The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

assistance with 3D printers

W4RHRSE

High Speed, Low Drag
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Mar 10, 2016
Central Virginia
Hello Fastlaners!!!

I am looking into getting a 3D printer and I would like to ask anyone who has one what I should look for in them or specific model that works best.

I am looking to get good detail in items up to 12"-18".

I am completely new to this so any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your help!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

wilddog

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto
Are you skilled in 3D modelling? No point getting a 3D printer if you can't model.

Best plug-and-play printer is the Zortrax M200. I have one and I love it.
There are lots of options but most require assembly, manual calibration, and general 3D printer mechanical know-how.
The M200 is stupid easy to use. Just upload your model, select a layer height and print.

FYI. Your print size requirements are pretty huge and really limits your options. Prototyping doesn't necessarily have to be printed to size. Scale down the size or print your design in parts and assemble after.

Last edited:

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
I have a Flashforge Creator X and I'd recommend it, but if I was you I'd seriously consider just using shapeways, or 3dhubs, but Shapeways quality is unbeatable compared to the home layer style printers

Bouncing Soul

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 13, 2014
I have a Flashforge Creator Pro and a MakerBot Replicator 5th gen. I am also a reseller of MakerBot and recently XYZ printing though I haven't got one in or put them on the site yet.

MakerBot is like the Apple of the consumer 3D printer world. They are very plug and play, have a great supporting software ecosystem and support, and really are the only company with a brand in the space. They also cost the most.

I think XYZ is the best value today if you're willing to work on your own; they're very low cost and good quality supported by a billion dollar company.

My business in languishing as I do other stuff or I'd be able to point you to the blog post I intend to write on just what you're asking.

It's a fair point that you need to be decent at 3D modeling if you want to do your own detailed prototypes...are you? If not, is it worth your time to learn?

Bouncing Soul

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 13, 2014
BTW- a 12-18" print envelope is not typical. Wilddog is right in that you might want to do scaled prototypes on your desktop printer and then job out a full scale prototype once you think you have your design right.

W4RHRSE

High Speed, Low Drag
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Mar 10, 2016
Central Virginia
I have NO experiance at all with 3D printers or modeling. I was looking to scan my items and then print them.

As formentioned, I have zero knowledge in how they work, what to do, planning, programming or duicating.

Obviously, I am on a steep learning curve. But to accomplish what I want to do, it would be easiest to use one.

Are there courses I should look into or is this something I could bumble my way through?

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

QDF

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Jan 1, 2014
I have NO experiance at all with 3D printers or modeling. I was looking to scan my items and then print them.

As formentioned, I have zero knowledge in how they work, what to do, planning, programming or duicating.

Obviously, I am on a steep learning curve. But to accomplish what I want to do, it would be easiest to use one.

Are there courses I should look into or is this something I could bumble my way through?

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

I would recommend looking into using a site like Shapeways.com before buying your own 3D printer.

Check out this link for some more options similar to Shapeways: http://lifehacker.com/five-best-3d-printing-services-1706410803/1707029323

In addition, check some of the local libraries close to you. There are an estimated 250 public libraries with 3D printers available to use.

http://3dprint.com/40170/library-3d-printing-services/

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.