't fight back.

Lastly, I don't trust Reardon. I think he all but confirmed @Primeperiwinkle 's theory.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Ok I can’t help myself, plus I have a whole day of work and won’t have time to type anyway. I think I found something we can argue about! Rofl

Italics are me saying those parts really slowly while holding my caramel macchiato!

Do you agree with these?? Why or why not?!?

On the bottom of pg 87 “This, she knew, was a tribute to her, the rarest one person could pay another: the tribute of feeling free to acknowledge one’s own greatness, knowing that it is understood.”

And

“If joy is the aim and the core of existence, she thought, and if that which has the power to give one joy is always guarded as one’s deepest secret, then they had seen each other naked in that moment.”

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Aug 13, 2018
Do you agree with these?? Why or why not?!?

On the bottom of pg 87
Since my audiobook doesn't have page numbers, what is the context of these two quotes?

My audiobook seems to be a horribly condensed version where I don't remember either of these quotes appearing, so the lack of context may be causing me to misinterpret something... but just on face value, I'll venture my thoughts...

“This, she knew, was a tribute to her, the rarest one person could pay another: the tribute of feeling free to acknowledge one’s own greatness, knowing that it is understood.”
I don't know about this one. Smacks of pride to me. Ego.

I think the proverb applies here, "Let another man praise thee, and not thine own mouth; a stranger, and not thine own lips."

[Edited to add: Now that I've seen the context, it looks like that's exactly what happened. She praised him, and he acknowledged the praise. Don't see anything wrong with that. However, I'm still not sure that's the rarest form of tribute someone could pay to another.]

“If joy is the aim and the core of existence, she thought, and if that which has the power to give one joy is always guarded as one’s deepest secret, then they had seen each other naked in that moment.”

Hahaha maybe I'm not as subtle as some people, but I've never made the LEAST effort to keep it a secret what gives me joy.

From the shallow...
"OH MY GOODNESS THIS CARDAMOM OAT MILK LATTE!!!"
"It's orange! So gorgeous!"

To free-time pleasures...
"Ah! Hiking is so glorious!"
"You've got to read this book/listen to this song/see this video! It's so amazing!"

To deeper, more "core" joys...

I don't feel threatened by letting people knows what gives me joy. I had no idea other people might. Why would this feel threatening to someone?

Last edited:

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
I feel like I know a lot of the negative characters in real life. Mouch, Jim Taggart, but not enough of the positive ones.

Wtf do you think is going on with the rats in the cellar?!? - what always goes on with rats. They're looking for the next boat to jump onto before the one they're on sinks. The sad part is that they might legitimately be too stupid to realize they're the ones sinking the boat with all their rat crap.
Explain in your own words the stupid Dog Eat Dog Rule, please? Stupid.
Didn’t Dagny do simply great at shifting things around for the railroad?! Yes, but she as a character hasn't accepted that she's only building things that will be stolen by others.
Poor Dan Conway..
Rearden is everything sexy about a dangerous man who accomplishes things.. normally I would feel a great deal of compassion towards him because he is so alone (I work with guys like this every week) .. but Rearden .. Rearden reminds me of a samurai blade. Nice to look at but don’t bring it home.. Hank Rearden is indeed sexy. :rofl:

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Since my audiobook doesn't have page numbers, what is the context of these two quotes?

My audiobook seems to be a horribly condensed version where I don't remember either of these quotes appearing, so the lack of context may be causing me to misinterpret something... but just on face value, I'll venture my thoughts...

“This, she knew, was a tribute to her, the rarest one person could pay another: the tribute of feeling free to acknowledge one’s own greatness, knowing that it is understood.” – Source quote: Atlas Shrugged

“If joy is the aim and the core of existence, she thought, and if that which has the power to give one joy is always guarded as one’s deepest secret, then they had seen each other naked in that moment.” – Source quote: Atlas Shrugged

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Aug 13, 2018
“This, she knew, was a tribute to her, the rarest one person could pay another: the tribute of feeling free to acknowledge one’s own greatness, knowing that it is understood.” – Source quote: Atlas Shrugged

“If joy is the aim and the core of existence, she thought, and if that which has the power to give one joy is always guarded as one’s deepest secret, then they had seen each other naked in that moment.” – Source quote: Atlas Shrugged
Wow, thank you.

I see I am missing out on a lot. This whole scene was cut down to like two paragraphs in my version. Guess I need to switch over to the real book. :rofl:

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ

I think most people hide the source of their biggest shame, not the source of their joy.

I don't know about this one. Smacks of pride to me. Ego.

I think the proverb applies here, "Let another man praise thee, and not thine own mouth; a stranger, and not thine own lips."

Hahaha maybe I'm not as subtle as some people, but I've never made the LEAST effort to keep it a secret what gives me joy.

From the shallow...
"OH MY GOODNESS THIS CARDAMOM OAT MILK LATTE!!!"
"It's orange! So gorgeous!"

To free-time pleasures...
"Ah! Hiking is so glorious!"
"You've got to read this book/listen to this song/see this video! It's so amazing!"

