The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Are you fastlane thoroughbred?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
I am interested to hear how fastlane your parents or family members were. Did anyone in your family show you the way, or did you find the fastlane yourself?

My parents are the dictionary definition of the slowlane. But more importantly, they are very happy there. They are happy to be slowly, "safely" accumulating wealth. Even my siblings (19 and 26) are both clearly slowlane too, but again, happy to be there. I often look back and wonder what put me on this path.

So, are you Fastlane thoroughbred? If not, how did you get into this lane?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
I am interested to hear how fastlane your parents or family members were. Did anyone in your family show you the way, or did you find the fastlane yourself?

My parents are the dictionary definition of the slowlane. But more importantly, they are very happy there. They are happy to be slowly, "safely" accumulating wealth. Even my siblings (19 and 26) are both clearly slowlane too, but again, happy to be there. I often look back and wonder what put me on this path.

Nope, parents are slowlaner "self-employed". I became interested in the fastlane when about 8 years ago my dad tried to sell his business and realized it wasn't sellable because it couldn't run without him. Ever since then I've been interested in building something separate from my time. I remember him saying "I've spent the last 20 years building myself a job" and "I'll never retire" and "I'm too old to go work for somebody else".

JWelch

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Aug 12, 2016
Arizona

My parents were and still are sidewalkers. Unfortunately, I had zero help or influence to start a business. They always taught me that "It takes money to make money" so I never even believed that it was possible for me. It wasn't until I had the inner desire for something more out of life that I began reading and looking up new interesting book titles. Then I came across the Fastlane, MJ was so selfless in his generosity to write the book for all of us. I feel forever indebted to him because he single handedly completely changed the course of not only my life, but generations thereafter. I'm not even close to a millionaire but I will be. Even if I fail at business I won't have to have the regret of never trying and knowing that when all is said and done I left it all on the field. And I can live with that.

Last edited:

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States

Cool thread topic!

My parents were both slowlane. They'll have a nest egg to retire on, at traditional retirement ages.

My first look at business was my dad having lots of side hustles, however. He'd find a good deal or sale, and then buy up 20-30 rc helicopters or whatever, and then sell them on eBay. He's been selling stuff on eBay since the beginning. He'd also pick up stuff to re-sell around the neighborhood on his morning jogs that coincided with trash day.

My first attempts at business looked a lot like this. Flipping different electronics/furniture/other things.

I was always a bit of a rebel in school. Always bending the rules, but just enough to technically stay inside the boundaries. Some teachers fostered this independence in me, others stifled it, and they became my enemies. I often overachieved just to spite these teachers or counselors who said I couldn't do this or that.

This behavior carried over into my full-time job employment, and I became frustrated and unruly, especially the closer I got to having a cash-flowing business on the side.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
My mother is a published author. She saw a need in the publishing business that needed filled, built a business around serving that need. Was in business for about 12 years, during my teens and twenties.

Problem is, if she made $1...she spent $3. It didn't end well.

I grew up in poverty (homeless a couple times) so having money was a new thing for her.

I guess I was kind of born this way though. Would sell my toys to my sisters, mow lawns for cash, etc.

I despise working for other's with a fiery passion that burns deep in my belly.

I *hate* not having control.

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
I guess I was kind of born this way though. Would sell my toys to my sisters, mow lawns for cash, etc.

I despise working for other's with a fiery passion that burns deep in my belly.

I think you are my spirit animal.

Great input so far guys. I love the different background and avenues we have taken to reach a mutual mindset.

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
Everyone in my family is slowlane. They keep bothering me to get a city job. They say I'm promised good benefits and a pension when I retire. Hated the sound of this, my soul felt lost. So I searched for an answer.

I searched, discovered, and read TMF . Not only does the book resonate with me, it's my dying desire and passion (hate this word) to make this Fastlane succeed. I can show my family what's possible in life by straying away from the slowlane doctrine.

*edit* thanks @Waspy for reps!

Last edited:

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
They say I'm promised good benefits and a pension when I retire.

I think this would have a lot more pull if it were true. Knowing that that world literally doesn't exist anymore makes the decision to leave slowlane a lot easier.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.