To deeper, more "core" joys...

I don't feel threatened by letting people knows what gives me joy. I had no idea other people might. Why would this feel threatening to someone?

Imagine growing up in a family, or living in a world, that constantly ridiculed the things that make you happy. Maybe you're a photographer and your family is like oh there he goes taking pictures again. Or maybe you're an aspiring railroad executive, but you're a woman! You might hide your greatest source of joy then.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
But Wesley Mouch!?!?! Is REARDEN'S Washington man!?!?!

Yes!! And THATS why Paul Larkin was hinting that Rearden should get a new man!
My audiobook seems to be a horribly condensed version

Oh no. I hate hate hate HATE when book publishers do that!! Gahhh!

Same same! I’m a very transparent person.. so the idea of hiding things.. hm. I really don’t know what I hide but certainly Not my joy.

Imagine growing up in a family, or living in a world, that constantly ridiculed the things that make you happy. Maybe you're a photographer and your family is like oh there he goes taking pictures again. Or maybe you're an aspiring railroad executive, but you're a woman! You might hide your greatest source of joy then.

Ohhhh I get it now. Thank you. Shame is not an effective emotional manipulator on me... but I have known a few ppl like this who grew up being shamed for stuff. Try as I might to understand them, they give me an icky feeling. Poor ppl. :(

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
If joy is the aim and the core of existence, she thought, and if that which has the power to give one joy is always guarded as one’s deepest secret, then they had seen each other naked in that moment.
Reminds me of this Marianne Williamson quote which means so much to so many...

Our deepest fear is not that we are weak. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world ... As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

I also interpret this joy-producing part of ourselves as being an innuendo to our “private” parts

Strategery

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
298%
Jun 25, 2019
They're looking for the next boat to jump onto before the one they're on sinks. The sad part is that they might legitimately be too stupid to realize they're the ones sinking the boat with all their rat crap.

I love this, wonderfully put.

I see I am missing out on a lot. This whole scene was cut down to like two paragraphs in my version. Guess I need to switch over to the real book. :rofl:

Do you have that version?

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Reminds me of this Marianne Williamson quote which means so much to so many...

I also interpret this joy-producing part of ourselves as being an innuendo to our “private” parts

There’s definitely a sexual charge here in the writing but I hadn’t thought of it in that specific of a way. I suppose Rand could be hinting that orgasms are joyful?

I don’t think it’s a healthy connection Rand is making here but I can’t.. hm. Accomplishments give us a boost of pride in ourselves. The moment Dagny and Hank share here seems like it would be an unselfish one since there’s trust but then Hank likens it to selfishness.. materialism.

Sex could be seen as both though I suppose, the fierce (selfish but not horrible) joy of triumph OR the pure unselfish joy of sharing and relaxing while being who you are...

Either way my mind keeps rolling around this phrase..

the tribute of feeling free to acknowledge one’s own greatness, knowing that it is understood.

I think the greater tribute to a friend is acknowledging one’s own weakness or vulnerability or pain. I don’t think I give that type of tribute to many, if any.

This section is powerful. What someone doesn’t share often tells you more about their character than what they will or at the very least it might just tell you what they don’t worry about? I don’t know.

These two characters are brilliant and fierce but, by all intents and purposes, Hank and Dagny are horribly alone in the world. I wouldn’t want to be like them.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
The moment Dagny and Hank share here seems like it would be an unselfish one since there’s trust but then Hank likens it to selfishness.. materialism.

From where I'm sitting, this scene is one in which Dagny is a beacon is light for Hank. He's not been exposed to many people who are like Dagny; he is surrounded by idiots, buffoons and leeches.

To get exposure to Dagny is like seeing the world as it is for the first time; and as he tries to reconcile the fact that there are other people in the world who share his values, he is conflicted because it's so different to how everyone else he knows thinks about the world where he is the weird one who is materialistic.

Just my take.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
These chapters for me were just how I remembered them.

Character development mostly. We see two sides of the argument emerging. The very political and central planning side and the apolitical get it done and frustrated side.

I have to say I often relate so much to the almost depressed way about both Dagny and Hank. Surrounded by way too many people that "don't get it." Both from a business perspective and a political perspective. It is highly frustrating to the point of wanting to refrain from some social encounters.

I am not saying it is right to have elitist reclusive tenancies, but I am saying wisdom is a blessing and a curse. I would argue the ultimate wisdom would be how to be both wise and transcend the frustration with the blissfully ignorant and systemic problems with the world.

The statue paints a picture of a man that built a world class company. Worked hard and did what he could to make it successful as possible... This brought a transportation option to people who needed one, supplies to people that needed them, jobs to people that needed them and profits to people that were a part it. A virtuous endeavor. To the new world, he is a relic, a greedy miser that was out for profits. Profits however are an EFFECT not a CAUSE. The cause of profit is value.

This misunderstanding and unidimensional thinking of the the James Taggart type parallels a lot of what we hear from people like Bernie Sanders when they BRAG about erasing the net worth of billionaires with a wealth tax. A remedy for an effect without even considering the cause. What cause created that billionaire? What cause are you erasing by erasing that profit motive effect?

If we were to accurately argue what he wants to do, it is to get rid of the ability to become a billionaire. Which means getting rid of the profit motive. Which means getting rid of the things we do for profit. Which means dumping an entire enterprise that employs, serves and profits an asking market of people.

This type of thinking helps me sympathize with Dan Conway especially. Why bother trying to do anything else when what you build gets stolen by an imbecilic majority.

I don't really know what else to say. I am ready to read 5 and 6. The parallels of this book to present society are pissing me off.

My new thoughts... Democracy is mob rule and the only reason any of us pay taxes (let them rob us) is that we have less guns than the them.

Last edited:

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
I have more stuff to talk about and I’ve had my coffee..

I really want to talk about the Commandment of Control.

It’s sooo easy to demonize James Taggart because he’s such a sniveling weak rat type of person but Dagny is about to make the same damn mistake!!

Taggart broke this commandment when trusted Orren Boyle for rail and invested so heavily in d’Anconio for profits. He put the welfare of the entire company in those peoples hands.

Now Dagny is resting her ENTIRE company in Reardens hands?!?!

According to Eddie, who I think we can trust even though he’s apparently pouring his heart out to a guy (I THINK ITS THE SAME BRAKEMAN who was humming the fifth concerto!!! I’m weirdly obsessed with minor characters like the newspaper seller and the bartender..but I digress) he barely knows.. the company is doing really really badly.

I’m genuinely curious to compare this type of situation to a modern day equivalent. Who here would bet the fate of their entire company on an untried substance??

Rearden’s “yes” is glorious. He is quite literally being Dagny’s salvation. #swoon

BUT IS SHE BEING SMART?!?

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
I have more stuff to talk about and I’ve had my coffee..

I really want to talk about the Commandment of Control.

It’s sooo easy to demonize James Taggart because he’s such a sniveling weak rat type of person but Dagny is about to make the same damn mistake!!

Taggart broke this commandment when trusted Orren Boyle for rail and invested so heavily in d’Anconio for profits. He put the welfare of the entire company in those peoples hands.

Now Dagny is resting her ENTIRE company in Reardens hands?!?!

According to Eddie, who I think we can trust even though he’s apparently pouring his heart out to a guy (I THINK ITS THE SAME BRAKEMAN who was humming the fifth concerto!!! I’m weirdly obsessed with minor characters like the newspaper seller and the bartender..but I digress) he barely knows.. the company is doing really really badly.

I’m genuinely curious to compare this type of situation to a modern day equivalent. Who here would bet the fate of their entire company on an untried substance??

Rearden’s “yes” is glorious. He is quite literally being Dagny’s salvation. #swoon

BUT IS SHE BEING SMART?!?

The difference is Dagny has "no choice". She can't make the steel herself. His is clearly better. No one else has it. No choice probably isn't correct, but his is clearly the best option. She'd have to put her order in with someone, and he's also the only one that can deliver in that time frame. Oren Boyle wasn't delivering the steel.

She also wouldn't take credit for someone else's idea.

James has a frequently made the lesser choice when he actually had options. He doesn't make the best financial decision for the business, he is swayed by many factors. I haven't completely figured out what his motivations are, but they're obviously very different than Dagny's.

Besides it's not untested, Dagny looked at the science that Reardon had produced. She read his studies. It just hasn't been approved by outside people.

So yes, obviously I think she's being smart.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
I need more ppl to weigh in cuz I really don’t know. I’m still making up my mind.

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
From where I'm sitting, this scene is one in which Dagny is a beacon is light for Hank. He's not been exposed to many people who are like Dagny; he is surrounded by idiots, buffoons and leeches.

To get exposure to Dagny is like seeing the world as it is for the first time; and as he tries to reconcile the fact that there are other people in the world who share his values, he is conflicted because it's so different to how everyone else he knows thinks about the world where he is the weird one who is materialistic.

Just my take.

Wow. I felt this comment deserved more than just a like. :smile:

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
This type of thinking helps me sympathize with Dan Conway especially. Why bother trying to do anything else when what you build gets stolen.

Hank says something about the whole situation w/ Conway when he said that type of ineptitude is worthless or self-defeating.. we just have to keep going.

If the martyrdom of one saint can open a nation to Christianity I’m assuming that the martyrdom of one excellent business might pave the way for industrial change? That’s a research project.. I wonder how many amazing companies/ppl went first.. sacrificed.. like Tesla.

She is being something more important than being smart. She is being decisive.

I fundamentally disagree with this down to the marrow of my bones and I may end up having an emotional breakdown about it somewhere in the future but until then.. I love your thoughts. Lol.

Are we really rating action over intelligence? This has to be a false dichotomy.. you need both.

Dagny has other options. She could leave Taggart Transcontinental entirely. She could merge with Conway.. she could.. oh I dunno.. something!!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.